Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New To Forums! But Have To Vent!
kimmi 05:44 PM 05-02-2011
Hi everybody! My name is Kim and I live in Michigan. I've been running my home license daycare going on my 5th year. I love reading these forums because everything I read I can so relate too. My daycare is currently full, so lots of kids and parents going in and out. Today was a mouth dropping day for me from one of my parents though. What would you guys say about this one... I had my 17 month old come in this morning and he was holding a crayon. My parent says to me "He has a crayon in his hand and he wont let go of it. Everytime I tried to take it away he would scream." and she goes on to say, "BUT its alright though because its a light color." WHAT????? so shes trying to tell me its alright for this one year old to carry this crayon and write all over everything all day BECAUSE its a light color????? I was floored!! I looked at her and said " and you think this is alright huh?" Why are parents so disrespectful of our homes?? What would you guys do?
Michael 06:08 PM 05-02-2011
Welcome to the forum Kimmi!
mickey2 06:11 PM 05-02-2011
What I would do is say to mom "sorry but"....as I am taking the crayon away, hand it to her and say have a good day!

Welcome to the forum. This is a wonderful place!
momatheart 06:12 PM 05-02-2011
I would say oh thats easy here is how you do it. take the crayon out of his hands let him scream and tell mom buh bye.

Or you put the child in a high chair give him paper and tell him this is where he can draw/write or hold his crayon. That way he is in one spot. If he uses the tray as paper you take the crayon away.
WDW 06:26 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by kimmi:
Hi everybody! My name is Kim and I live in Michigan. I've been running my home license daycare going on my 5th year. I love reading these forums because everything I read I can so relate too. My daycare is currently full, so lots of kids and parents going in and out. Today was a mouth dropping day for me from one of my parents though. What would you guys say about this one... I had my 17 month old come in this morning and he was holding a crayon. My parent says to me "He has a crayon in his hand and he wont let go of it. Everytime I tried to take it away he would scream." and she goes on to say, "BUT its alright though because its a light color." WHAT????? so shes trying to tell me its alright for this one year old to carry this crayon and write all over everything all day BECAUSE its a light color????? I was floored!! I looked at her and said " and you think this is alright huh?" Why are parents so disrespectful of our homes?? What would you guys do?
OMG I had this same situation, almost exactly. My DCK is 2 1/2 and mom lets her do WHATEVER she wants, including SIT on her baby sister. She brings crayons, she tries to take my toys home... she still has a binky and a stuffed toy she carries around all the time.... and mom was proud of herself one day because she "convinced" her to switch from a red crayon to a white one. What!?!? Oh, she let her bring change a few times... as soon as I figured it out I put my foot down. Dangerous much? She said, well, it helps me get her out of the house. Uh-huh. She's two. Be a parent.
Stacy214 06:30 PM 05-02-2011
YEP! I would have said "Oh, I'll take that now and when Mommy comes back you can have it" (then let her deal with it and let her child draw all over her property, geesh!) Some parents aggravate the crap out of me...lol

Welcome!!! You will love it here
PitterPatter 06:49 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by kimmi:
Oh my goodness what did she say??

I would have said I'm sorry nothing from home that's the rule for everyone. This is how spoiled kids are made. She doesn't have to yank it from his hand but she could have at least tried something. Maybe "can i see that? oh look lets read what color it is." Maybe point to his shoe distracting him and say now what color is that... while slipping it in her pocket... something for goodness sake. This is how I got a cherry sucker away from a kid this morning lol
MsMe 07:58 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
OMG I had this same situation, almost exactly. My DCK is 2 1/2 and mom lets her do WHATEVER she wants, including SIT on her baby sister. She brings crayons, she tries to take my toys home... she still has a binky and a stuffed toy she carries around all the time.... and mom was proud of herself one day because she "convinced" her to switch from a red crayon to a white one. What!?!? Oh, she let her bring change a few times... as soon as I figured it out I put my foot down. Dangerous much? She said, well, it helps me get her out of the house. Uh-huh. She's two. Be a parent.
I have one little girl who comes later in the morning she is 4 and so when she brings in change and other small trinkets her mother gets all huffy "well she is big enough to have them"

There are 2 things wrong with that statement lady...1. NOTHING FROM HOME
and 2. NOT EVERYONE HERE IS 'BIG' ENOUGH... including your other daughter (19mo.)

oh and p.s. I think her hair clips are "soo cute" too .....and DANGEROUS so here is it you can take it with you when you go.....see ya!
Hunni Bee 09:34 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I have one little girl who comes later in the morning she is 4 and so when she brings in change and other small trinkets her mother gets all huffy "well she is big enough to have them"

There are 2 things wrong with that statement lady...1. NOTHING FROM HOME
and 2. NOT EVERYONE HERE IS 'BIG' ENOUGH... including your other daughter (19mo.)

oh and p.s. I think her hair clips are "soo cute" too .....and DANGEROUS so here is it you can take it with you when you go.....see ya!
We have a little girl in the infant room who comes in daily wearing these tiny plastic hair barrettes or beads in her hair. We've warned her mom several times, especially after we've caught some of her little friends with the barrettes in their mouths , but she insists on putting them on. The infant room teachers just take the barrettes out and put them away when she gets there, but the beads are impossible to take off without undoing her hair and idk if were allowed to do that anyway...But you are willing to put your daughter and several other children at risk of choking so she can look cute??
melskids 03:02 AM 05-03-2011
i would have taken the crayon, walked out to her car, opened her door, and colored all over her seat and dashboard, looked at her and said "how does that make you feel?"

i'm only kidding. a person can dream, right?

welcome!
morgan24 04:12 AM 05-03-2011
Welcome, I'm from MI too. I would of taken the crayon and said to dcm, come on dcm get your head out of your a**! She's not going to color on all my stuff. Not really, but I would of taken the crayon and said she needs to learn that she can't have her own way all the time, sorry.
kimmi 06:12 AM 05-03-2011
omg. This morning the same kid had a red crayon in his hand!! Mom says, I dont know whats up with the crayons but hes got a deathgrip on it! I said, "well i have just the place for him, in his high chair with paper!" .....Unbelievable!!
Meeko 06:29 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We have a little girl in the infant room who comes in daily wearing these tiny plastic hair barrettes or beads in her hair. We've warned her mom several times, especially after we've caught some of her little friends with the barrettes in their mouths , but she insists on putting them on. The infant room teachers just take the barrettes out and put them away when she gets there, but the beads are impossible to take off without undoing her hair and idk if were allowed to do that anyway...But you are willing to put your daughter and several other children at risk of choking so she can look cute??
I have a part in my handbook about this. I don't need a baby choking to death on a barrette that some toddler pulled out of her hair and threw on the floor. So no hair accessories!
Meeko 06:35 AM 05-03-2011
So the kid had a death grip on the crayon and wouldn't let go?
AND?????

What is the mother going to do when he is 16, and has a death grip on the car keys???? If she can't control him as a toddler, how in the he!! does she expect to control him when he's a teenager bigger than she is?
QualiTcare 06:39 AM 05-03-2011
parents are so silly. the kid probably didn't even really care about the crayon - it was just a test. most things are. when mine would try (and still sometimes do try) to bring something they can't have from the house i'll tell them NO, put it down. if they whine, blink, or do anything other than put it down - i grab it, toss it, and "lead" them out the door. i usually get a "you're mean" to which i reply, "you've never seen me be mean" and that's the end.
MsMe 06:52 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
So the kid had a death grip on the crayon and wouldn't let go?
AND?????

What is the mother going to do when he is 16, and has a death grip on the car keys???? If she can't control him as a toddler, how in the he!! does she expect to control him when he's a teenager bigger than she is?

I am not the strongest girl on the block...I regularly have to have my boyfriend open the pickle jar....but in 7 years a toddler has NEVER hada a death grip I could't overcome. I have had parents use this same excuse on me before "I couldn't get Johnny out of the house without *it*" I simolily look at tehm remove the item from the childs hand, hand it to the parents, and lead teh child inside. The child (without fail) atops crying in under minute and we go on with our day.

Many parents say 'choose your battles" and this is one that I think I worth choosing and is much more important than parents realize. It is very important to show children that you are the one in charge and NOT them. LEttign them have this controll over the morning is setting them and the parents up for failiar when the child is older and rules have higher stakes but they still don't think they apply to them. Parents will wonder why their teens don't listen...and it is bc they have never had to in the past.
Meeko 07:09 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I am not the strongest girl on the block...I regularly have to have my boyfriend open the pickle jar....but in 7 years a toddler has NEVER hada a death grip I could't overcome. I have had parents use this same excuse on me before "I couldn't get Johnny out of the house without *it*" I simolily look at tehm remove the item from the childs hand, hand it to the parents, and lead teh child inside. The child (without fail) atops crying in under minute and we go on with our day.

Many parents say 'choose your battles" and this is one that I think I worth choosing and is much more important than parents realize. It is very important to show children that you are the one in charge and NOT them. LEttign them have this controll over the morning is setting them and the parents up for failiar when the child is older and rules have higher stakes but they still don't think they apply to them. Parents will wonder why their teens don't listen...and it is bc they have never had to in the past.
Amen. Parents look at it as "It's just a little crayon...what's the big deal?" The crayon's not the issue. The big deal is that little Billy is learning that HE is in charge and not Mommy. That's going to be dangerous in a few short years.
Tags:disrespectful parents, graffiti, toys from home, writing, writing on walls
Reply Up