Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Days Are You Taking Off In 2014?
daycarediva 03:22 AM 12-30-2013

I am finalizing my 2014 handbooks and this is the last thing I need to do. What days is everyone taking off in 2014?

Jan 1 is obviously one of my days (which I honestly do NOT like taking unless it falls on a Friday.)
daycarediva 03:29 AM 12-30-2013
I get 10 paid vacation days, 2 personal/sick paid days and 3 unpaid days

New Years Day
July 4 (Friday)
11/27 & 11/28 (Thurs and Fri-thanksgiving)
12/24, 12/25 & 12/26 (Wed-Fri, Christmas)

That's 7. Maybe a week off in summer and another 3 day weekend thrown in somewhere. There is a giant stretch from NY to 4th of July!
coolconfidentme 03:30 AM 12-30-2013
I was just sitting here trying to decide what days to take off next year. My handbook says, We reserve the right to close on any federally recognized holiday.
daycarediva 03:41 AM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I was just sitting here trying to decide what days to take off next year. My handbook says, We reserve the right to close on any federally recognized holiday.
Ohhhhh that's good! LOL!!! I sometimes have 1-2 kids on Labor day and think, should have closed but didn't want to waste the day, kwim?
LaLa1923 04:06 AM 12-30-2013
2014 Holiday Schedule
_____________Childcare will be closed on the following paid holidays:

January 1st– New Year’s Day

January 20th- Martin Luther King Day

February 17th- Presidents Day

April 18th- Good Friday

May 26th– Memorial Day

July 4th– Independence Day

September 1st– Labor Day

October 13th – Columbus Day

November 11th- Veterans Day

November 27th & 28th– Thanksgiving Day

December 25th & 26th– Christmas Day

December 31st- New Year’s Eve

*In addition to this schedule, I close at 3:00pm on October 31st and November 26th. Also, on February 14th I will close at 6:00pm.

**We will be closed on Saturdays before holidays, before and after vacations, personal days, and early closing days. These days will be posted on the white board.
Scout 04:22 AM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
2014 Holiday Schedule

April 18th- Good Friday

May 26th– Memorial Day

September 1st– Labor Day

*In addition to this schedule, I close at 3:00pm on October 31st and November 26th. Also, on February 14th I will close at 6:00pm.

**We will be closed on Saturdays before holidays, before and after vacations, personal days, and early closing days. These days will be posted on the white board.
Wow! Do you find clients gripe about the Veterans, MLK, Presidents Day type closures? It seems like a lot for some working people, not that you don't deserve it. I mean, if they know at signing a contract they can not say anything but, I think I would habe a hard tome fondong clients here that would not need care thkse days. I an totally envious!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:33 AM 12-30-2013

April 18th- Good Friday

May 26th– Memorial Day

September 1st– Labor Day

November 11th- Veterans Day (there is a youth group trip that day every year)

December 24th & 25th– Christmas Day

I also am taking a couple of Fridays off in the spring to go visit colleges with my son and I am taking a Thursday- Tuesday vacation week in August. (By going that way I still get paid for my publicly funded kids) So like 6 other days.

Thanks for helping me nail that one down
LaLa1923 04:42 AM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Wow! Do you find clients gripe about the Veterans, MLK, Presidents Day type closures? It seems like a lot for some working people, not that you don't deserve it. I mean, if they know at signing a contract they can not say anything but, I think I would habe a hard tome fondong clients here that would not need care thkse days. I an totally envious!
I offer care on those days but for a little more money. (since it is a holiday)

Luckily for me, I have all federal employees or business owners and they have the same days off.
Annalee 05:29 AM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
2014 Holiday Schedule

April 18th- Good Friday

May 26th– Memorial Day

September 1st– Labor Day

I get paid 52 weeks flat rate for every family regardless which include the above listed holidays along with Child Care Conferences in the Spring & Fall (Thurs & Fri for each). I am closed Wed thru Labor Day plus the week Dec. 24 thru Jan 1 every year....I also take two days around Memorial day and July 4. I also leave in there 5 personal days to b used separate or consecutive. Emergenye days without notice are also listed (sickness, death, no electricity or water). I tried to cover myself in every aspect.... My contract is very precise and I over emphasize the importance of READING the contract.
Annalee 05:32 AM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I explain that these are school holidays and I have my own children which allows special "family time" which is of great importance to me. I am sure I get some bashing behind my back, but as long as they respect me enough to pay and stick with my program rules, I can deal with it.
snbauser 06:05 AM 12-30-2013
In the past I took
New Years
MLK
Good Friday
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving (closed at 3 on Wed and off Thurs/Fri)
Christmas (closed at 12 Christmas Eve - Jan 1)

My schedule is different now because I follow the school schedule but I never get President's Day because our schools don't get it off.
Memc2001 06:16 AM 12-30-2013
Per my contract-
New Year's Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

I will also be closed 1 week in July for vacation.
I am seriously thinking I will be closed a few more days than this because since the 23rd I have had 2 or less kids per day and some have not showed up to pay. It's not worth my time to work for $85 per week and keep the electricity on out there. Since I plan on reducing my group size to around 4-5 this coming year and all of my clients are teachers & Federal workers, something has to change.
melilley 10:16 AM 12-30-2013
I took:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve and Day

Plus:
one week paid vacation in July

One Non paid vacation-I'm not sure when, but will give adequate notice. I didn't take this one this year.

5 sick/personal/educational/emergency closure days (already have one scheduled for June)

I also put that whatever days that I don't use of the sick/personal/etc... days, that I will use them for the week of Christmas.
Great Beginnings 10:30 AM 12-30-2013

April 18th- Good Friday

May 26th– Memorial Day

June 2nd - June 6th Vacation week

September 1st– Labor Day

October 31st - Close at 4pm

November 27th/28th– Thanksgiving/Day After

December 24th-26th– Christmas Break

December 31st- Close at 4pm
SilverSabre25 10:32 AM 12-30-2013
I take 6 paid federal holidays, 5 paid personal days and 5 unpaid personal days that are scheduled in advance.

next year I'm trying something different that I hope I don't regret. I'm eliminating a few of the usual long weekends I take, and taking a full week in June (unpaid) and then a fulll paid week around Christmas.

January
Wednesday, January 1st: New Year's Day (paid)
February (none)
March
Friday, March 14th: closed [date subject to change]
April (none)
May
Monday, May 26th: Memorial Day (paid)
June
Monday, June 9th--Friday June 13th: Closed (5 UNPAID)
July
Friday, July 4th: Independence Day (paid)
August (none)
September
Monday, September 1: Labor Day (paid)
October
Thursday, October 30th: close EARLY, pick up by 3:30/double late fees will apply
November
Wednesday, November 26th: close EARLY, pick up by 3:30/double late fees will apply
Thursday, November 27th: Thanksgiving (paid)
Friday, November 28th: Closed (paid)
December 2014/January 2015
Wednesday, December 24th: close EARLY, pick up by 3:30/double late fees will apply
Thursday, December 25th (Christmas) and Friday December 26th: (closed, paid)
Monday, December 29th--Friday, January 2nd: (closed, 4 paid/1 UNPAID)
MarinaVanessa 10:57 AM 12-30-2013
I don't take very many days off. In 2014 I'll be off the following 9 days paid:

 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY – Monday January 20th, 2014
 PRESIDENT’S DAY – Monday February 17th, 2014
 MEMORIAL DAY – Monday May 26th, 2014
 LABOR DAY – Monday September 1st, 2014
 THANKSGIVING DAY – Thursday November 27th, 2014
 DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING – Friday November 28th, 2014
 CHRISTMAS EVE – Wednesday December 24th, 2014
 CHRISTMAS DAY – Thursday December 25th, 2014
 NEW YEAR’S DAY – Thursday January 1st, 2015

I don't charge for days that I close when I'm sick or go on vacation but I don't give my clients sick days or vacation days either.
KDC 11:26 AM 12-30-2013
I plan to add the day after Christmas... Christmas falls on a Thursday, so the Friday after I AM TAKING THE DAY OFF - PAID=)

This year one of my teacher parents wanted to prepare for her NYE's party... so I stayed up really late cleaning up all the toys from my three kids, just to have her cancel the next day at 9.
Maria2013 04:43 AM 12-31-2013
I don't take any days off...but I'm hoping to have the main holidays off and maybe a long weekend
littlemissmuffet 06:08 AM 12-31-2013
I always take:

January 1st (New Years Day)
February 17th (Family Day)
April 18th (Good Friday)
May 19th (Victoria Day)
July 1st (Canada Day)
August 4th (Provincial Holiday)
September 1st (Labour Day)
October 13th (Thanksgiving)
October 31st (Halloween)
November 11th (Remembrance Day)
December 24th (Christmas Eve)
December 25th (Christmas Day)
December 26th (Boxing Day)

All paid.

Plus, I take 2 5 day vacations each year that are also paid. This year we're off for a week in March and a week in June.
Reply Up