Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Milk
tenderhearts 10:05 AM 02-09-2018
I increasingly have more kids who absolutely hate milk. I have 4 right now that will not drink it. They literally gag. What do you do with the food program and this? She told me to give them a cup of milk and water, that seems so ridiculous just curious if others have run into this.
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I increasingly have more kids who absolutely hate milk. I have 4 right now that will not drink it. They literally gag. What do you do with the food program and this? She told me to give them a cup of milk and water, that seems so ridiculous just curious if others have run into this.
I offer. If they pass, they pass.
If they ask for water, they can have water.

But milk down the drain or in their tummy is the same either way....gone.

I am reimbursed either way.
storybookending 10:27 AM 02-09-2018
I offer 4 oz juice in the afternoon and I have children choose milk more often than not. My juice ends up expiring before I can serve it all I’m thinking about eliminating it.
amberrose3dg 10:51 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My kids are also used to milk so that is probably why they drink it. They are also under the age of 3 so that could be why. School agers usually seem to want water over milk.
LittleScholars 10:58 AM 02-09-2018
Same. Only two of my parents serve milk at home. Most of my kids have doctors notes saying they should have almond milk. They do all seem to have stomach troubles after drinking straight milk, so I guess it is pretty legit (although maybe this is some sort of exposure thing?). My food program rep just requires me to have the notes on hand. It doesn't sound like your kiddos are having digestive issues though.
hwichlaz 11:21 AM 02-09-2018
I just measure to make sure I'm not giving more than the min req amount to reduce waste. And like BC says, in their bellies or in the trash, it's all gone to me.
Unregistered 01:07 PM 02-09-2018
If you serve "family style" couldn't you have the milk in a pitcher and kids could pour it or pass it without having any?
hwichlaz 04:15 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If you serve "family style" couldn't you have the milk in a pitcher and kids could pour it or pass it without having any?
Yep, but the entire pitcher has to be dumped at the end of the meal unless you can figure out a way to keep it on ice at the table.
BrynleeJean 04:21 PM 02-09-2018

I feel the same. I offer it, its gone either way. let it roll of your shoulder
hwichlaz 04:25 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I feel the same. I offer it, its gone either way. let it roll of your shoulder
And I sure don’t want to drink it. I’d also rather not have any left in the fridge over the weekend for my kids to get into. I don’t feel it’s all that healthy for human kids after about the age of 4 or 5.
Josiegirl 05:53 AM 02-10-2018
I had 2 SA sisters who refused milk. My FP rep caught me giving them just water one day. Oops. She said all I have to do is give enough in a cup to cover the bottom. If they drink that, offer more. For as long as I had them, they refused adamantly. I guess I don't see the point in pushing milk so hard. As long as it's not getting substituted with sugary drinks. Milk isn't 'all that'. I now have a 17 mo who started refusing milk at around a year when she dropped the bottle. I offer her drops of milk from a big cup and who knows how much she actually takes in because a lot of dribble happens. Lol It's all I can do.
Lissa Kristine 11:52 AM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Yep, but the entire pitcher has to be dumped at the end of the meal unless you can figure out a way to keep it on ice at the table.
So, fill a pitcher with enough milk to fill each glass with the required amount of milk. That way, you're not wasting any more milk than you would if you filled individual cups.
hwichlaz 02:44 PM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by Lissa Kristine:
So, fill a pitcher with enough milk to fill each glass with the required amount of milk. That way, you're not wasting any more milk than you would if you filled individual cups.
It's still wasting exactly the same amount though, so why not just put it in the cups and not dirty another dish? They are still, even family style, required to take a taste of each thing here.
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 02-12-2018
She told me to give them a cup of milk and water, that seems so ridiculous just curious if others have run into this.
I must do the same with lunch/dinner. They don't drink the milk, many ask for a strawberry/chocolate milk option . After being told no for the 30 millionth time, they choose the ice water; the milk cups don't leave their tray (family style). Like BC, I am reimbursed either way.

I choose to make up the component lost, though, because I want them to have strong bones and full bellies. I offer some form of cheese (slices, cubes, cream cheese, cottage, mini-wheels, etc.) or yogurt with each meal/snack.
Cat Herder 07:10 AM 02-12-2018
They are still, even family style, required to take a taste of each thing here.
Is that a regulation where you are?

That would get me a violation citation.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Same here.... it's considered "forcing" and we are not allowed to force a child to do anything.

We can encourage but not force.
hwichlaz 07:51 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

take a taste as in put it on their plate and in their cup, not their mouths
tenderhearts 07:55 AM 02-12-2018
I always put milk in their cup at each meal/snack, and it's always the same thing, I don't want milk I want water, I leave it in there for a bit but most will start complaining they want water so I dump the milk and give them water, is that ok or do I have to give them another cup with milk?
hwichlaz 07:55 AM 02-12-2018
Thus, if they are required to pour a little bit of milk in their cup anyway, and either method will result in exactly the same amount of milk being dumped down the sink, why bother dirtying another dish?
Cat Herder 08:01 AM 02-12-2018
Same here.... it's considered "forcing" and we are not allowed to force a child to do anything.

We can encourage but not force.
It is one of those things that get newer providers in trouble around here. Most are not told it is no longer allowed until they get cited for it, it is assumed they already know (most learned it from their own childcare providers). Once upon a time it was considered "good parenting" but now is recognized to have been at the root of many long term food issues.

Many providers think they are doing good by the child by having them try new things. It has caused a lot of issues with QRIS, here. Die hard "no thank you helping" fans can be fired without notice because it is easier to replace than retrain , "at will" state.

I do new food tasting during circle times. I approach it as for fun only. I go first and leave one sample per child for them to poke, sniff, squish and taste. Some only like what I like, some only like what I don't, I play to the crowd. I think it has become one of my favorite parts of the week. I am doing Rambutan again this week. I did it 6 months ago and it was hysterical. A couple were named and released back into the wild. It was awesome.
Cat Herder 08:03 AM 02-12-2018
take a taste as in put it on their plate and in their cup, not their mouths
Got it. I never thought you'd force it. It would go against what I have read of your philosophy. I was genuinely curious if that reg still existed anywhere. It really did used to be a thing.
hwichlaz 08:07 AM 02-12-2018
I always put milk in their cup at each meal/snack, and it's always the same thing, I don't want milk I want water, I leave it in there for a bit but most will start complaining they want water so I dump the milk and give them water, is that ok or do I have to give them another cup with milk?
I do that, unless the food police are actually here. I'm not sure if it's okay or not...but I feel like I'm following the spirit of the rule.
Tags:milk
Reply Up