Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Newborn Stimulation
dewybrook 09:49 PM 08-04-2008
I have a three month old in a daycare and the crib they put him in during the day has nothing for him to look at. just a plain blue sheet and the bars. there is no bumper, no mobile, nothing. I brought in two clean care bears from home for him to look at. (There are no other infants that use this crib.) They were allowed to stay ther for the last 6 weeks. now all of the sudden I am told they have to go home. I can not send in anything with the baby. Is this normal. don't they have to provide some kind of stimulation for him? Especially if I cannot.
pingaa3 01:52 PM 08-05-2008
Personally it doesn't sound like a very healthy daycare. I know newborn interaction is less than when they get older. But there are toys and other things that the child can play with. Plus the option for caregiver to wear the child in safe baby sling. What about tummy time?

Not sure of the laws in your state, but some states do have laws regarding what can or cannot be in cribs/playpens (i.e. stuffed animals, excessive blankets, toys etc.)
Texasjeepgirl 05:02 PM 08-05-2008
You don't mention what state you live in...
But...In Texas, Minimum Standards state that we can't use mobils, bumper pads, or have stuffed animals in the crib...
Choking and suffocation risks.
I have been written up before by Child Care Licensing inspector for having a stuffed toy in the crib,(placed in the crib by the parent when dropping off the child).
However, I do have toys that attach to the side of the crib....music toys....designed to attach to the side of the crib. You could speak to your caregiver/daycare about possibly providing something like that...which should meet safety regulations for infants.
lana 05:32 PM 08-05-2008
I work in a childcare center. and bumper pads are not the best for a infant because when they roll it can cause suffercation. as far as a stimulation for your child to look at, you can suggest that they get a mobile or even a side crib toy like the fish bowl at light up and play music. They hook to the bars of the crib.
momof3 06:23 AM 12-11-2008
In the state of Maryland, we are required to take a SIDS prevention class. Blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals, are directly contributed to increase in SIDS and are strictly forbidden. Now, on the other hand, the baby should have items of stimulation during waking hours. If your baby is spending the entire day in a crib, then there is a problem. I would make some pop-in visits during the day at un-announced times. Best of Luck.
Unregistered 08:06 AM 12-12-2008
They should be working with your child......3 months old......When I was a infant supervisor in the daycare we couldn't have any of that stuff in the cribs also but the children were never in the crib unless they were sleeping. Most of the babies stimulation should be comming from the provider.
Unregistered 07:55 PM 12-15-2008
Speaking for myself, babies and children are only in bed or crib for sleeping only in our daycare. We are not allowed anything in our cribs either (American Pediatrics Association), recommends nothing in their crib, except a firm mattress, no padding under a tight fitting sheet (no toys, bottles, bumper pads, nothing else), and they are teaching "feet to foot". That is placing baby on back only (unless doctors say a specific medical reason prevents this), with their feet touching the bottom foot of the bed and only a light sheet or thin blanket tucked firmly in at the bottom and sides, not to go above their underarms. This helps prevent baby accidentally going from the top of the bed, scooting down and suffocating in blankets, they can basically only scoot up. They are to be put to bed only pappoose wrapped and in non bulky/loose pajamas and not be dressed to warmly. These are things we are mandatorily taught to help prevent SIDS.

Our babies get all the following on demand: fed, cuddled, talked to, given time with swing, floor (tummy/back), bouncer, exersaucer. It may not look exciting to see a plain crib, but truthfully, a plain crib is for a calm, restful, sleeping time. It isn't good for a baby/child to be intentionally kept stimulated every moment of the day. Quiet time is also a learning environment/experience and is a good time for them to be revitalized.

Also, your provider probably found out it is not allowed or good to put things in the crib. We go through a lot and get scrutinized. Ask her if she can explain it to you.

I don't allow anything to bed with babies or children. I had a parent get mad b/c I wouldn't let her 20 month old sleep with a pictur of his family under his full size very fluffy pillow and his 21/2 foot long fire truck in his crib. I put a stop to all items brought to my home (only pacifiers and empty bottles). I have had parents bring bottles with laxatives, medicines, etc... We now only give freshly made bottles, we make. We have tons of toys (some toys brought here have had loose parts, etc...). Try to be understanding, a provider is dealing withas many as 12 parents or more (a center can be dealing with hundreds).

Have a wonderful Christmas.
Tags:newborn, newborn routine
Reply Up