Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lice In My Daught Thought We Would Skip This Year
familyschoolcare 02:08 PM 05-27-2012
My daughter who does spend time with the day care kids (she is 13) has gotten head lice. I am personally not too worried about this we have it down to a science this is the third year in a row she has gotten head lice. Most likely (99%) it will not spread to anyone else in the house or daycare. I will be telling the daycare families that it has come to my attention that someone at the daycare has gotten head lice. Between the four adult couples (two families each is a devoiced and has two couples set per family) only one of them will get conformational if they know it is my daughter that has brought it into the daycare. So without lying and without breaking regs rules how do I approach this? I am in Cal. Does anyone know is this something I am required to report to parents? I know from first hand experience that atleast in JR. high the schools do not tell that parents until a “pattern” has been established at least 3 children are more in the same classroom or %15 of all the students in the school or a grade.
Michael 06:30 PM 05-27-2012
Check here: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/di...onHeadLice.pdf
Crystal 07:57 AM 05-29-2012
Not sure if it is written in stone, but, YES.....you have to report to parents when there is any contagious "illness" that their child has been exposed to. Honestly, I would think you would WANT to report it, as it can and will spread like wildfire if parents are not diligently checking their child's hair every day. I am not sure where you got your figures, that it is 99% likely that no one else will get it......I'd say it's more like 50/50. Tell the parents, don't tell them who has it, and deal with the confrontational parent if they get confrontational. Frankly, I wouldn't let them get overly confrontational about it......lice happens....it's nobody's fault and if they have that big of a problem with it, then their child should not be in group care. Good luck
familyschoolcare 01:48 PM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Not sure if it is written in stone, but, YES.....you have to report to parents when there is any contagious "illness" that their child has been exposed to. Honestly, I would think you would WANT to report it, as it can and will spread like wildfire if parents are not diligently checking their child's hair every day. I am not sure where you got your figures, that it is 99% likely that no one else will get it......I'd say it's more like 50/50. Tell the parents, don't tell them who has it, and deal with the confrontational parent if they get confrontational. Frankly, I wouldn't let them get overly confrontational about it......lice happens....it's nobody's fault and if they have that big of a problem with it, then their child should not be in group care. Good luck
I did not get my information from any where in regaurds to now one else getting it just what I think based on the fact that last time it was in the house it did not go past my daughter.

I am going to tell the parents in person as I see them this week.

Was not sure if I needed to post it. I was also not sure if I had to give the parents notice in writing.
Crystal 02:28 PM 05-29-2012
Personally, I would put it in writing. That way they cannot say they were never told.
Tags:head lice, lice, lice guidelines, nits
Reply Up