Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Your Family Is Sick-Cancelling Care Too Much
Miss Lindsey 08:42 AM 09-01-2011
My son got sick at his first day of preschool ...and I called parents to pick up kids. He seemed fine, never got sick again, so I had care again the next day. He hasnt eaten almost anything for 2 days now, so I feel like I need to take him to the dr or at least focus more on his drinking and healing from whatever this is. With 4 kids, there is no way for him to rest, and very little nurturing available from Mommy. Cancelled care again today. I am off on Fridays anywau, so we habe the weekend to get better. My concern is that I habe 2 other kids that have been exposed, and could fall ill at any time...including myself. If its strep or a cold, I ususally just isolate them and check on them periodically. With a pukey bug, I am cleaning, and trying to watch out for dehydration, so I usually cancel. But I am already getting a bit of flack from my parents about not being available.

I just dont know what else to do. I feel like my kids come first, but I also understand the hassle it is for my parents to make other arrangements. Am I out of line for cancelling when my kids are ill, or do I just need to do what I gotta do and hope the parents figure out how to deal?
laundrymom 09:17 AM 09-01-2011
I isolated my kids. 4 of them. I've closed unexpectedly 5 times in 24 years. 3 illness. 1 nephew born @ 24 weeks, 1 thought I was in labor. I think parents need to be able to count on care. If I canceled that often I'm sure it would effect enrollment.
Zoe 09:19 AM 09-01-2011
When my own kids are sick I have them go into their rooms for the day. If it's something contagious, I give the parents a heads-up but stay open. They understand that their child may be exposed and if they get sick then they will have to stay home. But like I said, my kids are separated from the group completely and I take care of the sickies as well as the daycare kids.
mom2many 09:43 AM 09-01-2011
When my 3 kids were little and got sick, I would just isolate them in their rooms and care for them, while staying open. I couldn't afford to close my doors and was afraid of losing clients if I wasn't dependable.

I would always give the parents the heads up and let them know I had a sickie home with me, but as long as they were isolated, everyone was always fine with it. Fortunately my kids were pretty healthy, so I don't remember it being a big deal. I also had my husband take them to the Dr. if that was necessary, so that enabled me to stay open too.

I can totally understand why you would want to close in order to care for your own little guy while he is sick... especially since he is so young. That is a tough situation to be in. You just have to decide what is best for you and your family and find a balance with what's best for your business too.
daycare 09:44 AM 09-01-2011
the thing that you have to realize is that kids are contagious before they even show signs of being sick. There really is no sure way to stop exposure of germs among the kids. I have been open 8 years and I have never closed for an illness. I think you need to turn the tables and think about what you would expect if you were a working parent with thier child in a DC. Would you be able to call of work right away? Would you be able to afford taking a day off and how would it affect your job? If you did have alternate care, how much would you have to pay someone and could you afford that?

I think if you were to close to much that you would have issues keeping kids.

Like every business there are pros and cons and one of the cons of doing home daycare is that your children will get sick from others in the DC and you will still have to reamin open.

I would not close unless it was something really really bad ...

Sorry you little one is sick and I hope that they get better soon.
Sunshine44 09:52 AM 09-01-2011
I agree that you should stay open unless it is something really bad. If my daughter was vomitting, I may close because I'm not sure I could handle her throwing up that much and having to clean it/deal with daycare kids. But anything else, I'm open.
Christian Mother 09:57 AM 09-01-2011
My son was sick quiet a bit the first 2 yrs with bronchitis and colds but when he got tubs he hasn't been sick in 6 yrs. Every once in a while a slight cough but nothing for me to take a day off for. The same goes for my 4 yr old daughter she's never been extremely ill like doctor call or ER to take a day. I've been lucky i guess. Most of my kids here are healthy. I have one little guy who has a low immune system and get sick pretty quickly if he's contagious his parents have to follow my phb and keep him home for 24 hrs or until he's fever free for 24 hrs. I try to be flexible with illnesses as much as I can but it's hard to take care of a sick child yours or theirs when you have other children in your care. I guess it depends on whether you are able to spit your time and not get over whelmed while watching your little one while he's sick and the other daycare kids.
JenNJ 09:58 AM 09-01-2011
I think you are closing WAY too much Don't be shocked if parents pull their kids this time or the next time this happens. They (understandably) do not want to use their sick/vacation time for YOUR sick child.

I have closed only twice for illness in 4 years. Once bc I had a terrible GI bug and literally texted parents from the toilet. Once because my daughter had surgery and she unexpectedly needed to spend time in the ICU.

For colds, flus, stomach bugs, etc. I do not even alert my dc parents. I separate my child to the living room or their bedroom depending on the illness (daycare has its own area), sanitize everything, and move on. Kids don't need as much doting as moms think they do when they are ill. Kids need fluids, food, and LOTS of rest. My days are actually easier when my kids are ill They sleep for 8+ hours, lol.

I would think long and hard before closing for something like this again.
AnneCordelia 10:12 AM 09-01-2011
I also stay open when my own kids are sick.
Sunshine44 10:13 AM 09-01-2011
I agree with JenNJ! I have not closed in the three years I've been doing this (knock on wood), but I would if I really had to.

I would agree that my kids are easier when sick (usually). I think put them in bed, bring a tv to the room and you are good to go.
mismatchedsocks 10:30 AM 09-01-2011
I dont ever close for sickness, even if I were sick I would leave it up to the parents to decide to bring or not. i think we are all prone to catch what the kids have and vice versa, even if i were to send home when someone threw up, the germ is still there and was there before he threw up.

In 11 years, I had a baby on Saturday, was open on Monday, father died on friday, opened on monday, and daughter was in hospital for 2 days, didnt close but called to tell the families and they all decided to keep kids so both my daughters dad and I can be in hospital. I think closing too much would be a huge red flag for me.

however i hope your little one gets better soon!
iheartkids 10:37 AM 09-01-2011
(knock on wood) I haven't ran into this problem yet but I have thought about it. If my kids are sick with something pretty contagious (beyond the common cold) then I will inform the parents of the illness and let them choose what they would like to do. Even if a couple decided not to come and a couple decided to take the risk it would relieve a little extra time so I could care for my child during daycare hours. That way it makes both "kinds" of parents happy (the ones who are very paranoid about germs and the ones that are not so concerned and would like to get to work).
daycare 11:09 AM 09-01-2011
What I have done in the past as well is if someone has come down with the ful or something like this I will send an email/text or post a letter saying your child was exposed to another child in care that is ill with the __________.

This way I leave it up to them if they want to bring their child or not... I am not going to close every time me or my kids get sick...
Miss Lindsey 01:39 PM 09-01-2011
Ok. Think maybe I need to clarify. My son is only 4. He still can't figure out to get to the toilet or the bucket if need be, and is extremely clingy when he is ill. If I sent him to his room, he'd be terribly sad, thinking he was in trouble for being sick...which when he is sick, again, he's clingy and wants mommy. My older two are 9 and 7. I can isolate them a bit better.

Also, only 1 of my parents don't have good back up. One has a work at home dad, who is never opposed to watching the baby. The other one has 3-4 back up babysitters (who are stay at home moms), that can take over. And the 3rd has grandparents who LOVE the opportunity to watch their granddaughter, just don't want to do it full time. So, all of them were extremely understanding, and had an easy way to provide alternative care. The only other one, just doesn't have an easy back up sitter. She has family that can take a day off work, but needs to know before 5pm the day before.

I was not concerned about the germ part of things. I was more concerned with my son who has eaten nothing for 2 days, barely staying hydrated because he just doesn't feel like drinking, and hasn't moved from the couch in over 24 hours now. I've NEVER seen a bug like this, so I am unsure as to what to expect each day, but when he's acting SO ill, I don't feel like he can just be sent to his room and left while I tend to 3 other kids.

I don't intend on closing every time one of my kids is ill. This was an isolated incident, and I guess I'm just not used to the hard-core, work no matter what mentality. To me, that seems like the down side of choosing to use an in-home daycare rather than a daycare facility. The Facility is open no matter what.

Thanks for the input...it puts it into perspective a bit more.
spud912 02:01 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
Ok. Think maybe I need to clarify. My son is only 4. He still can't figure out to get to the toilet or the bucket if need be, and is extremely clingy when he is ill. If I sent him to his room, he'd be terribly sad, thinking he was in trouble for being sick...which when he is sick, again, he's clingy and wants mommy. My older two are 9 and 7. I can isolate them a bit better.

Also, only 1 of my parents don't have good back up. One has a work at home dad, who is never opposed to watching the baby. The other one has 3-4 back up babysitters (who are stay at home moms), that can take over. And the 3rd has grandparents who LOVE the opportunity to watch their granddaughter, just don't want to do it full time. So, all of them were extremely understanding, and had an easy way to provide alternative care. The only other one, just doesn't have an easy back up sitter. She has family that can take a day off work, but needs to know before 5pm the day before.

I was not concerned about the germ part of things. I was more concerned with my son who has eaten nothing for 2 days, barely staying hydrated because he just doesn't feel like drinking, and hasn't moved from the couch in over 24 hours now. I've NEVER seen a bug like this, so I am unsure as to what to expect each day, but when he's acting SO ill, I don't feel like he can just be sent to his room and left while I tend to 3 other kids.

I don't intend on closing every time one of my kids is ill. This was an isolated incident, and I guess I'm just not used to the hard-core, work no matter what mentality. To me, that seems like the down side of choosing to use an in-home daycare rather than a daycare facility. The Facility is open no matter what.

I wouldn't feel bad for closing. I've closed twice in one year for my own children's illnesses. I guess my thinking is why am I so strict on parents to keep their kids home when they are ill, yet my children are ok to be around dc kids? I want my dc parents to respect my policies so I give respect back and try to minimize the exposure. My children are both under the age of 3 and I cannot isolate them.

I have to admit, though, I do specifically choose families who have flexible jobs and/or back-up care. I never close for pre-planned appointments (my mom is the back-up in that case). I also have been looking for a back-up child care facility in the event I do have to close.
Crazy8 05:28 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I think you are closing WAY too much Don't be shocked if parents pull their kids this time or the next time this happens. They (understandably) do not want to use their sick/vacation time for YOUR sick child.

I have closed only twice for illness in 4 years. Once bc I had a terrible GI bug and literally texted parents from the toilet. Once because my daughter had surgery and she unexpectedly needed to spend time in the ICU.

For colds, flus, stomach bugs, etc. I do not even alert my dc parents. I separate my child to the living room or their bedroom depending on the illness (daycare has its own area), sanitize everything, and move on. Kids don't need as much doting as moms think they do when they are ill. Kids need fluids, food, and LOTS of rest. My days are actually easier when my kids are ill They sleep for 8+ hours, lol.

I would think long and hard before closing for something like this again.
Same here. I RARELY ever close, never for my kids being sick. Only time I did this year was when my dad had a heart attack at 2am and I ran to the hospital and even then I texted parents and could have been home by 7am if any of them really had a problem - they all told me not to worry about it. In 10 years I've probably closed 5 times for emergency situations. If my child's school called I would have a neighbor or my husband pick them up. I would not have all parents come pick up their kids - I can see them being upset with that.
Unregistered 05:51 PM 09-01-2011
Oh...no...no...no MY family comes first! If my son were ever sick like that and needed his mommy I would close! When I am sick and can't push myself to do regular activities...I close! The day my daycare comes before my family or my own needs...I QUIT!!! PERIOD!!
Sunshine44 07:33 PM 09-01-2011
Not trying to be mean, but if he is THAT sick you should take him to the doc/ER/hospital. Seriously. And again, not trying to be mean, but how can he not make it in a bucket or toilet? My child was under 3 and could vomit in a bucket or toilet. I know all cannot, but is there a reason he can't?

It sounds like you baby him a lot and that could be part of your problem. Sounds like you WANT to close and be able to have "One to one" care of your child.
blessedmess8 09:22 PM 09-01-2011
I recently had a parent question me on closing when my kids are sick (which RARELY happens!) Saying they can't afford to take off work when my kids are sick and theirs. This was because of an incident a couple of months ago where my 2 year old woke up at 4am with a 104.8 temp and vomiiting profusely. I cancelled care at 5am. Like I said, this rarely happens - only for something major where I know I can't take care of other kids. But, I sent out an e-mail about sick policies as a reminder (have had parents sending sick kids) and telling all my parents I would be getting stricter with my policies as cold/flu season is coming up, so I got a reply complaining about me closing. This is what I told them:
I have NEVER let a job come before my kids. My kids are my priority. And the same goes for this job. I told them that everyone has to call in to work from time to time and I am no exception! I also told them that if it is causing them such a hardship at work then, as much as I hate to lose them, maybe home daycare isn't the right fit for them. It states in my policies, upon enrollment, that there may be emergency situations or illnesses I have to close for.
I don't close for illness often. The majority of the time I let parents make their own decision and I don't charge if they choose to keep their child home necause my own is sick. I, too, have a small fry who can't fend for herself. No chance of isolation. The majority of my parents are very understanding. There is always that one or two who's job is priority and they vcan barely take off for their own child being ill.
Bottom line: There has to be a balance. I refuse to put my kids behind a job or other people's children, but I know I can't close too often, either. I am usually quite accomodating with my parents so the conmplaining parent backtracked very quickly when I let them know they were welcome to find a center that better fit their needs with no hard feelings on my part! People should know, coming in, that a small family child care home is run by one person and sometimes we just do what we have to do! Life happens!!
boysx5 04:14 AM 09-02-2011
I never cancel for my kids being sick mine are a bit older so its eaiser now but in 16 years I never have dh usually takes the time off to take them to the dr. so I can stay open I feel the parents need care and its just part of the job to be here
nannyde 04:51 AM 09-02-2011
My son is eleven and I have done child care his whole life. I have never cancelled day care because of his illness. He had a very rocky first couple of years but with the help of family and my staff assistant, I was able to stay open even with three surgeries (two ear and tonsellectomy) and the recovery.

I spent many nights in the ER until four a.m. and came back to receive my first kid at five a.m.. It was really hard but I did not want to miss work.
Jewels 05:16 AM 09-02-2011
At 4 years old, I would think that he would know he were sick and needed to rest, not that he was being punished, I dont isolate my kid to his room, and he is 4, but I put him on the couch downstairs with movies, and dont let the other kids down there...but I've never closed when either of my children are sick, uness they were in need of the Dr ASAP, the only time I have closed was when I myself had the 24 hr bug, and was puking and puking, and that bug had run through the whole daycare, including my own children, so the parents understood that one, as everyone was puking. There are downfalls in every job, and yes this job lets you stay home with your children, but its also a job, and an extrememly hard one, and I think it is one of those jobs you have to be able to work through bad situations, unlike working outside the home, and being able to call in sick, and drop your kid off at daycare, but its very easy I think to have lazy days doing childcare, if my son were really sick and needed more TLC, I would take it easier that day, make sure everyones needs were being met, but have the TV on...but really at 4 yrs old, I wouldn't think he'd need you to carry him around all day.
JenNJ 05:50 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh...no...no...no MY family comes first! If my son were ever sick like that and needed his mommy I would close! When I am sick and can't push myself to do regular activities...I close! The day my daycare comes before my family or my own needs...I QUIT!!! PERIOD!!
I think the implication that anyone here puts work above their family is rude and presumptuous. Most of us started in this line of work to spend additional time with our children. The fact is that I could probably find a reason to close once a week. Between my two children, my husband, myself, and our families someone always needs me.

Part of this job is learning to balance our families needs with that of our business. I aim to run my business in a professional manner. I expect businesses to be open on regular business days so I extend the same courtesy to my clients. That doesn't make me a bad mom. It makes me great at my job and affords my children a lifestyle that they couldn't have otherwise. So, in my mind, it makes me a great mom

You (OP) can run your business however you choose. But know that you choosing to close multiple days in a short amount of time (no matter what the reason) will cause resentment from clients and they WILL seek for a new daycare situation. So you need to look at the big picture -- is taking a few days off worth it? Everyone will answer that question differently.
blessedmess8 06:05 AM 09-02-2011
I think this is a classic case of: "To each their own." I know that in doing this job, I have to miss class parties, field trip, and my husband and mom have had to take over most of the Dr. Visits, etc. I realize I can't take off work like I used to when I had an "out of the home" job. Buuuut, I refuse to let this take over my whole life. If I felt like I could NEVER close to clean up my own child's massive puke fest or take off for a surgery, then I'd probably have to re-evaluate my choice of profession. But, that's just MY opinion. I'm not saying those people who decide to never ever close are wrong and I'm right. That just wouldn't work for me. Luckily, we can usually pick which kids we keep and which are a good fit for each of our individual ways of running our businesses. Miss Lindsey, I completely understand your stance. I would definitely choose wisely about when you close, and I think you'll find most of your parents to be very uderstanding. My daughter, at 4, could make it to the toilet every time. My son, who is almost 8, still usually doesn't! Every child is different and has different needs. We, as child development people, should know that.( And, shame on all of you for judging her son's development in regards to puking.) I've yet to see "ability to puke in a bowl" on the Denvers or LAP testing. ANYWAY, I would be up front when you enroll people and outline exactly how you run your business and maybe try to only enroll people who have a back-up option for care. That way everyone's needs are met.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Part of this job is learning to balance our families needs with that of our business. I aim to run my business in a professional manner. I expect businesses to be open on regular business days so I extend the same courtesy to my clients. That doesn't make me a bad mom. It makes me great at my job and affords my children a lifestyle that they couldn't have otherwise. So, in my mind, it makes me a great mom

You (OP) can run your business however you choose. But know that you choosing to close multiple days in a short amount of time (no matter what the reason) will cause resentment from clients and they WILL seek for a new daycare situation. So you need to look at the big picture -- is taking a few days off worth it? Everyone will answer that question differently.
Yes, this. Each of us can run our business however we want but bottom line in this scenario is the OP has stated that her daycare parents are starting to give her flack for closing. I get that you want to put your child first and do the best you can by him but you also have to figure out a way to balance work and family life.

Is there a grand parent, father, aunt, uncle, cousin, neighbor or adult friend who can come and be at your daycare for the sole purpose of caring for your son while he is isolated from your daycare kids? You require your parents to have some sort of back up but IMHO, shouldn't you as well?

We diss parents all the time for wanting their child to have "special" but yet as providers we get defensive when people start giving us grief for doing special for our own. Makes no sense to me.

I raised my own children during the last two decades while doing child care services. I have closed due to illness in my family once in that time period. We also had mono, 3 surgeries (one injury and one non-injury), multiple ear infections, physical therapy, strept, flu, appendicitis and the list goes on and on. I did like Nannyde said, I was sometimes at the hospital until morning right before daycare opened and worked days on end with no sleep.

I did what I needed to do to keep my daycare parents happy and what was necessary to mother my children all the while making sure that delicate balance was there. Daycare is one of those jobs that you have to have that skill or it really isn't going to work.
JaydensMommy 07:19 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:

I think you did the right thing and I think its ridiculous for people to come on here and tell you that you baby your child too much. Seriously? It's your child and your not asking advice on how to raise him. I have a four year old also and have been through something like this with him, it's horrible! He was threw up like 10 times throughout the day and there was nothing I could do. At FOUR my son could not get to the toilet to vomit on his own. I had to run and take him there. I was not doing daycare at that time so I of course took time off work to be with him. Had I been doing daycare I would have closed or my husband would have taken time off work. Family comes first. Your baby needs you, your dcps should be more understanding.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I think you did the right thing and I think its ridiculous for people to come on here and tell you that you baby your child too much. Seriously? It's your child and your not asking advice on how to raise him. I have a four year old also and have been through something like this with him, it's horrible! He was threw up like 10 times throughout the day and there was nothing I could do. At FOUR my son could not get to the toilet to vomit on his own. I had to run and take him there. I was not doing daycare at that time so I of course took time off work to be with him. Had I been doing daycare I would have closed or my husband would have taken time off work. Family comes first. Your baby needs you, your dcps should be more understanding.
Why do her daycare parents need to be more understanding? It isn't their problem that her child is sick.

Most providers don't give that same courtesy to the daycare families. This entire forum is full of providers who say "Tough, I don't care why this parent is doing this or that, this is MY business and yadda yadda yadda" but yet when it comes to our own, we have a completely different set of rules.

We cannot have it both ways. I am not saying you do, but the OP asked if she was closing to much...which I think she is and needs to find an alternate way to have both her business and the ability to care for her child.

If this post was made by a parent about her 4 year old not being able to sort of self-care, almost every provider on here would be all over that parent for babying their child!!

As child care providers we sure seem to have a lot of opinions on how others should raise their children but yet we don't want the same in return....
bice99 07:35 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
Not trying to be mean, but if he is THAT sick you should take him to the doc/ER/hospital. Seriously. And again, not trying to be mean, but how can he not make it in a bucket or toilet? My child was under 3 and could vomit in a bucket or toilet. I know all cannot, but is there a reason he can't?

It sounds like you baby him a lot and that could be part of your problem. Sounds like you WANT to close and be able to have "One to one" care of your child.
Some little ones run away from the bucket/toilet when they are going to puke.
bice99 07:36 AM 09-02-2011
Exactly. My girls come first. I only close if someone is puking. But if it's another nasty bug, I always let my families know that _____ is staying home from school b/c of _____. I'm still open so I get paid but often they will choose to keep their kids home, especially babies.
JaydensMommy 08:40 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why do her daycare parents need to be more understanding? It isn't their problem that her child is sick.

Most providers don't give that same courtesy to the daycare families. This entire forum is full of providers who say "Tough, I don't care why this parent is doing this or that, this is MY business and yadda yadda yadda" but yet when it comes to our own, we have a completely different set of rules.

We cannot have it both ways. I am not saying you do, but the OP asked if she was closing to much...which I think she is and needs to find an alternate way to have both her business and the ability to care for her child.

If this post was made by a parent about her 4 year old not being able to sort of self-care, almost every provider on here would be all over that parent for babying their child!!

As child care providers we sure seem to have a lot of opinions on how others should raise their children but yet we don't want the same in return....
Yes, she asked if she was closing too much. I think she had a good reason for closing so I do not think she was wrong in doing that. You may see it differently, I was just telling her what I thought. I have a son that age and I would close if he was vomiting like that. No, I don't think closing for every little illness is ok. And, I do not have the attitude of the parents need to deal with it. But thinking about my dcp's, I know they would be understanding of a situation like that.
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
Yes, she asked if she was closing too much. I think she had a good reason for closing so I do not think she was wrong in doing that. You may see it differently, I was just telling her what I thought. I have a son that age and I would close if he was vomiting like that. No, I don't think closing for every little illness is ok. And, I do not have the attitude of the parents need to deal with it. But thinking about my dcp's, I know they would be understanding of a situation like that.
I wasn't trying to be argumentative so I apologize if I did come off that way, but OP did say her daycare parens were starting to be upset and she herself gave the impression that she kind of felt she could maybe be closing too much. Atleast, that is how I read the context of her post.

I think she may have had a good reason to close too, however, I think she should have looked at some alternatives first and closed as a last resort. Yes, if he is vomiting like that I would truly understand the closing but in that case she may have closed previously then for a less urgent situation that may be the cause of why her parens are giving her grief now.

My dcp's would have been understand as well, but I also think that has to do with the fact that I am pretty good at deciding whether or not a situation is dire or not so they know I have a darned good reason for closing and if I had no other alternative, only then would I close.
JaydensMommy 09:08 AM 09-02-2011
I agree, I would first make sure that there were no other options. Luckily my husband is able to take off work easily if my son were to get sick and I also have my mother nearby who could help. So I would use those options before choosing to close.
blessedmess8 11:38 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I see your point, but for the record, I would never expect a parent of one of my 4 year olds to leave them in a room alone while they are sick and puking. So, I can back up my defense of her not leaving her's alone. I would hope that my DCPs would take off and take the poor thing to the Dr.

I think the majority of us are in agreement, aside from you die-hards who could have your legs amputated and return to work the next day. (Just a little humor, there! Ha) Balance is key! Don't close too often and your parents will generally be understanding about the rare occassion when you have to close. Well, except for those parents who won't even call in to work for their own kids being sick and try to bring them to us so they don't have to take off! They aren't as understanding. So. Don't take off for a case of the sniffles or minor things, and you should be okay to close up shop for the occassional Puke-a-paloosa!
Sunshine44 11:58 AM 09-02-2011
From the post, it seems like the parents ARE upset she is closing so much. If you want parents to be reliable in paying you, then you need to be reliable with caring for their children.

I do understand puking and sick children is hard! And not all kids can make it to the toilet, but some can.

"I was not concerned about the germ part of things. I was more concerned with my son who has eaten nothing for 2 days, barely staying hydrated because he just doesn't feel like drinking, and hasn't moved from the couch in over 24 hours now. I've NEVER seen a bug like this, so I am unsure as to what to expect each day, but when he's acting SO ill, I don't feel like he can just be sent to his room and left while I tend to 3 other kids. "

That quote tells me he is really sick and if you are worried about him being dehydrated then you should take him to the doc/ER. I know your childs health comes before your job, we all get that, but at some point you have to take action. If your child is truly THAT sick, you should see a doc.

And in my opinion, she wants us to say yes it is ok to close...the parents should just say ok and go with it. I don't feel that way. You can choose to close, yes, I probably would myself, BUT they do have a reason to be upset.

I feel she wants us to say yes, close! And when we don't, she gives us all these reasons. If you already know what you are going to do and that you did the right then, then why come ask for opinions and get upset when people do not have the same one as you??

I really get the vibe that she wants to close and will use any excuse to close because her son is sick. Why do I get that? Because every time someone gives advice, there is another excuse as to why it will not work.
youretooloud 12:36 PM 09-02-2011
I never closed with my own kids sick. I never closed actually.

Two years ago, there was a really bad flu going around. (not the pukey kind) and 90% of the kids were dropping like flies, but still being medicated and brought over with the "it's teething" excuse. So, finally, on a Wed, I told everybody I was closing for the rest of the week (monday was a Holiday) and I hoped everybody would stay home and get well before starting the following Tuesday. I did that mostly because I was mad at the parents.

But, it seemed to work, not all of them came back for a week because this flu lasted almost two weeks, but it gave me a chance to unwind, and clean.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 09-03-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
I see your point, but for the record, I would never expect a parent of one of my 4 year olds to leave them in a room alone while they are sick and puking. So, I can back up my defense of her not leaving her's alone. I would hope that my DCPs would take off and take the poor thing to the Dr.

I think the majority of us are in agreement, aside from you die-hards who could have your legs amputated and return to work the next day. (Just a little humor, there! Ha) Balance is key! Don't close too often and your parents will generally be understanding about the rare occassion when you have to close. Well, except for those parents who won't even call in to work for their own kids being sick and try to bring them to us so they don't have to take off! They aren't as understanding. So. Don't take off for a case of the sniffles or minor things, and you should be okay to close up shop for the occassional Puke-a-paloosa!
See and heres the judging on the parents, Do you not think that most parents would love to call into work everytime their child is sick and stay home instead of having to go into work for the day, I remember when I had my son in daycare, I did stay home with him whenever I could but there were days when I was really scared to call in again, And I got no help from my husband(who wanted to help) but his work full of all men, always said to people that called in, that you can easily be replaced, and staying home with the children while sick was the Womans job, Now I am not saying when theres a fever, or puking, but when its just a bad cold, I do not expect my parents to take off of work everytime, I have parents in big jobs, and I know they would much rather be home laying on the couch with their sick kids watching TV all day, catching up on housework, instead of spending the whole day at work, but its not always worth the thought of getting fired...I have never judged one of my parents for sending their kid here with a bad cold, As long as their is no fever, these things are contagious for like 7 days anyways, and contagious before you even know it. I'm not saying there arent times that warrant a parent staying home, their most certainly is...but it just seems like no one ever tries to see the other side of the picture, like my husbands work for instance, and his work is rediculous, but there it is, and he makes good money, so what do ya do..
blessedmess8 01:27 PM 09-03-2011
See and heres the judging on the parents, Do you not think that most parents would love to call into work everytime their child is sick and stay home instead of having to go into work for the day, I remember when I had my son in daycare, I did stay home with him whenever I could but there were days when I was really scared to call in again, And I got no help from my husband(who wanted to help) but his work full of all men, always said to people that called in, that you can easily be replaced, and staying home with the children while sick was the Womans job, Now I am not saying when theres a fever, or puking, but when its just a bad cold, I do not expect my parents to take off of work everytime, I have parents in big jobs, and I know they would much rather be home laying on the couch with their sick kids watching TV all day, catching up on housework, instead of spending the whole day at work, but its not always worth the thought of getting fired...I have never judged one of my parents for sending their kid here with a bad cold, As long as their is no fever, these things are contagious for like 7 days anyways, and contagious before you even know it. I'm not saying there arent times that warrant a parent staying home, their most certainly is...but it just seems like no one ever tries to see the other side of the picture, like my husbands work for instance, and his work is rediculous, but there it is, and he makes good money, so what do ya do..
Oh, good night! I've BEEN on the other side of the picture! I've had to send my kids to daycare with a bad cold or ear infection. It sucks. I said "the FEW" parents. Because let's just face it, there are SOME who would rather be at work than at home with their sick kid. So, am I going to "judge" you for sending your child (who has needed to go to the Dr for 2 weeks, and you took vacation days to go shopping and left the kid with me instead) to me to deal with along with 6 other kids? Yup! There's a difference in parents who are trying and parents who don't want to deal with their responsibilities. I don't think she's talking about closing for a cold. The kid is puking everywhere and lethargic. We'd expect parents to call in and take care of their kids for that. That's what she's doing! Calling in to stay home with her sick kid. Everyonee has to do it now and then - even hom child care providers!
Tags:sick - always, sick days
Reply Up