Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Marketing Tips for a Reggio Emilia Inspired Preschool
Unregistered 06:38 AM 11-17-2017
Hello! I own and operate a Reggio Emilia Inspired preschool in Southern Maryland. We currently have 32 kiddos enrolled and we can have up to 60 children in our program. We have been open since June 2016, so a little over a year. We are the only Reggio Preschool in the area. I've included a link of IG page (not to advertise) but so you have a sense of our programs day to day activities.

Being completely vulnerable I'm concerned that we are not enrolling children rapidly. We get on average 3 calls a week for preschool enrollment interest. I know the winter months tend to be quieter, so I'm hopeful in the new year it picks back up.

Does anyone have any marketing tips?
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello! I own and operate a Reggio Emilia Inspired preschool in Southern Maryland. We currently have 32 kiddos enrolled and we can have up to 60 children in our program. We have been open since June 2016, so a little over a year. We are the only Reggio Preschool in the area. I've included a link of IG page (not to advertise) but so you have a sense of our programs day to day activities.

Being completely vulnerable I'm concerned that we are not enrolling children rapidly. We get on average 3 calls a week for preschool enrollment interest. I know the winter months tend to be quieter, so I'm hopeful in the new year it picks back up.

Does anyone have any marketing tips?
Welcome! Please consider registering for the forum.
Many of our members can probably share advertising tips etc.

I did remove the link you included in your post as we do not allow outside advertising for any reason. I know you said that was not your intention but as an unregistered user, attaching a link DOES seem like an attempt to advertise.

Please feel free, however to post questions and comments. If you should choose to register you would also have access to our search function which has a huge data base of info. Many threads relating to advertising and enrollment and marketing tips.
Discoverylane 06:46 AM 11-17-2017
Hello! Thanks I'm registered. I just could not remember my username. But I'm signed in now. Happy Learning! Looking forward to insight from others about my post.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Discoverylane:
Hello! Thanks I'm registered. I just could not remember my username. But I'm signed in now. Happy Learning! Looking forward to insight from others about my post.
Oh! That's awesome!

...and yes! Happy posting! We are a friendly and helpful bunch of ladies and gents!
Discoverylane 06:55 AM 11-17-2017
I'm being very honest no one on this forum seems to live remotely close to my location that posting an IG link would generate more kiddos to my program. I posted on this site before, when I first began my program. I shared my website because a narrative of my program doesn't always capture the entire story.

By sharing my website I got great insight that the appearance of my center was sterile. How would I have gotten that feedback if I did not share my site? I certainly didn't think my space appeared sterile but others did. Now if there is a way to add photos than I can certainly do that as well. But the implication that I would "break a rule" comes off unappealing and makes me not want to be on this forum.

I read through many of the posts and shared with my accountant the advise of an accountant on this site who often "advertises."

Hello Daycare Forum subscribers please share your expertise and insight. I really need support with marketing. Humbly, Discovery Lane.
Snowmom 07:04 AM 11-17-2017
I am Reggio inspired.

In my area, it is not a well known approach. I tend to do more educating people on Reggio and how it benefits my program. I introduce lots of information on my webpage so that potential clients are given some useful information off the bat.

People here seem to be obsessed with Montessori. I personally think they're attached to an imagined prestige that's associated with Montessori and the price tag they pay for it than the actual benefits of the approach to learning. Most parents I know really don't know what Montessori, Waldorf or Reggio means in terms of learning environment.

As far as marketing. Join groups in your area. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Use social media. Facebook groups are #1 around here for parents posting their needs and asking for recommendations. Local church groups, fundraisers that you can get involved in, throw an open house party, post a flyer in grocery stores and coffee shops.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 11-17-2017
I'm being very honest no one on this forum seems to live remotely close to my location that posting an IG link would generate more kiddos to my program. I posted on this site before, when I first began my program. I shared my website because a narrative of my program doesn't always capture the entire story.

By sharing my website I got great insight that the appearance of my center was sterile. How would I have gotten that feedback if I did not share my site? I certainly didn't think my space appeared sterile but others did. Now if there is a way to add photos than I can certainly do that as well. But the implication that I would "break a rule" comes off unappealing and makes me not want to be on this forum.

I read through many of the posts and shared with my accountant the advise of an accountant on this site who often "advertises."

Hello Daycare Forum subscribers please share your expertise and insight. I really need support with marketing. Humbly, Discovery Lane.
Pardon me, but I did not imply that you were breaking a rule other than the fact that you had posted as an unregistered poster and had the forethought to say "(not to advertise)" so YOU set the stage yourself for moderators to think you may be advertising.
Please don't play that off as if the idea that a registered member was being accused of breaking a forum rule.

If you are wanting to post a link that could possibly be taken as an advertisement, please contact the site owner and get permission from him.

As a moderator it is my job to eliminate spammers for our registered members so as a moderator I did just that. Had you posted as a registered member your link/post may have been validated but I rarely click on links posted by unregistered users (for obvious reasons) so to be accused of having less than honorable intentions by a registered member posting as unregistered (I understand you did not remember your log in info) is very unappealing as well.

Here is the contact info to the site owner.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=1
I am sure he will give your request consideration.
Hoping you are able to find the answers you are seeking.
Discoverylane 07:15 AM 11-17-2017
You're absolutely correct. We are hosting a parent workshop in January. It's mostly for our enrolled families, however I'm thinking about reserving 5 seats for parents who do not have children enrolled in our families.

Throughout the year we host free or low cost events that are open to the community. Book Fair, Crayons & Cookies (Saturday Art Camp), and Fall Festival.

Flyers- That has not worked for us, however I can try it again. We are on Facebook and we have a solid 5 star review. We're also on IG and we have almost 500 followers. I've also paid for advertisement on both sites.

Word of mouth has been our biggest advertisement. I'm thinking about a referral program. Thoughts? Also any suggestions for planning the Open House? We had two of those before we opened and hardly anyone showed up. I've read on this forum people having the same outcome. Just not many parents coming out. Perhaps choosing the right day or time? Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 11-17-2017
Now if there is a way to add photos than I can certainly do that as well.
Here the instructions to posting images and attachments

https://www.daycare.com/forum/faq.ph...b3_attachments
Discoverylane 07:23 AM 11-17-2017
Moderator you sound triggered and you're sorta being a TROLL on my post. What you could have stated is that, "Although you're posting a link to get insight we do not permit that on this site." You made assumptions about me being "unregistered" and capitalized words, which implies yelling. You're also at this current moment not making this site seem professional with this conduct towards patrons and visitors.

You're going tit for tat about something that's not that trivial. Again, I posted my website before and so I thought nothing of posting my IG page. I also stated that I forgot my username. It wasn't until I found my post from 2016 that I remembered my username. I don't post on here for the sake of posting. When I have a question it's for the betterment of children and my community. I have a program that supports children in a marginalized community that otherwise wouldn't have access to this type of pedagogy. I want to get insight from others because I value this social community.

I don't need to email anyone about my link...lol. You removed it. Fine. Now, back to my original post and getting the support I need.
Discoverylane 07:26 AM 11-17-2017
When I posted my website Blackcat31 did not remove the link. I went on discussing marketing. That is an area that is always a challenge. I'm being very transparent and I would ask for a spirit of generosity.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 11-17-2017
um okay.

Have a great day!
Discoverylane 07:45 AM 11-17-2017
I've reposted my question. If you wouldn't mind moderator could you delete this thread. I want advise and I feel our back and forth has tainted the experience and knowledge I want to gain from others. In my new post I itemized all the advertising I already do and no links are included. Thank you.
Cat Herder 07:49 AM 11-17-2017
Reminds me of a certain web etiquette video, especially that scene about human excrement in a punch bowl.
Snowmom 08:04 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Reminds me of a certain web etiquette video, especially that scene about human excrement in a punch bowl.

MomBoss 08:07 AM 11-17-2017
You tainted it by reacting the way you did. All you needed to say to BC was "Oh ok thanks I didnt know!"
Nobody would have thought you were being rude...
Its also very easy to make a new account if you forgot your old one. So you never had to post unregistered..
Discoverylane 08:20 AM 11-17-2017
I have another question is anyone giving advice have a center or a home daycare?
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
You tainted it by reacting the way you did. All you needed to say to BC was "Oh ok thanks I didnt know!"
Nobody would have thought you were being rude...
Its also very easy to make a new account if you forgot your old one. So you never had to post unregistered..
Once I realized it was a registered member I came back and posted as such.

I even came back again and explained further.
But instead I am accused of trolling and told I was being unprofessional.

The kicker? The OP then "Reports" the thread/post
FYI: Reported posts go directly to moderators.

*sigh* I guess some people simple want the drama and not the help.

It's becoming quite clear as to why enrollment might be dwindling or not as eager as it was. The longer you interact with someone or do business with them the clearer their true character becomes.
Discoverylane 08:31 AM 11-17-2017
This moderator....lol. Enrollment Dwindling...haha.

Sir or Ma'am my business makes close to 30K a month with 32 kids and 2 are part-time. We have rave reviews from parents on our social sites as well as documented correspondence through emails. In fact I brought a sense of humility when I came to this site...especially when someone suggested "Flyers." My personal income from my job outside of my business is 85K. In fact my expertise could probably help a lot of people because I took a business from the ground up and generated more than a quarter million in a little over a year. I'm serious if anyone wants advise ask away!

Again, you're triggered and your support on here is laughable when just about everyone has a fictitious name. What exactly does registering do when you can use a name like Blackcat31 to be an internet bully.

I'm so unbothered at this and it's becoming quite humorous that you're spending your day on lil ol' me. Someone on the other side of the planet. I've tried to turn this conversation around so many times but I see you all want to focus on this fake outrage and hurt feelings from someone you never met.
midaycare 08:35 AM 11-17-2017
Ugh. Bye Felicia.
Discoverylane 08:37 AM 11-17-2017
Oh Lord now you're appropriating. Didn't you suggest I come on here with a different username. I wonder how many people ruffled feathers, created a new name, and came back on here and got their question answered??
midaycare 08:42 AM 11-17-2017
Oh Lord now you're appropriating. Didn't you suggest I come on here with a different username. I wonder how many people ruffled feathers, created a new name, and came back on here and got their question answered??
I suggested nothing of the sort. I came late to this mess. As someone with a masters in counseling, I can tell you that unless English is your second language or you come from a very different (non-American/north-American) background, your behavior is not normal. Even for the internet, which speaks volumes.

I'm done here.
Discoverylane 08:44 AM 11-17-2017
As someone earning a PhD in Education I can tell you it's quite normalized behavior to defend your stance. It's called being inquiry-based learner.
Discoverylane 08:46 AM 11-17-2017
Now I'm not American? lol. So that's the standard of morality, being American? Have you ever explored the world?
Snowmom 08:50 AM 11-17-2017

Sir or Ma'am my business makes close to 30K a month with 32 kids and 2 are part-time. We have rave reviews from parents on our social sites as well as documented correspondence through emails. In fact I brought a sense of humility when I came to this site...especially when someone suggested "Flyers." My personal income from my job outside of my business is 85K. In fact my expertise could probably help a lot of people because I took a business from the ground up and generated more than a quarter million in a little over a year. I'm serious if anyone wants advise ask away!

Again, you're triggered and your support on here is laughable when just about everyone has a fictitious name. What exactly does registering do when you can use a name like Blackcat31 to be an internet bully.

I'm so unbothered at this and it's becoming quite humorous that you're spending your day on lil ol' me. Someone on the other side of the planet. I've tried to turn this conversation around so many times but I see you all want to focus on this fake outrage and hurt feelings from someone you never met.
F that.

It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers and I tend to ignore quite a few posts and people. I tried to help you. But yea, you're an ass.

$250k "in a little over year". Big freaking whoop.
Unregistered 08:54 AM 11-17-2017
You're right...it's not that big of a deal. I'm aiming for 1 million and 2 sites. That's why I'm here looking for insight!
MomBoss 08:56 AM 11-17-2017
As someone earning a PhD in Education I can tell you it's quite normalized behavior to defend your stance. It's called being inquiry-based learner.
If you are so smart and make all this money then why are you asking for marketing advice?
& Why are you so angry?
Also you posted this exact same thing over a year ago, why not just go back and reread the advice you got..
Unregistered 09:04 AM 11-17-2017
Being very honest I like to see what folks have to say. I think many of posters already know the answer to our questions, sometimes it's just confirmation.

I've seen many post not get unanswered and folks just wanting to confirm they're doing the right steps. Marketing is not black and white. I've seen people do all the aforementioned and business revenue doesn't move. I've seen people do none of the aforementioned and business is taking off.

The flyer comment wasn't intended for the person with the toy story image. As I asked specific questions about the Open House idea. I think this forum doesn't show my tone or even my happy face as I type.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 11-17-2017
Also intelligence and money have nothing to do with being knowledgable about marketing tips. My response was being defensive about the implication that enrollment at my center was dwindling. It's not. I just want to know how we can keep the momentum going as we grow during winter months.
Unregistered 09:12 AM 11-17-2017
Our business has changed. I don't think marketing advice from a year ago should be applied once your business has grown. Perhaps this forum cannot help me and I should talk with a marketing consultant. I just really valued everyone's advise last time and I did post a link. When I read the no link rule I thought it was a new rule and I wanted to be respectful because I though the insight about my site was amazing!!
daycarediva 09:45 AM 11-17-2017

oh my word. If you're making so much money, why haven't you just hired a marketing company?

I was the director of a basic childcare center making significantly more than what you are (see how that sounds pretentious). We had no issues with enrollment, despite me being hired on to change how the center operated.

FLYERS in a mass marketing campaign, mailed directly to homes generated a good portion of our business.

But I honestly think that if you/your center/your staff come across this ostentatious to parents, they wouldn't want to enroll anyway.

The other issue is most likely rates. If you're making 30k/month, net, with just about 30 kids enrolled, you're over priced. Parents can typically aim for a quality/cost compatibility, but most aren't going to pay college tuition payments towards daycare if they can help it.

The home daycare operators you are thumbing your nose at right now are the ones who have the kids you want in care. It's true. We don't have the overhead so we can undercut centers AND maintain high quality. Every.single.time.

I'm dying at 'triggered' though. First time I have seen that online outside of reddit.
Unregistered 09:50 AM 11-17-2017
I have hired a market consultant but being honest I find daycare forum and likes to be spot on with marketing.

Also in our area preschool on average is 1500 a month. That's that going rate out here. I see folks posting $120 a week. That would be part time half day preschool in this area.
Unregistered 09:54 AM 11-17-2017
You do know there's a social identity and real life engagement with people. Both of which can be mutually exclusively. There are racist on social sites that are legit cops, teachers, and politicians....lol.

In your disdain and so over it approach you replied and gave me insight. So thank you!! It's social media and I do think some people are being overly bothered. Like...oh you're rude on here so you must be rude to your families. Huh??? I hope our engagement with strangers is strikingly different than with family and close relationships we have with our families.
daycarediva 09:58 AM 11-17-2017
I have hired a market consultant but being honest I find daycare forum and likes to be spot on with marketing.

Also in our area preschool on average is 1500 a month. That's that going rate out here. I see folks posting $120 a week. That would be part time half day preschool in this area.

My rates for in home are similar to yours. So you're making 30,000/month NET before taxes, payroll, mortgage/rent, insurance, child care expenses? for over 30 children? That doesn't sound great at all for a center.

There are obviously two people posting, based on grammar and sentence structure alone.

The tone of your post was rude and demeaning to providers who ARE successful. We have parents, center staff, directors, in home providers, group care providers, assistants, etc on this forum with a WEALTH of information. Many in this business for 20+ years. We are well aware of every way to market, what common issues are, and what parents are seeking.

Eg. The app you posted- many of us have been using that for over a year.

Flyers do NOT look desperate.

We are well aware of how to market on social media. IME- sensory/messy play and group photos of children looking at the camera generate the most feedback.

If you only have 500 followers, after a year, you need to reevaluate your business. I had that in a year with a HOME daycare/6 kids.

This is an amazing place with a wonderful network of men and women who I have had the pleasure to learn from and grow as a provider and business professional, but you're not going to get anywhere posting like you BOTH have.
Unregistered 09:58 AM 11-17-2017
I don't even conduct tours at the preschool...lol. So the assumptions are laughable. I haven't conducted a tour in over a year. I work a regular 9-5. I know my strength and it's not tours. Actually my personality is perfect for vendors who solicit. haha
Unregistered 10:00 AM 11-17-2017
Well social media followers really mean nothing if the engagement is low. I've learned that too. I've seen people with with 10K follows and they average maybe 100 likes. I've seen people with a few 100 with the same number of likes and countless comments.

How much are you charging a week?
daycarediva 10:00 AM 11-17-2017
You do know there's a social identity and real life engagement with people. Both of which can be mutually exclusively. There are racist on social sites that are legit cops, teachers, and politicians....lol.

In your disdain and so over it approach you replied and gave me insight. So thank you!! It's social media and I do think some people are being overly bothered. Like...oh you're rude on here so you must be rude to your families. Huh??? I hope our engagement with strangers is strikingly different than with family and close relationships we have with our families.
I was going to ask you to PM me your center link and I could give you advise, but based on this comment alone, nope.

Good luck, and I would hire someone to write for you as well. As another poster suggested, it sounds as if english is a second language to you and many of your sentences are convoluted and difficult to understand.
daycarediva 10:05 AM 11-17-2017
I don't even conduct tours at the preschool...lol. So the assumptions are laughable. I haven't conducted a tour in over a year. I work a regular 9-5. I know my strength and it's not tours. Actually my personality is perfect for vendors who solicit. haha
Who assumed you conducted tours?

Maybe because you're so out of touch with parents you are struggling with enrollment. As a director, every parent knew my name, face and would see me active and engaged. *I* gave tours. *I* hosted monthly parent events. *I* was on social media raving about my staff member of the week, star (child) of the day, and working on community involvement (eg. we funded a tball team, hosted bake sales for charities, had a 5k family fun run, pot luck dinners, etc)

YOU are the face of YOUR business. NO staff member is going to care about it like you do. Just some food for thought.

Well social media followers really mean nothing if the engagement is low. I've learned that too. I've seen people with with 10K follows and they average maybe 100 likes. I've seen people with a few 100 with the same number of likes and countless comments.

How much are you charging a week?
Yes, I had amazing engagement. Teachers would post dozens of pictures daily for each room, tag parents, etc.

Rates are tricky anyway, because my area is different than 30 miles in any direction.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 11-17-2017
To say 30K a month does not sound great however you do not know any of our overhead is questionable. You also said that people on here have 20 plus years experience in childcare. I have 1 year. So I think it's solid. But ok, point taken.

You're also right again I think your expertise is valuable that's why I'm here asking away.

I personally haven't picked up a flyer to learn about a new business in maybe 15 years. It's comes off as if you're marketing. I know you're probably thinking...well duh market! Lol. Have you ever seen big companies disrupt flyers? We aren't a big company I don't want my words mixed up. I also said in my aforementioned post it's something we would do again if that's was you advise.
Unregistered 10:07 AM 11-17-2017
Oh I wasn't questioning your engagement. I was just saying that the number of followers doesn't mean the business has high engagement. Our parents do the same! Have you heard of the app Brightwheel?
Josiegirl 10:07 AM 11-17-2017
Well, BC you troll you. If you're gonna be like that you could at least furnish the drinks.
Unregistered 10:07 AM 11-17-2017
I'm so not the Director of the program.
Unregistered 10:09 AM 11-17-2017
My mom is actually the director and works at the preschool every single day from 6:00am-6:30pm. She's taking off 2 days since we opened. Has not missed one day of work even after getting in a car accident. I appreciate that advice and parents have commented how happy they are to see the owner of the preschool present every single day.
Unregistered 10:10 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Well, BC you troll you. If you're gonna be like that you could at least furnish the drinks.
Josie girl would you like wine or tea?
Tags:active ignore, anti-social, entitlement, narcissism
Closed Thread Up