Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging Full Day Rate For 3 Hours Of Care
Farmerswife 05:45 AM 02-08-2018
I'm looking at changing my rates and I really like the daily flat rate based on pick up time. I have a family who will often bring their child on DCM's day off just for a few hours to get groceries, work out, take a nap...I really have no clue what she is doing! It kind of drives me crazy that she can't handle her child in public for a few hours, but I agree to it, so I can't complain. Do you still charge the full day rate if they are only with you for a few hours? If she ever brings her during lunch, then she leaves her for the full day, but sometimes it's only 2-3 hours in the morning before lunch. I like to help families out, but it's not worth it for $5-$10, but I feel guilty charging $25 for 3 hours. WWYD?
Rockgirl 05:57 AM 02-08-2018
I would charge for a full day.
MomBoss 06:13 AM 02-08-2018
Charge for full day. Unless you can find another child that can use the other hours, That family is technicaly taking up a spot in your daycare ratio.
Homebody 06:31 AM 02-08-2018
If they aren't here for lunch and its less then 4 hours I knock off $5 from the daily rate. I have a small group though, and have a few openings right now. If I were at full capacity I would probably charge the full amount.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:52 AM 02-08-2018
Do you only charge for the days they attend? So if mom kept her home on her off day, she wouldn't pay at all?
storybookending 08:08 AM 02-08-2018
My new contracts I charge weekly. I will prorate if they miss a day for whatever reason (vacation, illness, grandma wants them for a day) but only up to 10 days a calendar year. After that it’s the full weekly rate regardless on if they are here or not.

My cousins child is dropping in today for a few hours due to a funeral. I am charging her an hourly rate just because this is the first and probably only time she’ll ever be here (her mom is a provider as well). If she were a regularly enrolled child I would not be offering this. They take up a space whether they are in attendance or not.
Farmerswife 09:45 AM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Do you only charge for the days they attend? So if mom kept her home on her off day, she wouldn't pay at all?
They pay for the hours they are here. I only accept families who need 4 or 5 days of care at least 8 hrs/day. They are a 4 day/week family and sometimes like to come on the 5th day so DCM can get her "running" done. I don't do drop in care because I don't like the way it changes the dynamic of the group, so their spot sits empty on the 5th day (which I'm OK with). It's nice to make a little extra money for the week, but I'm not sure it's worth it if it's just a few hours.
amberrose3dg 09:06 AM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by Farmerswife:
I'm looking at changing my rates and I really like the daily flat rate based on pick up time. I have a family who will often bring their child on DCM's day off just for a few hours to get groceries, work out, take a nap...I really have no clue what she is doing! It kind of drives me crazy that she can't handle her child in public for a few hours, but I agree to it, so I can't complain. Do you still charge the full day rate if they are only with you for a few hours? If she ever brings her during lunch, then she leaves her for the full day, but sometimes it's only 2-3 hours in the morning before lunch. I like to help families out, but it's not worth it for $5-$10, but I feel guilty charging $25 for 3 hours. WWYD?
I charge for the full day. How would you get someone else in for the remainder of the day? Plus it might keep her from dropping off as often if it is not needed.
HappyEverAfter 06:39 PM 02-08-2018
I only allow full time so the rate is the same regardless of whether you come 3 hours or 11 hours. I have one dck who comes usually just 4 hours. She pays exactly what the parents of my 10 hour dck pay.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 02-09-2018
I offer half days to current families but I will allow an option of 2 time frames ONLY.

First time frame is 8:00-11:00 (A.M. Block)
Second time frame is 2:00-5:00 (P.M. Block)

Half days do NOT include lunch or rest time.

Half days are in blocks of time only and if a parent chooses the A.M. time frame and doesn't pick up until 11:15, they are billed an entire day and/or considered late and charged the appropriate late fee ($1 per minute).

I understand using child care for a Dr appointment or a couple quick errands but care must fit into MY schedule or it is no longer an option.
Leigh 01:11 PM 02-12-2018
I had a sitter for 3 hours 2 weeks ago. I paid that sitter $40. Why would you feel guilty for charging $25? It's still less than paying a teen to come over and watch the child.
MarinaVanessa 02:33 PM 02-12-2018
I charge a flat weekly rate based on enrollment, not attendance. So yes, I charge even if they are only with me for a few hours in a day, or not at all.
Papa 07:34 AM 02-14-2018
Yes, I would charge full day rate. They are paying for a spot regardless how long they use. We are only allowed to have a certain amount of kids. Mom could have choice of leaving kid longer. Not your problem. If she doesn’t like a full day rate, then keep them home!
daycarediva 10:02 AM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I offer half days to current families but I will allow an option of 2 time frames ONLY.

First time frame is 8:00-11:00 (A.M. Block)
Second time frame is 2:00-5:00 (P.M. Block)

Half days do NOT include lunch or rest time.

Half days are in blocks of time only and if a parent chooses the A.M. time frame and doesn't pick up until 11:15, they are billed an entire day and/or considered late and charged the appropriate late fee ($1 per minute).

I understand using child care for a Dr appointment or a couple quick errands but care must fit into MY schedule or it is no longer an option.

This is pretty much how I do mine, too. I charge half my drop in rate, too. ($25)
Unregistered 11:54 AM 02-14-2018
I charge for a full day. I have 2 parents who work 4 day weeks. At first and with the first one, I gave her a discount for the day she didn't use and I'd plan stuff like park trips, my day off for apts etc. On that day but then she started contacting last minute for me to watch her baby while she did whatever. I ended up with ruined plans and had to redo statements so I pulled the plug on it by telling her she could either only come on the 4 days with no option of the 5th day or pay full price and keep doing what she was doing. She chose to pay full price and I would never give a discount for a ft spot again! Too much headache!
Tags:2018, hourly rates
Reply Up