Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cough Drops?
kendallina 08:16 PM 11-20-2013
I had a little girl, 3 years old go into her backpack and pop a cough drop in her mouth today. Haven't had this one before. First, it was a hard-candy-like cough drop, which I would consider a choking hazard. Second, I consider it medicine and don't allow medicine at my preschool and certainly don't allow 3-year olds to decide when they need it. I made her spit it out and she started crying.

Do some providers allow cough drops? This is a family that has been with 2 other home providers (I only provide part time preschool, so she been with two other providers for the days that she doesn't come to see me). It's not the norm to allow cough drops is it? Or am I being overly sensitive/cautious/rule-bound?

Thanks!
littlemissmuffet 08:21 PM 11-20-2013
I'd have also had the child spit the cough drop out and then spoke to the parents about it and said they were not allowed in your home for the same reasons you have (choking hazard, no medicine).
Play Care 03:09 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I'd have also had the child spit the cough drop out and then spoke to the parents about it and said they were not allowed in your home for the same reasons you have (choking hazard, no medicine).

I keep their bags out of reach and *I* am the only one who goes in them if they ask for something in them (provided what they ask for is even allowed.)
I've had too many times where parents have had things like Tylenol, prescriptions, food items, etc. in bags to be comfortable allowing access.
snbauser 05:13 AM 11-21-2013
Absolutely not and exactly for the reasons you listed.
kendallina 06:41 AM 11-21-2013
Ok, great. Thanks everyone!
Brooksie 06:45 AM 11-21-2013
I agree with PP and OP. Absolutely NOT.
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 11-21-2013
I hope DCM knows kids can be suspended/expelled from public school for those...

Print off a copy of the local elementary schools handbook, tell her that is WHY you are being tough now.
Reply Up