Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Footwear
Josiegirl 03:16 AM 06-06-2016
I've asked the dcps to please send their children in sneakers because our yard has everything from rocks to mulch to sand, not to mention climbing and running. But now I'm thinking 'what about water play?' The way kids play in water tables, there is no way their shoes will stay dry.
Do you require certain shoes for summer? I don't want to have parents pay more money; some parents just cannot afford it.
MissAnn 03:52 AM 06-06-2016
I require lit side shoes that stay here. In the summer they bring water shoes or crocs.
Luvnmykidz 05:05 AM 06-06-2016
I require closed toe shoes for outdoor play that are well fitting. I also require water shoes to be left here for water play and pool days. My liability policy won't cover an accident if proper shoes are not on (flip flops). I send a list home with summer supplies thatus be brought in by a certain date or parents can choose to pay the $75 summer fee and I purchase the items.
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 06-06-2016
Yeh, I'm thinking I'll have to ask parents to bring water shoes too. Wish there was some place I could pick up several pair really cheap.
Ariana 04:49 PM 06-06-2016
I usually like sandals as long as the kid is ok with them and can play as normal. Parents know we get messy here so if their shoes get wet and messy it is not my problem. I just send them home in that. This week my dcg stepped in mud with ther nice white fancy sandals that grandma gave her and I hosed them off and sent her back playing barefoot while they dried!

Can they stand barefoot at the water table and then put shoes on when they are done? That is usually what we do here.
Luvnmykidz 05:35 PM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yeh, I'm thinking I'll have to ask parents to bring water shoes too. Wish there was some place I could pick up several pair really cheap.
Walmart sells them fairly cheap. Also sometimes Marshalls, Ross, The Children's Place, and Foreman Mills has them reasonably priced. Not sure if any of those stores are near you.
Josiegirl 03:09 AM 06-07-2016
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Walmart sells them fairly cheap. Also sometimes Marshalls, Ross, The Children's Place, and Foreman Mills has them reasonably priced. Not sure if any of those stores are near you.
I'll make a list of sizes and hit Walmart this weekend; almost time for my monthly trip there anyways. I've seen little crocs at yard sales too, just never thought about picking any up.
Josiegirl 03:11 AM 06-07-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I usually like sandals as long as the kid is ok with them and can play as normal. Parents know we get messy here so if their shoes get wet and messy it is not my problem. I just send them home in that. This week my dcg stepped in mud with ther nice white fancy sandals that grandma gave her and I hosed them off and sent her back playing barefoot while they dried!

Can they stand barefoot at the water table and then put shoes on when they are done? That is usually what we do here.
I've thought about that too but keeping them at the water table is a challenge, especially when they can make mud! Plus the extra chore of making sure they get their shoes on and leave them on. Maybe I'm too lazy in my old age. I want easy.
jenboo 06:03 AM 06-07-2016
I love the closed toed sandals for summers. Perfect for water play and keeps their toes protected in other areas of the yard
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 06-07-2016
Socks. If kids have closed toed shoe/sandals like Keens I let them use them to do water play but if they don't have those types of shoes I just ask for a pair of thick cushion short socks.

I have the kiddos wear the socks during water play and then we hang them on the clothes line afterwards...they're dry within the hour.

I know barefoot is the way to go in the summer but they can be barefooted on their parents watch not mine.
Ariana 09:50 AM 06-07-2016
I've thought about that too but keeping them at the water table is a challenge, especially when they can make mud! Plus the extra chore of making sure they get their shoes on and leave them on. Maybe I'm too lazy in my old age. I want easy.
Haha! See we love mud here and being barefoot.

I am legally unlicensed though and have low numbers!
Country Kids 11:57 AM 06-07-2016
I have my parents supply mud/rain boots and we play in them year round. As they outgrow them, the parents replace them.
Baby Beluga 12:17 PM 06-07-2016
I'll make a list of sizes and hit Walmart this weekend; almost time for my monthly trip there anyways. I've seen little crocs at yard sales too, just never thought about picking any up.
You can usually get them for $3 - $4 a pair at Walmart. In my area they will also put them on clearance towards the middle/end of July. Then they go down to like $1 - $2 per pair. Might want to stock up on different sizes when they go on clearance
NillaWafers 12:29 PM 06-07-2016
I've been thinking about doing this. Honestly, taking on and off shoes is such a pain! Maybe I will buy rain boots and water shoes - their feet get so dirty in crocs. But I love how easy both are to get on and off, then I won't have to worry about parents complaining about messing their shoes up (which they haven't, but I still think about it!).
Country Kids 12:49 PM 06-07-2016
I have my parents supply mud/rain boots and we play in them year round. As they outgrow them, the parents replace them.
Hunni Bee 11:29 AM 06-08-2016
We almost specifically ask for Keens, pricey as they are. However, our demographic is such that they take lots of vacations and most kids have a pair anyway. If not, they make pretty good knockoffs. I bought my daughter a pair from Target last year for $16.
Reply Up