Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Did You Take Off and How to Tell Families About Pregnancy
happyheart 08:20 AM 03-06-2016
We found out we were pregnant over 6 weeks ago and my own children just were told mommy is going to have a baby. For that reason, we are going to announce to the daycare families about our new addition. This baby does not take anyone's spot so I am not worried about that but I am unsure how much time to take off. Originally I was thinking I would close for 2 weeks and then my husband would take an additional two weeks after me to be with the baby with additional help from family. I don't want to loose families nor financially loose too much money either but I am on the fence about possibly taking 3 weeks...what did you do during this situation. I am going to tell them in person and then hand them a letter outlining my leave so if you have a good letter that you've used that would help too! TIA!!!!
Denali 10:15 AM 03-06-2016
With my first I went into labor Friday night (after working all day with the daycare, and had my son that Saturday at 2:57pm. I was closed Monday for Memorial Day and called and closed Tuesday. Daycare was back open Wednesday. I hugely regretted not closing for longer...

My second was a c-section. I closed for 2weeks and needed those two weeks. My husband was able to take off 8 weeks from his job to help out with the daycare. I was good to handle things on my own (but with lifting restrictions) by the end of two weeks, though I did hurt myself because I was pushing myself to hard. I should have taken more time off, but I was worried that taking more time for the c-section would have me loosing families, but I wish I had taken more time, around 3 weeks or more...

For a standard birth (no complections) 2 weeks should be good I think. For a c-section more might be needed.
NightOwl 12:26 PM 03-06-2016
I want to say something. I see you ladies having babies and stressing over taking two weeks off and it just hurts my heart that you have to sacrifice that time for fear of losing families. If we worked in any other job, we would automatically be entitled to 6 weeks of maternity leave. Whether or not that leave would be paid would depend on the company, but most employers allow employees to accrue sick leave, vacation days, etc, that could be used to supplement any gaps.

Yet, us providers push our bodies to get back to it 2/3s faster than the rest of the country and give up that one on one time with our infants for fear of losing business. I just hate it. I hate that our jobs put us in the position of having to make that choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job and definitely see the benefits of having children while being able to be at home with them as infants and still work. I'm talking specifically about that 6 weeks after deliver that so many of us give up in order to retain clients and pay the bills.

The only advice I can give is to take that 3 weeks!! If you can plan ahead over these next few months, save as much money as you can to use while you're out of work for those 3 weeks. It also wouldn't hurt to quietly build a small wait list, if possible, so if you have families who bail on you over 3 weeks of maternity leave.

My first instinct is to say, if they leave an awesome provider because she takes 3 weeks to spend with her own baby, then you don't want them anyway. But I know not everyone can afford to allow families to leave just because they're a$$holes. So save that money every chance you get, enough to cover several weeks if you can, in case you lose any families. But definitely take that time. Enjoy your baby. You can't get those first few weeks back.
Sheri 01:50 PM 03-06-2016
Here are some previous threads on maternity leave length: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...leave+-+length
Annalee 02:02 PM 03-06-2016
I told my parents from the beginning I would close a week following the birth of each of my children. I get paid 52 weeks a year and work with an assistant so that worked for me. I had second child very easily but had c-section on the first one. My parents probably talked behind my back but I did get paid so that is all I care about and they all came back I had one child on a Friday so I opened back up on a Monday following the week off....one child was born on a Thursday and I done the same thing....opened on Monday following my week off! I agree with other posters, do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with....but whatever you decide, be non-negotiable!!!! Good luck!
Ariana 02:58 PM 03-06-2016
I took 3 weeks off and had help for the next 3 weeks. All of my families were more than ok with it and asked if I wanted more time! "Are you sure you only need 3 weeks?". For me at that time I had older kids so having them here was a big help because they were able to occupy my older daughter. She was still having fun and her routine was not interrupted. I was really grateful for my daycare kids!
Crazy8 04:20 PM 03-06-2016
I took 2 weeks for each of my kids. One week paid (in my contract) and the other week unpaid. I had no trouble going back after 2 weeks.
I think the important thing in telling is to have a plan - what will happen if you go into labor during the day (I never did thank goodness!), how much time you'll be taking, etc. Answer all their questions and assure them you can handle it!

Also my parents had no problem with us "taking it easy" the last few weeks of my pregnancies, I added a movie hour the last 2 weeks or so - when I just needed to sit a little more.
NillaWafers 06:24 PM 03-06-2016
2 weeks off, DH was home for 6 weeks from the start of those first two weeks, so I got a month of help with the daycare. Yes it sucks. I wish I could have taken 2 months off but no way was I losing my *decent* families.
Tags:maternity leave, maternity leave - length, maternity leave letter, pregnancy - parent notification
Reply Up