Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Very Nice Offer
happymom 11:44 AM 11-02-2017
My little boy's best friend's mom has offered to take my son after school and school out days (they go to the same charter school) as long as they are not on vacation (which they do about 3 times a year)

For free.

Her son is incredibly well behaved and her and her husband are amazing parents. We love them.

He currently goes to a daycare center (a new one, for those who follow me and thought my last one was totally crappy) and I have been SO HAPPY with his new center. My plan for next year was to just have him in the after school program for 2 hours a day, plus off days, short days, summer, etc. -- It's around $450/mo, and I love the consistency that a center provides and the fact that I rarely need back up care. Right now, this mom who is offering to take my son, IS MY ONLY back up care! So it would put me in a pickle.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons and hoping for some insight from you fine people!
Baby Beluga 12:28 PM 11-02-2017
He currently attends half day K, right?

Is there a drop in/pay as you go center in your area?

Many centers here have classrooms specifically for drop in/pay as you go students and some have something called a punch card. You basically pre-pay for X amount of days and can use them for after school, school holidays, etc.

You could also see if there is an in home provider nearby who allows drop in/school holiday/vacation care and possibly use them as backup.

ETA: I don't know this mother - but I would be cautious of her free offer lasting *too* long. She may think having another child is easy, but often times parents realize it is harder than they expected. Just something to keep in the back of your mind
happymom 12:41 PM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
He currently attends half day K, right?
Yes, this would be for next year when they are both in first grade. This is the third time she has approached me about it and is very serious about her offer.

I didn't know drop in centers were a thing, I will have to look more in to that. I do not believe that my daycare center offers such thing. They have drop in rates for part time kids but I worry that my times in need will be peak times and I will be unable to find care.
happymom 12:47 PM 11-02-2017
One other thing is that she lives a bit out of the way, probably will add 8 miles a day of extra driving (more if we buy a new house closer to school)
Ladybugs 04:58 PM 11-02-2017
It’s a very generous offer but, if the monthly cost of his current center isn’t breaking the bank, I’d stick with that. Having that consistent, always available care would be worth it to me.
Play Care 06:51 AM 11-03-2017
Originally Posted by Ladybugs:
It’s a very generous offer but, if the monthly cost of his current center isn’t breaking the bank, I’d stick with that. Having that consistent, always available care would be worth it to me.
Yes to this. I know a lot of parents who are lured by free care only to then be put out every time the person offering the service is unavailable. And the three weeks is just for vacations. That's not personal days for appointments, day off due to illness, etc. What about those days off the school gets for staff development? Would she want your child dropped off early or is the offer for school days only?
I would absolutely do play dates and such to give your kiddo a break from day care and play with his friend. But I'd stick to Day Care for my daily care needs.
amberrose3dg 07:43 AM 11-03-2017
Same thing with before and after care at the schools. I have families utilizing that and expect to come to me when weather is bad or school is closed for breaks and holidays. A friend will not as reliable as someone you are paying.
Cat Herder 09:25 AM 11-03-2017
I'd probably do both. Keep the center and allow your child to go out with his friend and his mom whenever they have activities they'd like to include him in.

I almost always begged one of my DD's friends parents to let us take their kid with us on adventures/trips to break up the "odd one out" issue in our family. With two same aged DS's, if DD did not bring a friend DH and I would never get a moment alone or get DD to go participate. They just did not explore and play in the same way, alone.

Sure, some trips were exclusively for family bonding, but others were for hands on exploration/educational opportunities. Having an age mate to explore with was priceless for those days.
happymom 09:49 AM 11-03-2017
Thank you everyone for the advice. I am leaning towards sticking with the center, especially as we are looking for a home closer to the school and the daycare center.

Right now we are in a transition point in our lives and our 2 kids are in two daycare centers and some days it's difficult. I would love to one day move both of our kids to the same center again and still make room for a lot of play dates! I'm sure the daycare center doesn't mind on days that he doesn't come to the after school program!
Tags:transportation
Reply Up