Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ready to Call It Quits
cara041083 09:27 AM 01-16-2014
So I had my baby Dec 28th and took the two weeks off and started back up the 12th. I only had one lil one start back up and the rest had it worked out to start in the next few weeks. I had explained to everyone that I would not offer part time any longer due to the fact that I could not financially afford it. Ok so skip to day 2 of lil one being here, now the parent is no less bulling me to do part time for them because they don't want full time. When I explained to them why I couldn't do it. They got pissy and said "well we will just make sure shes here everyday and when you find another part time kid to put into the days we don't need you we will switch to part time" and then walked out the door. I am so frustrated. I have had nothing but trouble with finding kids, keeping kids, and stuff like this that I honestly don't think my heart is in it anymore. I don't know what to do. I have 4 kids myself and going to work is hard with finding daycare for all of them. but at the same time I don't know how to deal with all this any more. How do you ladies deal with this kind of stuff? I feel so helpless with not knowing if at the end of the month I am going to have enough to help my husband with bills or if I'm hurting us even farther and for what, to deal with all this stress of trying to make this work. Any advise would be helpful. I want to make this work but I just don't know If I can deal with all this any longer. Thanks
cara041083 09:30 AM 01-16-2014
And I will add that all of my families knew that part time would no longer be available and signed new contracts with me that I made them turn in by Jan 1st to save there spot. So this info wasn't a surprise to them
LaLa1923 09:35 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
So I had my baby Dec 28th and took the two weeks off and started back up the 12th. I only had one lil one start back up and the rest had it worked out to start in the next few weeks. I had explained to everyone that I would not offer part time any longer due to the fact that I could not financially afford it. Ok so skip to day 2 of lil one being here, now the parent is no less bulling me to do part time for them because they don't want full time. When I explained to them why I couldn't do it. They got pissy and said "well we will just make sure shes here everyday and when you find another part time kid to put into the days we don't need you we will switch to part time" and then walked out the door. I am so frustrated. I have had nothing but trouble with finding kids, keeping kids, and stuff like this that I honestly don't think my heart is in it anymore. I don't know what to do. I have 4 kids myself and going to work is hard with finding daycare for all of them. but at the same time I don't know how to deal with all this any more. How do you ladies deal with this kind of stuff? I feel so helpless with not knowing if at the end of the month I am going to have enough to help my husband with bills or if I'm hurting us even farther and for what, to deal with all this stress of trying to make this work. Any advise would be helpful. I want to make this work but I just don't know If I can deal with all this any longer. Thanks
I don't understand the above bolded part. I make MORE money on part time with LESS headache. If you have a hard time with enrollment why not take part time??

However, I would term a family that tried to bully me.

In the end you must do what is best for you, your business, and your family!!

Furthermore, please come here as often as you need. PM if you need to, I'm here for you!

You just had a baby! It's completely normal for your hormones to still be all over the place. That in itself is stressful enough!!
butterfly 09:40 AM 01-16-2014
If a parent talked to me like that, They'd be finding a new daycare who did part time and was willing to put up with their BS! No amount of money is worth being disrespected in your own home and especially after just having a baby!

congrats on the birth of your baby!

EchoMom 09:43 AM 01-16-2014
I also charge more per day for part time but unless she can fill all five days with part timers that fit opposite each other perfectly there will still be a loss. That's why we charge more per day for part time to help offset some of that loss.

I don't take or anymore and agree it's a headache. But if you're desperate for the finances you might have too. And it is quite lucrative if you raise the daily price and are able to fill all days then you do end up making more than ft but that's hard to find perfectly complimentary schedules.
cara041083 09:44 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I don't understand the above bolded part. I make MORE money on part time with LESS headache. If you have a hard time with enrollment why not take part time??

Furthermore, please come here as often as you need. PM if you need to, I'm here for you!

You just had a baby! It's completely normal for your hormones to still be all over the place. That in itself is stressful enough!!
All the kids I was doing part time with don't have set days. All the parents work retail so on one day I will over by 1 or 2 kids and then the next I have no kids. I had tried to do part time with more money but it just didn't work. I do think alot of it is my hormones. I think I will term. I just get to worried about loosing the money(which then again is the hormones). I see all of you ladies that are strong and tell it like it is to other posters as well as your families. I need to take my feelings out of it and get strong and strict like alot you guys are!
Annalee 09:47 AM 01-16-2014
[quote=LaLa1923;425629]I don't understand the above bolded part. I make MORE money on part time with LESS headache. If you have a hard time with enrollment why not take part time??

/QUOTE]

I disagree on the part-time issue. I have several children that only come two/three days a week but they pay full-time...the spot, not attendance. It would be a headache for me to try and fill spots on days not paid for.
Crazy8 09:53 AM 01-16-2014
If I didn't take part timers I wouldn't have a business!!! Parents can save money by doing part time and I don't blame them for wanting that for their family. And like another post said, I make MORE money on part timers than full time. BUT my part timers are still contracted for set days and hours. Your problem with part time is not that they are part time but that they don't have a set schedule.

If a full timer pays me $185/week that avgs out to $37/day. My part timers pay $45/day so if I have one M,W,F and one T,TH I make $225 instead of the $185. Yes, sometimes they don't work out perfectly like that, but I don't mind a day where I'm down a kid or two cause even if I had 2 kids that were 2 days a week (different days) that would be $180 a week - only $5 less than my ft rate yet I get one day a week with less kids (or can fill it in with other part timers).

I would put your foot down to parents that you are willing to work with them to save costs on daycare by going part time but if they can not commit to a set schedule then they will need to find another provider.

ETA: It also depends on your area, around here if you tried to charge ft rate for pt attendance you would get laughed at and they'd move on no matter how good you are - it just isn't done that way in my area.
My3cents 10:05 AM 01-16-2014
I think your heart is still in it. I just feel you need to stop pleasing everyone else and put your foot down on things that are of importance to you. Let what she said roll off your back and when it comes up again, you just simply tell her verbally that No, your not going to find a part time kid to fill in the other days your child does not come. You have decided to not do part time anymore and only offer full time slots. This is your business and you should run it the way you want to run it. I have been doing this a very long time and I find that the daycares that make it are the ones that have clear consistent boundaries, rules, and respect from parents. They don't let the parents run them, they make it clear what is accepted in their home and what is not. Cut yourself some slack, you have been more then fair with giving notice and having them sign new agreements that clearly stated your rules. Let her huff and puff or find a new daycare- Enjoy the kids, look to better your program but at your discretion not at the mercy of clients that talk to you like that. I wish you the best- This place is great for information, helps, back bone growth, friends etc.... and so much more-
My3cents 10:07 AM 01-16-2014

If you do part time make sure to charge more for it, La La is right. I understand not wanting to do part time and its your choice.

I wanted to say Congratulations on your new little one!!! Enjoy
LaLa1923 10:08 AM 01-16-2014
[quote=dapb45;425640]

/QUOTE]

I disagree on the part-time issue. I have several children that only come two/three days a week but they pay full-time...the spot, not attendance. It would be a headache for me to try and fill spots on days not paid for.
This I do not do. I only take part time if I have another child that can take the other days. But if I needed the money I would take it
My3cents 10:08 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
If a parent talked to me like that, They'd be finding a new daycare who did part time and was willing to put up with their BS! No amount of money is worth being disrespected in your own home and especially after just having a baby!

congrats on the birth of your baby!

Why can't I just simplify things up nice and neat like this.........oh joy, I have to take the long way around often. Well said
LaLa1923 10:10 AM 01-16-2014
All the kids I was doing part time with don't have set days. All the parents work retail so on one day I will over by 1 or 2 kids and then the next I have no kids. I had tried to do part time with more money but it just didn't work. I do think alot of it is my hormones. I think I will term. I just get to worried about loosing the money(which then again is the hormones). I see all of you ladies that are strong and tell it like it is to other posters as well as your families. I need to take my feelings out of it and get strong and strict like alot you guys are!
Part time for me is 3 or less SET days a week. If my retail parents cannot do this they have FULL TIME spots.
My3cents 10:16 AM 01-16-2014
honestly it comes with time and experience and some days are just better then others. Just do it and once you do you will see that it is possible to do- even if doesn't turn out the way that you hoped- at least you stood up for what you wanted and believed in. I pick my battles and decide what is going to effect me down the road. Am I going to have resentments? Being a care giver it is natural for us to care, but ultimately we need to care for us first so that we are able to care for others. Caring for myself means putting my family first and not being bullied into something I don't want or being run by $. I had to learn the hard way too, no $ is worth my sanity. When you start to not like your job, you need to reassess and make changes. No job will be 100% perfect and not have bad days here and there but when everyday becomes a challenge time to mix it up and figure it out.
Best-
Annalee 10:16 AM 01-16-2014
not having set days was part of my problem as well, so I just quit pt all-together. Much easier for me now, plus it gives me some short days to work.
melilley 10:17 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Why can't I just simplify things up nice and neat like this.........oh joy, I have to take the long way around often. Well said
Me too!

I actually used my backbone last night and it felt really good! I was sooo ready for the parents to battle me, but they didn't-of course they didn't battle me when I actually had confidence to stand up for myself... Hopefully they'll take me seriously from now on and if not, I now know that I can be firm...if I need to be.

Just try it once (using your backbone), It'll do wonders for you, it did for me...
melilley 10:27 AM 01-16-2014
I have set days for part time as well. That way if I really need to have another pt child because of financial reasons, or what have you, I could try to find another part timer. I have 2 pt kids, but right now that's all I want. I could take another one, but don't want to, but if I absolutely had to then at least I know the days that I have open.

That dcp would have made me so mad! I can't believe she talked to you like that!
daycarediva 10:46 AM 01-16-2014
I would compromise with pt. Not offering at all is your right, but it doesn't seem smart if enrollment is low. Any money is better than no money.

I would offer them a choice: (prices are examples, just so I make sense)
Full time rate at $150/week
Part time, 3 days week, SET DAYS rate at $100/week. Additional days, if available, billed at drop in rate of $35/day.
Part time rate, 3 variable days per week $120. Additional days, if available, billed at drop in rate of $35/day.

I also make it clear that FT trumps PT. Drop in days aren't always available due to ratio, or your own personal schedule and need to be booked in advance (set time) paid on morning of drop off, etc.

I also charge more for PT.
5 days=35/day or 175 week
4 days=40/day or 160 week
3 days=45/day or 135 week
anything less or drop in is 50/day

and when I do get clients who have alternating schedules, I make significantly more for the space than a FT client. Pt clients (and kids) are typically more hassle, harder to align schedules so that I don't have open spaces, and therefor, they pay more.
TwinKristi 10:49 AM 01-16-2014
My PT family is set days as well. At one point when I was full I was lucky to have a M&F only kid and a T-W-Th kid so it worked perfectly! Then M&F kid left for PreK and the other guy comes 4-5 days a week now anyway! I just charge extra and don't let them pick and choose their days. Like last week they brought him Mon & Fri but Thurs they were gone for a funeral. I still charged them for Fri even though they didn't use Thurs because that's their contracted day. The other days are drop-in days they pay for at the time of service which sucks sometimes when I want to make plans or something ya know? Having low numbers this month has allowed me to get the kids' checkup and dentists appts in since I have Mon & Fri off until school is out currently.
Reply Up