Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Puppy Equals New Stress
athomemommy 08:52 AM 12-15-2011
So my husband and I got a puppy for my kids. We thought it would work out well the kids. It isn't, they carry her around all the time and she is getting upset and sniping they wont leave her be. I can't put her in another room but we use them all and I really want her to around the kids so they get along. Any thoughts.
Crystal 08:54 AM 12-15-2011
JUst keep socializing her. And, talk to the kids about it. let them know puppies can get very sick from too much attention. For the first few weeks she should be handled very little. Our DCK resonded well when we got our puppy last year....they didn't want to be responsible for her getting sick or hurt. Good luck.
AnneCordelia 08:59 AM 12-15-2011
How old are the kids? What kind of puppy? Are you crate training? Do you have her in obedience classes yet? There are lots of things that can help but the #1 thing I recommend is crate training. It becomes the puppy's "safe place" where kids are not allowed to go. Also obedience classes are just as much for your kids as your puppy.
MN Mom 09:03 AM 12-15-2011
Crate training is an absolute must with littles running around the house. The puppy needs a save haven to sleep and have quite time. You can still take the puppy out for 15 min intervals throughout the day to play and socialize. Using treats, you can have the oldest children help you work on commands like "sit", "stay", and "go on lay down" with her.
athomemommy 09:19 AM 12-15-2011
we have a small create but I have been using a gate cube like a 3x3. So we can play and nap. She enjoys it and has done really well house breaking.

She has been barking when we go down for nap. Not so good.
Any good books.
It is a ****uz and about 4 months old.
athomemommy 09:19 AM 12-15-2011
Funny. It started it out. Shi tuz.
Zoe 09:19 AM 12-15-2011
Puppy needs a place to be when she needs to get away from the kids, or if she's being naughty with the dc toys. We got a 6 month old black lab, so she was bigger and such a pesty pest! She is a year old now and even though we went through obedience training, she's still quite the chewer and hasn't figured out what are her toys and what are the kids' toys. So she goes outside when she's being extra pesty. She's crate trained too.

Enjoy your puppy! They're a lot of work, but SOOOOO worth it!
AnneCordelia 09:22 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
we have a small create but I have been using a gate cube like a 3x3. So we can play and nap. She enjoys it and has done really well house breaking.

She has been barking when we go down for nap. Not so good.
Any good books.
It is a ****uz and about 4 months old.
Personally I'd google 'crate training' for some more indepth resources. Crates become the dog's "cave", like they would have in the wild. They feel safe and secure in there. And, at naptime, you can cover it with a blanket to encourage the puppy to enjoy quiet time too. It's nice to have a crate because then they are used to it if you have to travel, put them on a plane or stay in a hotel.

Crate training speeds up house breaking and encourages good manners from kids and the dog.
cheerfuldom 09:22 AM 12-15-2011
I like the Cesar Milan books, which includes crate training. These are a big help in socializing our pup
KBCsMommy 09:24 AM 12-15-2011
OK now Im nervous!!!

My husband is going to pick up our new Mastiff puppy tonite!!!

All my daycare kids are littles so the only issue we will have is barking.

I forsee alot of "NO BARK" training up!!
Meeko 10:06 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
OK now Im nervous!!!

Enjoy your big baby! We have a 200 lb Newfoundland! (and a 6mth old 11lb Westie puppy!)
WImom 11:14 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
OK now Im nervous!!!

SOOOO Jealous. My kids and I have been begging my DH to let us get a Mastiff!! We are slowly working on him....lol. We have a beagle/basset now who is just awesome. I've been worried too about getting a puppy for these main reasons. I plan on waiting until summer though when my kids are home from school. Hopefully it will be a Mastiff puppy!!

ps...we need pics when you get him/her please!!
Unregistered 11:28 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
So my husband and I got a puppy for my kids. We thought it would work out well the kids. It isn't, they carry her around all the time and she is getting upset and sniping they wont leave her be. I can't put her in another room but we use them all and I really want her to around the kids so they get along. Any thoughts.
I got my small puppy (Maltipoo) back in March and my daycare kids where told from the start they where not allowed to pick up the puppy she isnt a toy. I suggest you enforce this as they could hurt the little puppy. I also used a crate with my pup as soon as we brang her home she would go in there if I couldnt watch her real good as puppies do nip they are babies. Get puppy on a shecdule also with pottying, napping in her crate or section of the house closed off it will make it much easier on you.
Lilbutterflie 04:07 PM 12-15-2011
I also have a 4 month old puppy! Except ours is WAY too big for anyone to hold! However, my experience has been such a nightmare that I would never get a puppy again in a daycare setting. WAY too much stress!

I would make a new rule "NO holding the puppy!" "You can pet the puppy with gentle hands, but do not pick up the puppy."

Definitely crate train, I keep our puppy in her crate in 2 hour intervals, twice per day. The crate is her den, it's her space. She loves it! And she goes there to sleep.

But I've gone about nuts between cleaning up her accidents (she's mostly house trained now, but we got her at 9 weeks & initially I was cleaning up 5-6 accidents per day); dealing with the puppy energy, the puppy jumping, puppy chewing, puppy destructiveness... AND trying to tend to the children! I sort of regret the decision; but now we are over the hurdle and she is learning quickly now.
meganlavonnesmommy 07:35 AM 12-16-2011
We got an 8 week old german shorthair a year ago. It was a bit challenging to incorporate him into daycare, but it will all work out eventually.

I definately recommend crate training, it saved our sanity! I put his crate somewhere where he could still see us so he didnt feel so isolated.

We also enrolled him in puppy obdience classes at our local petsmart. It was great! Worth every penny. I thought I could just train him reading stuff online, and the techniques the trainer taught us were the same. But the one on one attention and correction really taught us how to train the puppy.

Absolutely strickly enforce the rules with the kids, no picking up puppy. The only thing they are allowed to do is pet him. They are not allowed to play with, climb in or touch his crate or bed. Those are his only, and no one else is allowed to touch them.

I also used a shake can. I put pennies in an empty soda can and taped over the top. I used it to shake when the puppy was misbehaving. They dont like the loud sound.

I also gated him off in the kitchen from about 8 weeks until 12-14 weeks. This gave him time to mature before I let him be loose around the kids.
Francine 10:31 AM 12-16-2011
Crate is the magic word! I have a three year old Giant Schnauzer (Archie) Archie loves his crate, if the door is closed he will paw at it or sit outside of it until we open it for him. It's his bed and he loves it! We don't crate him anymore when we leave the house but during the day he is either upstairs in my bedroom, outside or in the crate I don't allow him to run around the house with the kids. I actually use the top of his crate as my changing table, it works great!
permanentvacation 10:50 AM 12-16-2011
Did you get your puppy for your personal children or your daycare kids? Personally, I have never and will never allow my daycare children to touch my pets. That rule is mainly for the safety of my pets. You never know what parents allow their children to do to their own pets. I actually have had a daycare kid try to RIDE my dog!!!! I lost my mind and yelled at the kid because he could have broken my dog's back!!!! The mother literally told me that it's okay, he rides their dog at home all the time!!!!!!! UH NO!!!!!!! Dogs are not horses!!!!!!!

Not only do children do things that parents seem to think are okay, but they also fall on pets, , accidently step on, pull their ears, tail, hit the puppy, kick the puppy, etc. You just never know what children will do to an animal or what their parents have allowed them to do that they think is alright to do.

My opinion, if you bought the dog for your daycare children, you need to watch out for your puppy at all times so the children don't hurt it. The puppy and as it grows up, needs it's own space that the children are not allowed in that it can go to where it can get away from the children if it wants/needs to.

If you bought the puppy for your personal children, then it needs to be kept away from the daycare children so they don't hurt your children's pet and your children have to be upset over their puppy being hurt or dead from what the daycare children did to it.

I'm sure some of you will think I'm horrible for thinking that it's not the cutest thing to get a puppy for a bunch of little kids - I just know what I have seen some of my daycare kids do to my pets which led me to make the rule that no daycare child is allowed to touch my pets at all.
frgsonmysox 03:32 PM 12-16-2011
Definitely crate train. And don't let the dog snap or nibble at the kids, for any reason. This is completely unacceptable behaviour, and the sooner you stop it the better. A stern, "no!" works well. We have a 20 month old Golden/Huskie who is amazing with our kids. We brought him home when he was 8 weeks old, and crate trained from the get go. Our kids can be quite rough with him, but he never responds harshly. His crate is his territory. If the kids are bothering him too much he goes in the crate and they leave him alone. He also goes in there at night and when we leave the house. We call it his "room" so his command is "Go to your room!" because it sounded less like a punishment that way.
Tags:dog, pets in daycare, stress
Reply Up