Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think We're Done...
Pandaluver21 06:23 PM 12-01-2016
Ok, this will be a bit long, you're welcome to skip down to the lol
I had a parent start at the beginning of November, and it started of rocky. She didn't start when she was supposed to, kept pushing it off without showing up/calling then asking if we could wait until next time. I should have put a stop to it right there, but to be honest I needed the income
She forgot her paperwork the first day.
Her contract stated she would come 7:45-4:30, 3 days a week, and would pay at drop off on Wednesday for a week at a time.
She ended up coming any time between 7:45 and 9:30 without a call or text to let me know she would be late (contract states they need to let me know if they will be more than 15 minutes late)
She picked up at 5:40pm one night (I close at 5:15) with no contact and came in completely oblivious to the fact tht I was closed.
We use brightwheel and she hasn't signed up even though I have given her the code several times now. Because of this she is missing important information, including when her son was so constipated that he was miserable.
She pays for a day, maybe two at a time and usually that morning. One day she dropped off fully intending for me to take them (she has two boys) knowing she had no payment for the day.
I need the income, so I dealt with all this for longer than I should have.
Finally I got tired of it and wrote her a nice, but professional note to say I was done with it all and she needed to step up. It stated she needed to pay in full on her contracted day or would get a late fee, that she needed to let me know if she would be late for drop off, restated our closing time, as well as told her to sign up for brightwheel and that her kid had been out of diapers for two days now because she wasn't seeing my messages.
She came her next scheduled day and paid for JUST that day, didnt bring diapers, and still hadn't signed up for brightwheel. Again, was oblivious and I assume she didn't even read the letter.
Today she didn't show up... at all. No call, no text, no anything. She still owes two days on her current bill, plus would need to give a two week notice. Yes I need the income, but I'm just done.
I'm afraid she will try to show up tomorrow like nothing happened and need advice as to what to say if she does...
If she doesn't should I go after her for the payment still due?
I have taken one parent to court, but then owed over $1,000 (long story) but I don't know if it's worth it for just a couple weeks worth.
Thanks in advance!
midaycare 06:30 PM 12-01-2016
I would cut your losses. Some people go after money, but not me. That is why dcf's pay in advance here I'm not really the suing type.
Pandaluver21 06:41 PM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I would cut your losses. Some people go after money, but not me. That is why dcf's pay in advance here I'm not really the suing type.
Pay in advance here too. In my first few years I didn't do in advance and it turned out badly. I probably have at least 5 families that still owe at least $200 that I never did anything about, but the one family owed about $1,600 (again, long story :P ) and had another family who was an attorney, which is the only reason I took it to court.

More than the money I don't know what to say if she comes tomorrow. Or if I should say something even if she doesn't? I've been doing daycare for about 8 years and haven't had an issue quite like this before.

Oh, and I have no backbone and hate confrontation :P
Josiegirl 02:24 AM 12-02-2016
I detest confrontations but the fact is you're working for her at the moment. You're her babysitter, on a per diem basis. If you want to change that, don't even let her in the door.
"Per our signed contract, you have not ..........therefore I can no longer provide care. We are not a good fit." Then simply hand her anything that belongs to her.
Do not give her much conversation or else she will most certainly manipulate you into keeping him 'just for today' and I'm sure she'll promise you the moon. Then end up leaving without paying or providing paperwork. She's already shown her true colors. If she's got the gall to completely ignore your business rules, then you should not feel badly or awkward about refusing her care.
We're behind you! You can DO this!!
Heart12 08:38 AM 12-02-2016
OP I could've written this exact post! Minus the bit about diapers. I had a DCG4 start in October & I felt like all I did was remind the parents to send coats, payments are due, their signed contracted hours etc. The child hasnt shown all week & I havent even texted the parents to find out whether they plan to come back or not. Like a fool I didnt ask for a deposit I really need the income, but like you said Im just done. Ugh. This too shall be a lesson learned for us!
LysesKids 09:18 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Heart12:
OP I could've written this exact post! Minus the bit about diapers. I had a DCG4 start in October & I felt like all I did was remind the parents to send coats, payments are due, their signed contracted hours etc. The child hasnt shown all week & I havent even texted the parents to find out whether they plan to come back or not. Like a fool I didnt ask for a deposit I really need the income, but like you said Im just done. Ugh. This too shall be a lesson learned for us!
I never let my contract walk out the door; it's signed in front of me the minute they say they want the space... no sign, I keep looking - I also have it in my policies, if you no show/no call 3 days I automatically terminate the contract & start advertising. I don't have time to parent the parents & we shouldn't have too
Shawn 12:36 PM 12-02-2016
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this stress. I too have been taking in dcp's who I see have red flags from the start. It's usually when I'm low on income. And after 15 years in this business, I still haven't developed that backbone to say "no" once their children have started with me.

I think you should just cut your losses as well. No matter what form of enrollment they sign up for be it, full time, part time, drop off, which ever, I require an Enrollment Fee. Not Deposit. But this fee is usually in the amount of at least $50 up to a weeks' worth which is only credited to the last weeks attendance if they follow the policy. I started this because I was tired of losing money. And it's kind of cool when I have those difficult parents who forget they paid it and think they are running out without paying me.

As far as the contract. I don't give out a contract with out them paying an application fee. It's only $10 and I give it right back when they bring in the paper work by the due date. They can even drop off blank papers if they change their minds. I don't tell them about the fee until they decide to take it. I figure if a parent doesn't even have $10 on them, or can write a check or even run to a near by Atm, it means they probably can't make weekly childcare payments.

I don't give out the handbook until they've enrolled with first week and last week payment.
I do get parents who change their minds about the prepayments. But that's okay. Just lets me know I avoided an other possible problem.

I wish you the best in this situation. I understand first hand what it is like.
Pandaluver21 07:25 PM 12-02-2016
Thanks for all the info! You live and you learn... I'm ok with "cutting my losses" as some have suggested, but should I even attempt it? I have two options in my contract, either a 2 week deposit, or 2 week notice. This is the first time in over 8 years this has been a problem.

I was thinking of sending a letter to her along the lines of
"I'm sorry things didn't work, and hope you can find something that works great for your family. As per your contract, there is a two week notice/payment required. Please let me know how you will be paying this and picking up the boys belongings."

Is it worth even trying or should I just drop it? I am still worried she will show up Monday morning like nothing happened and I'll have to say it in person :P
Pandaluver21 01:28 PM 12-06-2016
Well she never showed. I'm relieved, except for the financial part! Going to miss the kids though! I will be sending her a final invoice, and see if anything comes from it!
Crazy8 07:29 PM 12-06-2016
Honestly at this point I wouldn't even bother with the 2 weeks, you are never going to see it.
In this business I have learned "what you put up with you end up with". Hard lesson but I'd cut your losses and not make the same mistakes again. In 15 years of providing daycare I have bent the rules a few times because I was in the situation where I needed the client, but never once have I provided a day of care for someone who owes me money.
Reply Up