Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bum Sores
Ariana 10:16 AM 06-15-2017
I have a 17 month old who comes here 2-3 days a week. He has two open sores on his bum that are either bleeding or oozing. Whenever he is here I have been putting bum cream on but the parents don't do it at home! I told them about the sores, they obviously know he has them and he wails and wails, the poor kid, when his diaper is being changed and when he has a poop in his diaper. His poop is very acidic for some odd reason. He has had these sores off and on since starting but these particular two have been there now for 2 weeks.

The mom mentioned bringing me special soft wipes to use (but they are so expensive ) and she mentioned bringing diaper cream but they never materialize. At this point I have stopped using my diaper cream on him. What should I do here? How can I convince the parents to help clear this up?? Ignore it?
laundrymom 10:33 AM 06-15-2017
"Mom, since routine diaper changing and standard bum care isn't helping juniors wounds on his bottom, I'm going to require a doctors visit to rule out a possible underlying condition. Possibly we can get some relief for him and answers why his skin isn't clearing up. He can return to care after being seen. Please ensure the doctors instructions for caring for his bum are written and signed by doc so my licensor knows he's been seen and a plan is in place for correction. "
daycarediva 10:39 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
"Mom, since routine diaper changing and standard bum care isn't helping juniors wounds on his bottom, I'm going to require a doctors visit to rule out a possible underlying condition. Possibly we can get some relief for him and answers why his skin isn't clearing up. He can return to care after being seen. Please ensure the doctors instructions for caring for his bum are written and signed by doc so my licensor knows he's been seen and a plan is in place for correction. "
Yup. Dr's visit.

I have one kiddo split time between here and another program. EVERY SINGLE TIME he comes again on Thursday he has a fricking rash! Pisses me off. (attends here M/t/th/F and there Wednesday)

She doesn't use cream on him, and he also has acidic (non smelly) poo bc mom gives him wayyyy too much juice.
Ariana 10:41 AM 06-15-2017
Did not think of it so thanks ladies!! I will require a DR visit. The oozing is what concerns me the most.

To be honest it is insane I even have to ask this question on a forum. Give your head a shake parents
Annalee 10:45 AM 06-15-2017
In the past, I had dcm that used cloth diapers and whatever she cleaned them with, if she didn't rinse well enough, when the child peed it would burn their bottom and leave sores. Smelled like ammonia?? Does the child use cloth diapers?
laundrymom 10:58 AM 06-15-2017
I have one who is w grandma on sundays and wednesdays. She has a rash Monday and Thursday mornings. But sores are different. Sores are an opening for MRSA and ain't NOBODY got time for that.
hwichlaz 11:00 AM 06-15-2017
re cloth diapers
Some detergents have enzymes in them that are activated by the moisture when they pee...these enzymes are not skin friendly. My own son gets a rash from these detergents when he sweats.

I think this poor kiddo is sitting in soiled diapers at home. Rashes will clear up with frequent changing alone, absent illness/diarrhea. I'd suspect neglect at this point. Please document in their file in case they try to blame you at the Dr. office.
KarenSue 12:30 PM 06-15-2017
One of my previous babies had acidic poop too. She would get really raw. Her doctor started her on a probiotic and that took care of it.
Scout 02:53 PM 06-15-2017
Pull the strings out of tea bags, wet em, and put them in his diapers during the day. They work wonders for this type of thing!
Ariana 05:02 PM 06-15-2017
Its not cloth diapers but this kid poops a LOT, sometimes 4 times a day. He is at home with dad during the week when he is not with me.
trix23 05:17 PM 06-15-2017
Sounds like my son. I use an herbal diaper rash cream on him and change frequently. I use a wipe warmer and put water on the wipes to keep them from drying out. The water helps gently cleanse the bottom.
trix23 05:18 PM 06-15-2017
Could it be possible he's lactose intolerant? I had a DCG here who had sores like that too. Looked like river tributaries with bleeding.
Unregistered 05:47 PM 06-15-2017
For kids who come with a rash, thoroughly rinse enough wipes for the day and put them in a plastic bag. The ingredients in the wipes can irritate raw skin.
Ariana 09:34 AM 06-16-2017
It is quite possible he may have an issue with dairy but it is hard to know as he doesn't have any other symptoms really. I was thinking tomato but he hates it! I told mom to take him to the DR and she said he has a scheduled appointment next week and will ask about it then. We will see.

Good idea about the wipes, I will definitrly do that. I think diaper cream is helping for sure but when he is not here they are not using it. I am thinking about putting some yeast cream on it as well. He has been on antibiotics so I am also suspecting an overgrowth of yeast.
trix23 11:00 AM 06-16-2017
Could be. Have patents go diaper-free a few hours till it clears up. Do Epsom salt baths nightly at home.
Reply Up