Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Layouts for Larger Center
mabell 07:32 PM 11-25-2017
Hello all!
We are starting to look at properties for our daycare center. Unfortunately, I think we are going to end up with a 2 story building rather than the preferred one story. We are now looking to be licensed for up to 45 or 50. We aren't too concerned on making sure the building is within licensing code because we are going to be completely remodeling anyways and have been familiarizing ourselves with what we absolutely need for licensing.
Does anyone have a 2 story set up? Any input or helpful tips on how to set up?
How are your bathroom needs accomplished? Do you use stalls (multiple toilets) in one or two bathrooms?
Any help is much appreciated
flying_babyb 03:20 PM 11-26-2017
two story set ups are a pain depending on how you set it up. I worked at one where the infant and toddler rooms were upstairs. The biggest gripe I had was that the downstairs did not have a potty training bathroom so the 2's and 3's had to go up the ramp to use the bathroom (which was a long walk). I also didn't like centers where you had to walk through other classrooms to get to the other ones. Currently in my center you walk through the 2's to get to the 3/4 room. This is a huge distraction. I also would recommend having at least one big storage cabnate in each room. Storage is a big deal, also lots of space to store the kids belongings. we have this rack http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...QaAkzMEALw_wcB mounted low for our twos but when you fill every cubby there is not enough room for multiple sweaters and backpacks. Decent storage for nap mats is a big deal too.
Bathrooms:
Multiple stalls with dividers in between is the most popular. I have worked at a center with 4 toilets without the dividers but prefer the divider kind. Most teachers prefer at least one bathroom per floor. I would do at least 4 toilets per bathroom for potty training purposes. Also at least one stall that locks (per floor) for teacher use. Most centers I worked at had group bathrooms, not Boys and girls, which made potty training easier.
mabell 08:38 PM 11-27-2017
Thank you so much, that helped a lot!
I think we are going to try and have the 3s and 4s upstairs...and definitely bathrooms on both floors!
I never though about having to walk through one class to get another, but now that's something to keep in mind!

We are wanting to open the space and use dividers to divide it...do you think it will be too noisy?
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 11-28-2017
Kaplan offers a free room designer tool that you can create your classroom(s) online using furniture and accessories you can place yourself so you can get a feel for what you are wanting to do! I've used this site a ton and it's awesome, fun and super helpful!

https://www.kaplanco.com/resources/floorplanner.asp
flying_babyb 05:44 PM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by mabell:
Thank you so much, that helped a lot!
I think we are going to try and have the 3s and 4s upstairs...and definitely bathrooms on both floors!
I never though about having to walk through one class to get another, but now that's something to keep in mind!

We are wanting to open the space and use dividers to divide it...do you think it will be too noisy?
It depends! Ive worked at centers with a very open concept (half wall between 3s and 4+) and it was ok. It really depends on your teachers. I liked the other teacher and we worked together to plan the days in both rooms so our group time (quiet), playtime (loud) and reading time (quiet) were all planned for the same time. Worked at another center with the large locker style cubbies as dividers (on two sides to make it a 4 walled room) with ones, and twos were in the main room. That sucked! My kids were loud and the twos were having issues learning. Its all about what rooms you put where. I have also worked in daycare with the cloth walls for dividers (on the plastic poles). This was the worst! If you had a noisy room, or crying kids, it was just horrible on both sides! So depending on how it goes, Yes it can work.
If you have space, a indoor gym a wonderful perk (and lots of families like this). We had one with tile floors and low walls. It was great! We had a playhouse and some bikes and balls. The kids loved it so much the teachers would argue whos turn it was to use it. It was great cause we could have large motor no matter the weather! If I can help you further let me know (or pm me even!). Ive been in this field 10 years and worked in almost as many centers!
Hunni Bee 11:10 AM 11-30-2017
I worked at a center for 5 years that was two story (three actually) and my classroom was on the second floor. It never was an issue.

We had four rooms and three bathrooms on the second floor. The rooms all lead into each other in a circular way, but two of the three restrooms were near stairs so there was no need to walk all the way around to use the rest room. The other was to the far left of the "circle".

I did have a group one year that liked to run through all the rooms but I put my foot down.

We only had 3's and up on the second floor, so it was never at issue with fire drills, etc.
Tags:layout
Reply Up