Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Interviews In A Row....
Happy Hearts 04:52 PM 07-17-2012
One was a 'yes' and one was a 'no'.

I got this cute little 26 month old little girl. She's so smart and funny. I spent the whole day with her today and she was so good. No asking for mommy, no tantrums, no crying and very co-operative and interested in whatever I offered her.
I thought I would try some Monetessori trays, so I made four different ones. She loved them, and spent a good half an hour working on them.

Then, I had an interview this afternoon with a mom with a 9 month old. It was part time only. The baby was so cute, but really I knew I don't want infants when I saw her crawling around. I told the mom I was really sorry, but I didn't think it would work out with only part time and all. But, secretly I was thinking... heavens no! Plus, she was still breastfeeding and not using a sippy cup yet. And, the mom wasn't sure she even got the job yet. Mom looked so sad when she left, I just felt proud of myself for saying no.
littlemissmuffet 05:10 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
One was a 'yes' and one was a 'no'.

I got this cute little 26 month old little girl. She's so smart and funny. I spent the whole day with her today and she was so good. No asking for mommy, no tantrums, no crying and very co-operative and interested in whatever I offered her.
I thought I would try some Monetessori trays, so I made four different ones. She loved them, and spent a good half an hour working on them.

Then, I had an interview this afternoon with a mom with a 9 month old. It was part time only. The baby was so cute, but really I knew I don't want infants when I saw her crawling around. I told the mom I was really sorry, but I didn't think it would work out with only part time and all. But, secretly I was thinking... heavens no! Plus, she was still breastfeeding and not using a sippy cup yet. And, the mom wasn't sure she even got the job yet. Mom looked so sad when she left, I just felt proud of myself for saying no.
I don't want to come off the wrong way, but do you not inquire about age before setting up interviews?? I don't take infants either, so anyone looking to interview with a child under 12 months is simply turned away BEFORE an interview can even happen (or put on my waiting list, depending on the situation). If I *did* take children under 12 months and required them to be daycare ready (on a sippy, off the boob, etc) I would ask questions on the phone/in email to see where the child was before setting up an interview to save everyone a whole lot of wasted time. Also, I inquire about schedules before setting up interviews too. I will take part-timers, but they are charged a full-time fee. I always ask what hours a parent is looking for before discussing ANYTHING further.

I'm glad the first interview went well, did mom sign up?
Happy Hearts 05:57 PM 07-17-2012
You're so right Littlemissmuffett. I knew the child's age and thought I would be ok with it, but after seeing her crawling around on the floor I knew I wasn't prepared for an infant. I'm grateful I could go with my gut on that and not agree to something I'm not wanting to do.

Also, it would limit how the older children could play with smaller toys, sensory tubs and outside play. I just wouldn't be able to get in there with them while eagle-eyeing an infant.

Yes, the mom signed up! My first day care kid!! Yippee!
littlemissmuffet 07:22 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
You're so right Littlemissmuffett. I knew the child's age and thought I would be ok with it, but after seeing her crawling around on the floor I knew I wasn't prepared for an infant. I'm grateful I could go with my gut on that and not agree to something I'm not wanting to do.

Also, it would limit how the older children could play with smaller toys, sensory tubs and outside play. I just wouldn't be able to get in there with them while eagle-eyeing an infant.

Yes, the mom signed up! My first day care kid!! Yippee!
Well, I'm so glad you were able to determine that infants are not for you... and before actually signing one up! I didn't realize that you were new to daycare!

Glad the first interview worked out! When does she start?
Tags:interview, interview - multiple
Reply Up