Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Icy Walkway
jenboo 06:45 AM 12-21-2016
You all know I'm a winter newb. I need more help please.

We have been having rain/frozen mix the past few days...just enough for the ground to get wet and then to freeze again. How do i keep my walkway from getting icy? Parents were almost slipping yesterday. It's unusual for our city to stay so cold so long. We have had snow on the ground for over a week...it usual melts by the next day.
All the nearby stores are out of ice melt. I was going to call around today and see if any others have some.
Any suggestions on how to keep my walkway safe?
DaveA 06:55 AM 12-21-2016
Put down some sand to provide traction. As for ice melt- when you buy it buy enough for multiple heavy uses. That way you're not buying it at the same time everyone else is.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 12-21-2016
Sand and cat litter work well too!

I also make a point of letting parents know that I will maintain my walk way to the best of my ability prior to opening, but should the weather create an issue during the day I can't guarantee that I will be able to get the sidewalk cleared (my hubby usually takes care of it) that I expect parents to use caution and I expect them to have "proper" shoes for the conditions as well.

In other words, if you're wearing dress shoes and are slipping and sliding, do not, I repeat do NOT mention the icy sidewalk.
jenboo 07:14 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I also make a point of letting parents know that I will maintain my walk way to the best of my ability prior to opening, but should the weather create an issue during the day I can't guarantee that I will be able to get the sidewalk cleared (my hubby usually takes care of it) that I expect parents to use caution and I expect them to have "proper" shoes for the conditions as well.

In other words, if you're wearing dress shoes and are slipping and sliding, do not, I repeat do NOT mention the icy sidewalk.

We will grab some cat litter today!!
It's only like 2' area. Reguardless of how much time i spend clearing the driveway and the rest of the walkway, they all walk trough the middle of my very snowy grass

Come spring, I'm putting pavers down so they don't leave a dirt tail in my grass
midaycare 07:31 AM 12-21-2016

My same problem parent showed up in icy conditions and a foot of snow in Crocs last week. Then complained and asked to borrow some of my socks.
jenboo 07:33 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
My same problem parent showed up in icy conditions and a foot of snow in Crocs last week. Then complained and asked to borrow some of my socks.

Controlled Chaos 07:37 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:

We will grab some cat litter today!!
It's only like 2' area. Reguardless of how much time i spend clearing the driveway and the rest of the walkway, they all walk trough the middle of my very snowy grass

Come spring, I'm putting pavers down so they don't leave a dirt tail in my grass
This is why I have a woodchip path straight from the sidewalk to my front door...walking on the driveway to the steps was wayyyyy to hard
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Eww!

Socks to me are like underwear... no, just no.

I hate Crocs.
Annalee 07:50 AM 12-21-2016
We had a lot of mud last year...dcm had to wear white all the time for the hospital....she came in one day and let me know how angry she was over her clothes getting muddy everyday..That afternoon I handed out a letter pretty much saying I wasn't responsible for the weather nor what you choose to wear.....gave letter to all parents...that dcm wore muck boots the next morning
midaycare 08:20 AM 12-21-2016
Eww!

Socks to me are like underwear... no, just no.

I hate Crocs.
She was even specific "I need white socks!" So I gave her a pair...to keep. And a warning not to wear Crocs in this weather again and expect different results...
daycarediva 10:22 AM 12-21-2016
ALL of my dcp's have white collar professional jobs. ALL wear boots and change at work.

It looks kinda funky in the professional skirts and dresses, suits, etc. but they have dry feet all day at work.
laundrymom 10:33 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Reguardless of how much time i spend clearing the driveway and the rest of the walkway, they all walk trough the middle of my very snowy grass
Nope. Just nope.
That would be the final straw for me.
AmyKidsCo 11:41 AM 12-21-2016
I use salt to help keep the walkways clear.
In my policies it says to be careful during the winter because I'll do my best to clear the walkways but the children are my priority. I also have a Caution sign I hang up when it's really icy.
Reply Up