Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This a Horrible Time to Term?
Unregistered 11:26 AM 01-31-2020
I am logging out for privacy, but I have been a long-time lurker and occasional poster to this board.

Last night, the news came out that a major daycare center in my small rural community is closing in a few weeks. My understanding is that there are over 60 families who will be without child care. as far as I know, the other centers in town are waitlisted, especially for infants, and most in-home providers are full. my phone has been ringing off the hook and my notifications going crazy with calls to see if I have openings.

Ive been running a small in home daycare for the past couple of years, primarily with families of sibling groups that have been with me since the beginning. This past fall, I decided to add two spots and took on a new family which coincidentally, came from the daycare center that is now closing. While the parents are mostly fine, one of the children is just not fitting in. I've tried to give it time, and help him transition, but it is now gotten to the point where I dread the days that DCB is here. I treat him fairly but am not bonded to this child at all. Unfortunately, the other children in his age group don't enjoy playing with him (to be fair, they have mostly grown up together and attend the same preschool, whereas new DCB does not attend). The days he is here are just a little more stressful.

A few weeks ago, I started thinking that maybe I would interview families to replace them. With the news that came out last night, it's a great time for me to interview, but is it an absolutely horrible thing to do as a person to terminate this family when I know they are going to struggle with finding childcare? I guess I'm just struggling with separating the business side of things with the emotional side of things. Honest opinions?
Cat Herder 11:30 AM 01-31-2020
Always do what is best for you and your family, they will always do the same. Anything else will lead to resentment, stress and burnout.

We are business owners, not social services.
Ariana 11:34 AM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Always do what is best for you and your family, they will always do the same. Anything else will lead to resentment, stress and burnout.

All of this
Snowmom 12:06 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

e.j. 04:09 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
With the news that came out last night, it's a great time for me to interview, but is it an absolutely horrible thing to do as a person to terminate this family when I know they are going to struggle with finding childcare? I guess I'm just struggling with separating the business side of things with the emotional side of things. Honest opinions?
I can understand why you'd be hesitant to term this family now but I agree with the others. Do what's best for you and your day care.
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 02-01-2020
See those 4 replies above mine?? Listen to them. Very wise and wonderful.
It sounds like your stress has been building up for awhile and against what you're feeling, I think it's the perfect time to term this dck if he's just not fitting in. The timing is just coincidental. Why burn yourself out to keep him? Parents can find another option when they're pushed. Sounds like you need to seek what's best for your group and your mental health. Good luck!!!!
rosieteddy 07:31 AM 02-01-2020
Could you justify the terming .Like fill his spot with a full time infant .That way it won't feel like your just taking advantage of the influx of new clients.In the end do what you think will be best for you and your program, they would.
Tags:business management, interviewing for wait list
Reply Up