Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Worked While Sick?
MomBoss 05:54 AM 12-21-2018
Not just a cold ..but like strep, vomiting, flu..type stuff?
storybookending 06:16 AM 12-21-2018
I am today. I got sick last night about 3 times. Vomit and diarrhea sorry TMI. I thought it was something I ate as I did overdue it last night but then I had a mom text that her child was having the same symptoms.

I feel a bit better and offered to stay open with full disclosure of symptoms and notice that another child has the same symptoms but suggested if they had back up care to use it as I would hate to have the kiddos sick on Christmas. I was always sick on Christmas as a kid.

That being said I have one child today, the youngest one. He’s 15 months and he’s always been so easy so I’m going to be on my couch watching TV while he plays in an adjacent room and not even feel bad about it at all. Dad is on standby if I take a turn towards the worst and can leave work if need be but figured he’s already been exposed.. which honestly is true. As long as I don’t move around too much I think I’ll be fine. I haven’t tried to eat yet and still have no appetite. My mom is bringing me a Sprite.

I’m bummed because it’s the last daycare day before Christmas and I have the kiddos gifts I made them and the gifts they made for their parents. My sib set mom stopped by and picked them up and I have another mom stopping after work. I so wanted to see the children hand the gifts to their parents so I’m sad about that. I really do not like Christmas at all and giving the kids/parents their gifts was what I was most looking forward to.
Snowmom 06:22 AM 12-21-2018
A few times.

Last March I was still recovering from a really bad illness that required a pic line with IV meds 4 times a day... doing daycare the whole time.

There's also a few times I've called mid day and told families to pick up because I wasn't as strong as I thought I was. No guilt. You gotta do what you gotta do! Your health is more important than this job!
sharlan 07:55 AM 12-21-2018
I've only taken 3 days off for illness in 35 years. Once dcm came in and found me passed out on bathroom floor - flu. Once my whole family went to dcg brother's bd and came down with a horrible flu on Halloween. It went through my entire daycare and at least 6 other families I heard of. Last month I pinched my sciatic nerve and literally could not move.
Jupadia 08:18 AM 12-21-2018
Yep, I've worked threw a couple stomachs bugs. Most times I felt slightly unwell in am, but by afternoon I've wanted to roll into a ball. I'll throw on the tv and skip a few things with the kids.
I've had my mil cover as well a couple times. But in 6 years only had to close once, but then i was in the hospital being told my water had broken at 25 weeks. It ended up being fine (blood vessel broken only) snd I was back open on the Monday. (Closed on the Friday before).
But I know there will end up being a day I close at some point when I get sick.
littlefriends 09:49 AM 12-21-2018
I was in the hospital with a kidney infection/sepsis for 10 days and got out on a Saturday and was doing daycare on Monday. I was terrified the families would all ditch me if I took any time off since I’d been in the hospital so long.
I only closed from my own illness one other time because I had a really painful eye infection.
Ac114 09:52 AM 12-21-2018
I had shingles and mastitis at the same time last year. I worked through it feeling like death until I went to urgent care that evening and found out I had shingles. Thankfully that was a Thursday night and I was able to close Friday to rest and get meds in me. My kiddos were all out earlier that week so I thought that I just caught what they had.
Unregistered 10:29 AM 12-21-2018
Yep!! Woke up with a terrible stomach on a Tues..went to bed as soon as the kids left..I was sooo cold...kept trying antacids and ginger ale all nite..didn't sleep from the pain (side note: I.have RA and have a very high tolerance for pain...as I have it every day) woke wed..almost passed out in the shower..my.parents came...until my husband could leave work...8.hrs. later I was having an emergency appendectomy..my DH covered thurs..and I was back to work Friday.
kendallina 11:44 AM 12-21-2018
Nope. I've worked through some nasty sinus infections but never vomiting/flu/strep.
Ariana 11:49 AM 12-21-2018
I have worked with diarrhea but not vomitting or anything else serious. I don’t get sick very often but have taken two days for a flu this year.

Right now I have a fever but it is my last day so am going to finish it out since my husband is home to help me out.
storybookending 11:58 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:

That being said I have one child today, the youngest one. He’s 15 months and he’s always been so easy so I’m going to be on my couch watching TV while he plays in an adjacent room and not even feel bad about it at all. Dad is on standby if I take a turn towards the worst and can leave work if need be but figured he’s already been exposed.. which honestly is true. As long as I don’t move around too much I think I’ll be fine. I haven’t tried to eat yet and still have no appetite. My mom is bringing me a Sprite
I have failed, called for pick up at 11AM. Really did think I could do it as I felt better this morning. Still haven’t eaten but just the smells of diapers and lunch were enough for me to give the rest of the day a big NOPE.
e.j. 03:13 PM 12-21-2018
If I know I'm sick with something like strep or the stomach bug, I will close so I don't pass it on to anyone but I have worked when I was sick with both before realizing I had it. (Woke up with a sore throat and thought it was the start of a cold or woke up feeling "off" before the nausea and dizziness really started to set in.) In both cases, I closed the next day.

I did intentionally work with a likely case of bronchitis this week. It started last Thursday night. By Sunday, I was still coughing quite a bit. Despite some very sore ribs, I felt okay otherwise. Since some of my dc kids and their parents have been sick with stomach bugs or unexplained fevers the past couple of weeks and I have parents who have mentioned they can't afford to take any more time off from work right now, I let them know what my symptoms were and left it up to parents to decide whether to bring their kids or not.
e.j. 03:16 PM 12-21-2018
I have failed, called for pick up at 11AM. Really did think I could do it as I felt better this morning. Still haven’t eaten but just the smells of diapers and lunch were enough for me to give the rest of the day a big NOPE.
I hope you feel better soon. As I worked this week, I kept reminding myself that at least I didn't have the stomach bug that seems to be going around.
Jdy2222 07:35 PM 12-21-2018
I don't work through vomiting but I'll do my best with a wicked cold.
storybookending 06:09 AM 12-22-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I hope you feel better soon. As I worked this week, I kept reminding myself that at least I didn't have the stomach bug that seems to be going around.
I slept for almost 13 hours last night and am feeling better and maybe even adventurous enough to eat some actual food today. All I had yesterday was 9 crackers and a bottle of sprite
e.j. 09:56 AM 12-22-2018
I slept for almost 13 hours last night and am feeling better and maybe even adventurous enough to eat some actual food today. All I had yesterday was 9 crackers and a bottle of sprite
Glad you're feeling better. If given a choice, I think I'd rather be sick with almost anything else other than the stomach bug!
CeriBear 03:59 AM 12-23-2018
I’ve never worked through a stomach bug or influenza but I have worked through bronchitis and sinus infections.
MomBoss 05:44 AM 12-28-2018
I had the stomach bug when I made the OP. The last time I threw up was 4am. I didnt throw up during daycare but 2 kids ended up being sick shortly after dropping off and sent home. At least I didnt have to worry about catching it, since I already had it lol.
BumbleBee 07:01 AM 12-28-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Not just a cold ..but like strep, vomiting, flu..type stuff?
I've worked when having bronchitis, pnuemonia (secondary to a chest cold), ear infections and sinus infections.

I have worked while having diarrhea and minimal vomiting but given my intestinal issues I often don't know if it's an illness or a flare up in my intestines.

I did not work when I had ecoli (typed as EPEC strain, so one of the mild ones but it took me down due to the underlying intestinal issues resulting in mild septicemia) or norovirus. With the ecoli I worked a week before landing in the ER with septicemia because I thought it was a flare up.

I tend to wait it out if I puke or have diarrhea because I struggle with determining if it's a flare up or an illness.
Tags:sick provider, working while sick
Reply Up