Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Meals For A Picky Eater
Tabby 04:40 PM 07-31-2017
Hi I am new here and I am glad to have found this forum.

I own my own in-home daycare. I currently have 3 children full time and one child part time.

I need some advice on a picky eater that I have. He is 4 years old, will be 5 in Nov. I have been watching him (and his little sister) for just over a year and all he eats for meals is pb & j sandwiches, oatmeal, chicken nuggets/patties, hotdogs, chips, most fruits, only 1 veggie...corn. He will not eat anything with noodles. I have tried different things but they just go to waste. I have asked the parents to make me up a list of items he will eat. And they did, but it basically consists of the same foods I just listed above.
So what do you feed a picky eater? I am getting tired of feeding them the same stuff.
Thanks
Leigh 05:12 PM 07-31-2017
Originally Posted by Tabby:
Hi I am new here and I am glad to have found this forum.

I own my own in-home daycare. I currently have 3 children full time and one child part time.

I need some advice on a picky eater that I have. He is 4 years old, will be 5 in Nov. I have been watching him (and his little sister) for just over a year and all he eats for meals is pb & j sandwiches, oatmeal, chicken nuggets/patties, hotdogs, chips, most fruits, only 1 veggie...corn. He will not eat anything with noodles. I have tried different things but they just go to waste. I have asked the parents to make me up a list of items he will eat. And they did, but it basically consists of the same foods I just listed above.
So what do you feed a picky eater? I am getting tired of feeding them the same stuff.
Thanks
I make a wide variety of healthy foods (a protein, a carb, 2 veggies or a fruit and a veggie, and milk at lunch). It could be hotdish, prime rib, shrimp scampi, tacos, or ham and cheese sandwiches. I don't plan meals around picky eating. I serve them and they decide whether to eat it or not. I would not serve chips, I would not serve hot dogs, and chicken nuggets are a rare treat around here. The only way that kids get out of that picky rut is to try new things. My OWN kid had broccoli served to him at least 30 times before picking it up one day, taking a bite and saying "MMMMM, broccoli! Thanks, Mom!" (he was 2 at the time).

I have another kid whose mom admits that she has never served him a vegetable at home because she, her husband, and her other 2 kids don't like them. They eat processed, easy to cook or microwave meals and a lot of fast food at home. I put vegetables on his plate every day. He used to get mad and take his plate straight to the trash the moment I gave it to him and dump it out. I didn't say a word. When he asked for something to eat as soon as lunch was cleaned up, I just told him that I JUST gave him lunch, and we'll have snack in 3 hours. Sometimes, he did the same at snack, and when his mom showed up, he would BEG for junk food to take home with him (my husband has pop tarts and chips in the cupboard, and he knows it). I told him that he could eat at supper, and that I already gave him snack. One day, he started eating, and now he asks me to make him green beans (his new favorite food) or to make bean burritos.

That said, some kids have LEGIT food issues. I have a girl who threw up one day after lunch because she thought her beef enchiladas had fish in them (they did not). She is so averse to seafood that she will vomit. I had a kid years ago who was the same way with mashed potatoes, of all things! When I have kids like that, I'll serve them an alternative. Some kids have other issues that require feeding therapy. I'll accommodate that. I just won't do so with kids who are holding out for junk food.
Tabby 05:21 PM 07-31-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I make a wide variety of healthy foods (a protein, a carb, 2 veggies or a fruit and a veggie, and milk at lunch). It could be hotdish, prime rib, shrimp scampi, tacos, or ham and cheese sandwiches. I don't plan meals around picky eating. I serve them and they decide whether to eat it or not. I would not serve chips, I would not serve hot dogs, and chicken nuggets are a rare treat around here. The only way that kids get out of that picky rut is to try new things. My OWN kid had broccoli served to him at least 30 times before picking it up one day, taking a bite and saying "MMMMM, broccoli! Thanks, Mom!" (he was 2 at the time).

I have another kid whose mom admits that she has never served him a vegetable at home because she, her husband, and her other 2 kids don't like them. They eat processed, easy to cook or microwave meals and a lot of fast food at home. I put vegetables on his plate every day. He used to get mad and take his plate straight to the trash the moment I gave it to him and dump it out. I didn't say a word. When he asked for something to eat as soon as lunch was cleaned up, I just told him that I JUST gave him lunch, and we'll have snack in 3 hours. Sometimes, he did the same at snack, and when his mom showed up, he would BEG for junk food to take home with him (my husband has pop tarts and chips in the cupboard, and he knows it). I told him that he could eat at supper, and that I already gave him snack. One day, he started eating, and now he asks me to make him green beans (his new favorite food) or to make bean burritos.

That said, some kids have LEGIT food issues. I have a girl who threw up one day after lunch because she thought her beef enchiladas had fish in them (they did not). She is so averse to seafood that she will vomit. I had a kid years ago who was the same way with mashed potatoes, of all things! When I have kids like that, I'll serve them an alternative. Some kids have other issues that require feeding therapy. I'll accommodate that. I just won't do so with kids who are holding out for junk food.
Thank you! I have never cared for a child in my daycare that was a picky eater. When I got this one, I let him have what he wanted because I didn't want him to go home hungry. I honestly didn't even know that I could do that. I figured if i did, that the parents would call me in and I would get in trouble for starving the child.
Thank you for your advice. I will be making some changes with eating very soon.
LysesKids 05:02 AM 08-01-2017

This is how I handle it too... we do a lot of Ethnic & vegetarian meals, never sandwiches or processed meat of any kind. I had one mom thank me yesterday because her son will eat tons of things she won't; She doesn't want her son to be a junk food person like mom & dad - when it comes to legit allergies and stuff, I will accommodate with a Dr's written instructions
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 08-01-2017
Starving a child means purposely with holding food/water from them.

Providing them a healthy meal or snack they don't want to eat is THEIR choice. There is a huge difference there.
racemom 02:36 PM 08-04-2017

We have a policy that to get seconds you need to try a bite of everything. The only exception we ever made was boy who threw up when he ate pudding. I think it was a texture issue, but if he put it in his mouth he vomited. I thought every kid liked pudding because it's sweet, but nope!
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up