Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screaming Through Nap Time
Julz 11:01 AM 05-05-2011
I have a little girl I watch on tuesdays and thursdays who will scream the entire nap time. Doesn't matter how often or how little you go in to comfort her. When she started about four months ago she was sleeping fine, but now won't sleep at all. The parents says she's doing the same thing at home and they think she might be ready to give up her nap time. I think she seems very tired, and that she still needs a nap. She is only 18 months. I'm at a loss for what to do here?? If she doesn't want to nap, they want me to keep her up, but I desperately cherish that time.
Live and Learn 12:42 PM 05-05-2011
Cry it out.
daysofelijah 01:10 PM 05-05-2011
Nope, everybody five and under naps for 2 hours here. She will get used to it eventually. Since she is only there 2 days a week it will take longer though.
nannyde 01:17 PM 05-05-2011
Give up her nap? Does she have two naps a day?
mac60 01:33 PM 05-05-2011
Parents are so silly sometimes....give up a nap at 18 mo. NO WAY! If you can, put her in a room alone and let her sing. I have a 16 mo old that is the very same way. When I walk out of the room she screams, when I walk into the room she shuts up, I have tried pitch dark, I have tried a light on, I have tried music, no music, I have tried everything I can think of, and she still screams for literally no reason. I just let her scream for the duration, I can not allow one stubborn child to disrupt the afternoon for all. Not sure why or why it started, just extremely stressful and annoying.
cheerfuldom 02:08 PM 05-05-2011
The parents saying she is "ready to give up naps" translates to them most likely not making her nap at all at home and fussing over her all day to keep an exhausted child happy. The only success I have ever had with part time kids is when I KNOW the parents are on a routine at home and it is something I can replicate here. Otherwise, you most likely will just have to deal with the crying two days a week. 18 month olds need a nap. The parents are making it worse by sending a child to you that is already exhausted and over stimulated. I would imagine that she is not very happy even when its not nap time. sorry, there is no magic cure for us daycare providers when parents are doing this sort of thing to their own kid.
Tags:nap - crying, screaming
Reply Up