Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Baby and Downsizing - Which Option to Choose?
AfterSchoolMom 12:06 PM 08-01-2012
One one year old?
Two SA's?

My baby is due very soon - sometime within the next month. I have the option of caring for one child who is a year old, or taking on two school agers for afternoons only.

On one hand, I've already worked with the toddler family and like them. On the other hand, An infant, a one year old, and my own children (before and after school for them) seems like a lot. I don't really care for mixed age groups - those of you who do it are my heroes, haha.

The challenge with SA's is that they're SA's. The hours are short, but potentially stressful. Most importantly, these are theoretical SA's at this point, because I don't have any signed up currently.

If you were in my position, which option would you choose?
MNMum 12:20 PM 08-01-2012
I would choose the SA's, even though I don't particularly like doing SA care. Your baby could have you 1:1 all day! You can nap while the baby naps, you can leave the house.
MaritimeMummy 12:33 PM 08-01-2012
I'd have to say the 1-year-old. I have always found children of that age to be easier to deal with. They're eating solids so either less or no bottles, likely napping quite a bit, and there is no super-attitude or talking back. With 2 SA'ers I forsee breaking up a lot of arguments and general disagreements. They get bored easier. It will be harder for you to just sit down and feed your baby or rock with baby.

Consider it from the perspective of if your baby ends up being extremely colicky. What child/children would you be more comfortable keeping in that instance? Always assume your baby will be more difficult to handle than you anticipate. ;-)
AfterSchoolMom 12:51 PM 08-01-2012
MNMum, you have a point - I cared for this child for the majority of my pregnancy and I NEVER got to nap. It would certainly be nice (assuming that the new baby does nap, lol).

KHiltz, you're probably right about the attitudes - not to mention that sometimes it's the SA parents that have a worse attitude than the kids do.

UGH. I can't decide.
DCBlessings27 01:12 PM 08-01-2012
I'm jealous of the options! When I started my daycare, my dd was 4months. I had (2) 3yo, 2yo, and a 17mo along with her. I managed to take care of her, and naptime was our special time together when I nursed her.

Given your options, I'd choose the 1yo. If one of your own SA kids got sick, you could take 1yo with you to pick up him/her. Since the daycare child is already 1, he/she shouldn't be too much in addition to a new baby. I've never taken in a SA child, but the few 4yo preschoolers I've had have driven me up a wall. They try to tell me what to do, and it drives me crazy.

I'm hoping to take a long (likely 3-3.5month) maternity leave after my baby comes in December. I may not get any of my current kids back, but I'm ready to reduce some anyway. I want to be able to transport my dd to preschool when she starts Fall 2013, and my van will fit 5 kids at most.
cheerfuldom 03:16 PM 08-01-2012
I think I would go with the one year old. You have already been caring for him/her right?
Breezy 03:20 PM 08-01-2012
1 year old. Not talking much and wont talk back, say oh I'm BORED, you will be able to nurse easier without 20 questions or awkwardness, etc.
DaisyMamma 06:02 PM 08-01-2012
I'd personally go with SA, eventhough I do not like SA. I would want the time alone with my baby that you cant ever get back
I have a 3DD and two other younger kids during the day. She doesn't like to share her mom and if I had the option I would trade those 2 daytime kids for SA just so I could be alone with her ....only two more years and she is off to school herself
AfterSchoolMom 06:59 AM 08-02-2012
You all make excellent points for both sides.

I think, after some consideration, that I'm going to pursue the SA's. It'll mean a bit less money, but more time with my baby and a 15-20 hour work week instead of a 40+ hour work week. I'm going to tell the toddler family that I'll be glad to be their back up provider, though.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, I appreciate them all!
jojosmommy 11:56 AM 08-02-2012
Sa kids bring in lots of germs from school.

I would do the 1 yr old.
AfterSchoolMom 01:04 PM 08-02-2012
I already have two kids who are both in school, though, so there's no avoiding school-borne germs.
Reply Up