Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diarrhea Causing Blisters
Leigh 10:55 AM 09-27-2016
I have a kid who has been on and off antibiotics recently for recurrent ear infection. I blame his loose stools and being prone to rash on that, but today...between 10 & noon (scheduled diaper changes) he had a very pale, loose/watery, odorless stool that caused blisters on his bottom (where the elastic of the diaper sits on the leg).

I'm concerned about how quick he is to diaper rash, anyway, but wondering if there is something else to worry about with the blisters? He normally does get a rash from loose stools (and he's really prone to loose ones, and they always cause a rash-it's like they're burning his bottom instantly), but I haven't seen blisters before (they look like water-filled blisters). He doesn't get juice or a lot of citrus at my house, I can't say about at home.

Anyone have experience with this? Blame it on antibiotics? Bacteria? I'm debating on whether I should ask his mom to take him to the doctor over this-I've never seen anything like it before, and while I have seen some BAD diaper rashes in my time, never one like this or one that blistered.
organicdclady 11:02 AM 09-27-2016
I would call for pick up and require a doctors visit. My niece got blisters from diarrhea (at home) and within a day they were infected. It was terrible for her.
Baby wipes with alcohol can also make the blisters/rash worse.
Leigh 11:06 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
I would call for pick up and require a doctors visit. My niece got blisters from diarrhea (at home) and within a day they were infected. It was terrible for her.
Baby wipes with alcohol can also make the blisters/rash worse.
That's what I'm concerned about-whether these are being cause by bacteria. His mom is on the way to pick up already-he gets picked up around 1PM. I'm going to ask her to have the doctor take a look. He always gets a rash after a loose stool, but it's just redness (though it's worse than on other kids with sensitive bottoms)-this freaked me out.
daycarediva 11:06 AM 09-27-2016
If he is prone to loose stools in general, I would start a food log and have Mom do the same.

It's possible the antibiotics wiped out the good bacteria in his digestive tract. I would be asking mom (and giving myself) probiotic yogurt.

Do you use preventative cream at every change? If not, I would, any barrier cream would help.

Alcohol/fragrance free wipes (even wet paper towels if the skin is THAT sensitive)

Plus, I would check him more frequently. For kids like this I was literally checking every 15 minutes between changes. Annoying but necessary.
Leigh 11:15 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
If he is prone to loose stools in general, I would start a food log and have Mom do the same.

It's possible the antibiotics wiped out the good bacteria in his digestive tract. I would be asking mom (and giving myself) probiotic yogurt.

Do you use preventative cream at every change? If not, I would, any barrier cream would help.

Alcohol/fragrance free wipes (even wet paper towels if the skin is THAT sensitive)

Plus, I would check him more frequently. For kids like this I was literally checking every 15 minutes between changes. Annoying but necessary.
I did put a cream on him after the first change, but not on his legs (where the blisters are). I definitely need to check him more often. Usually, he stinks when he needs a change or you can see the poop with a peek down the back of the diaper. This one was watery, so it didn't smoosh up like they usually do-and skin colored at that. I don't know how long he had the stool in there, but I already thought that I need to set a timer to remind myself to open his diaper up to check him, at least until this loose stool stuff passes. The stool itself looked like "sick poop" to me, but it wasn't stinky like usual.

God, I'm glad I have people to talk to who don't mind talking about poop! I'm more concerned about this kid, I think, because he's my cuddly little favorite!
TXhomedaycare 11:38 AM 09-27-2016
had this issue last year. Dcb had double ear infection and antibiotics caused him to have diarrhea and terrible rash. I had to send him home it was so bad. The doctor give him special rash cream and recommended he take a probiotic and be changed more often. The hard part was that due to the antibiotics his pooped never smelled so I constantly had to check him. Depending how bad the diarrhea is I would send home due to symptoms.
Leigh 03:57 PM 09-27-2016
He had already looked better when he got picked up (and he'd had 2 more stools, too). Mom looked alarmed when I told her about it, and I just suggested she start probiotics right away, talk to the doctor, and try cortisone/antifungal creams covered with zinc oxide until then. Poor kid.
Reply Up