Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moldy Sippy Cup..WWYD?
Registered, logged out 08:31 AM 03-24-2016
Registered member here, logged out for privacy. Posting here for a greater response.

I had a child bring in a cup he was drinking milk from. This is the first time child has brought a cup. I told him to put it on the table, I would rinse it out and give back to parents at pick up.

When I took the cup apart to rinse it, it looked like this.

I am almost 100% positive the parents put the cup in the dishwasher to wash, and just don't remove the spout from the cup which is resulting in the below. The rest of the cup was clean.

What do I do? I think this could make a child sick, and I feel like I should say something....but should I? If so, how?
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Registered, logged out:
Registered member here, logged out for privacy. Posting here for a greater response.

I had a child bring in a cup he was drinking milk from. This is the first time child has brought a cup. I told him to put it on the table, I would rinse it out and give back to parents at pick up.

When I took the cup apart to rinse it, it looked like this.

I am almost 100% positive the parents put the cup in the dishwasher to wash, and just don't remove the spout from the cup which is resulting in the below. The rest of the cup was clean.

What do I do? I think this could make a child sick, and I feel like I should say something....but should I? If so, how?
Okay, I am not trying to be snarky but really?

Just tell the parent the cup is moldy and the dishwasher isn't doing it's job.

Taking the cup apart before placing it in the dishwasher would probably solve the problem.
finsup 08:42 AM 03-24-2016
Just text w/ photo "oh dcm! I was washing dcb's cup morning and look! Yuck I'm sure you didn't realize it, so I wanted to check if you'd like me to just toss it or send it home and you can try to clean/sanitize it?"

As a mom I would be completly fine with a message like that. I'm sure they most likely just didn't realize it was that bad
Unregistered 08:44 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Okay, I am not trying to be snarky but really?

Just tell the parent the cup is moldy and the dishwasher isn't doing it's job.

Taking the cup apart before placing it in the dishwasher would probably solve the problem.
Not snarky at all. I am looking for advice on how to gently mention it to mom. The last thing I want to do is make her feel bad for it.
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not snarky at all. I am looking for advice on how to gently mention it to mom. The last thing I want to do is make her feel bad for it.
Oh, okay... no worries.... I would just tell her.
It's not a reflection of her parenting...it's just the stupid design of the sippy cup.

NOTHING to do with mom or dad.

I thought you were asking what to do about the cup being moldy etc and I was thinking "Well either wash it or stop using it." lol!

I didnt realize you were asking about how to not offend the parent... in response to that, I dont think it's anything for the parent to be offended about.
laundrymom 08:50 AM 03-24-2016
I would just take it apart, op it in a zip bag and let mm know you rinsed it but didn't get to wash it. If it's apart she will see the mold.
Unregistered 08:53 AM 03-24-2016
It's not a reflection of her parenting...it's just the stupid design of the sippy cup.

I thought you were asking what to do about the cup being moldy etc and I was thinking "Well either wash it or stop using it." lol!

I didnt realize you were asking about how to not offend the parent... in response to that, I dont think it's anything for the parent to be offended about.
Haha, I am terrible at explaining myself online!
Unregistered 08:54 AM 03-24-2016
And yes, those cups are a terrible design. At one point all of the children here had them and it was a pita to clean them everyday.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 03-24-2016
There was a local parenting blog that posted a very similar problem. It's a widespread problem that parents just don't know about. Leave the cup dirty. Show the parents at pick up. Give the child a clean cup to use today. Parents will probably be grateful to know about the problem.
Thriftylady 09:59 AM 03-24-2016
There was just a big news story here. It was about the cups where the deal couldn't be removed. One parent somehow found nasty mold and stuff in it. Maybe it broke or something I don't remember. The news station sent it to a lab and it had tons of bacteria.

So what all that means is that I would mention it, just be like "hey not sure you noticed, but check this out" and show it to her.

Here is a link to the partial story.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/natio...ldy-sippy-cups
MunchkinWrangler 10:03 AM 03-24-2016
Throw it out. I don't use the gauges for these cups because I never trusted them.
Thriftylady 10:19 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Throw it out. I don't use the gauges for these cups because I never trusted them.
The problem with that is then the parent doesn't see the problem. The parent needs to see the issue so they understand the problem. I am sure they have thought nothing of it.
MunchkinWrangler 10:56 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
The problem with that is then the parent doesn't see the problem. The parent needs to see the issue so they understand the problem. I am sure they have thought nothing of it.
Agreed. I hate those sippy cups anyway, they are so hard to clean no matter what kind of contraption you have to clean them with, and so expensive.
midaycare 11:18 AM 03-24-2016
I didn't know for the first few times I used those cups that they came apart. If no one tells you, or you aren't particularly smart with things like that, you'll never know!
Rockgirl 11:37 AM 03-24-2016
Yuck! This is why I don't use sippies. I use the ones with a plain flat lid and hole for a regular straw until they use an open cup.
childcaremom 11:38 AM 03-24-2016
I would just point it out to the parents using one of the above suggestions. I don't think they would be offended at all.
Unregistered 12:33 PM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Yuck! This is why I don't use sippies. I use the ones with a plain flat lid and hole for a regular straw until they use an open cup.
Yes! Those cups are the best. I think they're called "take and toss"?

I feel like sip cups are becoming like bottles that have 800 parts you have to remove and clean.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 03-24-2016
I don't use sippy cups either. I also don't use cups with lids.

Love the take and toss ones though!

I take the cups but toss the lids.
Rockgirl 12:41 PM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes! Those cups are the best. I think they're called "take and toss"?

I feel like sip cups are becoming like bottles that have 800 parts you have to remove and clean.
Those are the ones! They've lasted through hundreds of trips through the dishwasher.

Funny you mentioned the bottles. I was just trying to reassemble a Tommee Tippee bottle....I had to get another one out to see where all the pieces went!
Rockgirl 12:44 PM 03-24-2016
I don't use sippy cups either. I also don't use cups with lids.

Love the take and toss ones though!

I take the cups but toss the lids.
I remember drinking out of a glass every night at the dinner table as a very young child. Glass. And everyone did back then!
Blackcat31 12:55 PM 03-24-2016
I remember drinking out of a glass every night at the dinner table as a very young child. Glass. And everyone did back then!
My youngest is 13 months and she has been using a non-lidded cup since around 10 months.

I'd choose glass too if I could....I can't stand the residue left on the plastic cups.

I use paper Dixie cups instead and recycle instead. Easier.
Rockgirl 01:03 PM 03-24-2016
My youngest is 13 months and she has been using a non-lidded cup since around 10 months.

I'd choose glass too if I could....I can't stand the residue left on the plastic cups.

I use paper Dixie cups instead and recycle instead. Easier.
I just have one using the lid and straw now, and it's only because he crams everything into his milk cup during lunch.
daycare 01:48 PM 03-24-2016
I also use take and toss with no lid.

My littles get a lid with straw that goes in the trash. I hate creating waste, but I don't allow any cups from home.

I personally would just tell the DCP exactly that. I would not even wash it. I would just leave it as is and when they pick up show them Say, I opened your kids cup and found this. Just wanted to show you, not sure if you know that these cups can come apart for best cleaning.

Or something like that.

I do have the kids bring water cups for here, but I won't allow straws. Even just water creates mold due to their saliva creating the bacteria.,
Ariana 02:32 PM 03-24-2016
I would just say "hey noticed some mold on DCB cup so I took it apart to clean it/put it in the dishwasher. Just an FYI that they do come apart which prevents mold from forming". Then give it back to her in pieces so she can put it back together and now knows how it comes apart.

I use the Rubbermaid litterless juice boxes. Super easy to clean with a pipe cleaner and a small tube brush. I also do not accept cups from home.
My3cents 02:46 PM 03-24-2016

I thought the same thing when I first read. My snarky self, said to myself.....Duh Lady- wash it or throw it out! What a snark I am....

I would clean it (it would get a happy little bleach soak and good good rinse) then tell the parent nicely. I don't need to show the parent when I can verbalize to them on this one.

I use these pain in the bleep sip cups with my kiddo's. I pull them apart and clean them real good every time. Kudos for those that use reg cups early. I just don't want to be cleaning up spill messes anymore then I do. I also think it depends on your crew of kids.

What irritates me is the companies that change the cup designs and make it hard to get parts.

3cents
daycare 02:49 PM 03-24-2016

What irritates me is the companies that change the cup designs and make it hard to get parts.

thats how they make money.......you have to buy a whole new cup.....
Thriftylady 03:27 PM 03-24-2016
With my kids I used the rubbermaid type. At that time you could get them at WM cheap. Now they all have those stupid valves that make them the same as a bottle. I hate that. If we wanted a bottle we would just give them a bottle.
Silly Songs 10:11 PM 03-24-2016
Blackcat , I accidentally read your post as " keep the cup and toss the kids. " lol and all I could think was - somebody is having a bad day !
Blackcat31 05:29 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Blackcat , I accidentally read your post as " keep the cup and toss the kids. " lol and all I could think was - somebody is having a bad day !
Oh, that was totally applicable yesterday for a couple of mine.

Here's hoping it's a much better day today!
Alisyn 12:48 PM 03-26-2016
I had a family a while back who brought a sippy from home, I took it apart to wash it and found gunk inside.....I knew this was a very young mother whom Im sure just didn't realize you could dismantle the thing I told her about it at pick up and she was totally surprised....not offended at all
My3cents 03:02 PM 03-28-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:

thats how they make money.......you have to buy a whole new cup.....
I know and it drives me nutty. My cups are fine it's just the little clear spout insert that went missing. The replacements cost more then the cups did and that is if you can even find them anymore.
Tags:sippy cup - from home
Reply Up