Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>veggies...just thinking out loud
mamamanda 09:28 AM 04-24-2015
So, thanks to the advice I've received from all of you I no longer engage in food battles with my kids. I serve, they eat or not, we move on to the next meal. That being said, I'm noticing that 3 or 4 of my crew, ds included, only eat about 4 veggies and 3 fruits. I serve a variety, but they typically refuse to even try it. It's important to me to serve it b/c it's healthy for me, I'm modeling good nutrition, and I want 7m.o. ds introduced to a wide variety of healthy foods However, my thought is, I'd rather see them eat a veggie every day, even if its the same veggie, rather than see them eat no veggie.

So I'm considering serving 2 fruits & veggies at lunch each day. Maybe serving one that I know everyone likes and one that a few will refuse. That way they're all still getting some good food, but I'm not giving up the variety for the few that eat it. I'm just concerned about the extra work that might entail.

I have started teaching them about a specific fruit or veggie each day. We make it fun, talk about how specifically that veggie helps our body, they have the option to try the food and do a craft about it. What are your thoughts? Anyone serve more than one at a meal w/o making a big deal out of it?
Up