Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Men Here?
icaredaycare 12:44 PM 02-09-2012
Hey all, I have been reading this forum for about a week now, and i'm so glad I found it. I was just curious, how many men are on this forum? I was reluctant at first to register, because i didn't want to feel like an odd ball as the only man who owns an in-home daycare.

I already tried to do a search, but nothing came up.

anyway...hello, and thanks for letting me join!
Michael 12:58 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

Really just me. I own Daycare.com

Dave use to come and Ken that posts about Google apps. Mostly woman here. 99.99%
Heidi 01:04 PM 02-09-2012
Yeah, we havent seen Dave lately...

Welcome to the forum! There aren't a lot of men in the field, but you are certainly welcome to join in here!
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome! There may not be many men on the forum but many of us have husbands as helpers and assistants so you are not alone! '

I love hearing a male perspective in a female dominant field....
icaredaycare 01:12 PM 02-09-2012
wow, i figured there would only be a handful of men here, but i didn't want to make any assumptions. I'm the only man in most of the providers meeting here in PA as well, so i'm used to it. Michael, this is a great forum, congrats on the success.

thank you bbo!
icaredaycare 01:13 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome! There may not be many men on the forum but many of us have husbands as helpers and assistants so you are not alone! '

I love hearing a male perspective in a female dominant field....
thank you blackcat. As i have said before, I read the forum before joining, and ur name comes up quite a bit. you are very helpful, and i'm glad I finally get to share my experiences on here and chat it up with you.
Cat Herder 01:21 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome to the forum!!
Checkinkids.com 01:24 PM 02-09-2012
I'm a guy and I'm here. My wife posts with this account sometimes though and she owns a daycare. I used to run it with her for the first year. Then I lost all my hair and went back to computer programming!
godiva83 01:25 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome to the forum.

Sadly, there aren't many men in this profession, but there needs to be.
Michael 01:32 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Checkinkids.com:
I'm a guy and I'm here. My wife posts with this account sometimes though and she owns a daycare. I used to run it with her for the first year. Then I lost all my hair and went back to computer programming!
and I thought I was all alone. haha
icaredaycare 01:34 PM 02-09-2012
Thank you! I will introduce myself briefly, so I won't be such a stranger to the community.

I was an electrician apprentice for many years in my youth. It was the great pay in this field that paid my way through college. However, my college degree was far from what anyone expected from me. I decided to graduate in elementary education because I always had a heart for working with children.

However, after graduation, it was not easy to get a job. I went back into the electrician field for the money.

It wasn't until I met a wonderful woman and her wonderful son that I got out of my funk, and decided to use my degree (that I paid so much for) again. Instead of teaching in a school system this time, I decided to do my research on In home Daycares.

After 4 yrs of successfully running my business I am now married, and I have adopted her son as my own.

Thanks for reading, and i'm glad to have found this forum. Wish i found it sooner!
icaredaycare 01:35 PM 02-09-2012
lol. i haven't lost my hair yet...but my hairs are all grey!
Michael 01:41 PM 02-09-2012
computer programming? My son love's programming. Since 9 he has been going to book stores and only wants computer programming books. I wish I could find the interest in it to get into his world but I just don't find it as interesting as he does. He lives for programming. I told him he owns the keys to the future.
littlemissmuffet 03:32 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome to the forum!

My husband is my assistant, he doesn't post here... but you're not alone
beachgrl 04:07 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome to the forum, my husband would love for me to be busy enough that he could quit his current job and be able to do second shift care or just help me out but that is not in the cards yet as business is slow around here for me.

He is in school for computer engineering and on his last semester and thought he wanted to be a programmer but he hasn't had the best instructors and what he is really interested in is doing the graphics for computer games/etc, the digital design aspect of it more than the programming. He wants to get his foot in the door somewhere but will most likely have to teach himself quite a bit about it after he gets out of school since his degree is just a basic overview of all things computer related.

Wow Michael, that he does..programming is where it is at and if someone can program, they can make good money doing it! He will have a nice job waiting on him with that kind of love for something.
Michael 04:09 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Wow Michael, that he does..programming is where it is at and if someone can program, they can make good money doing it! He will have a nice job waiting on him with that kind of love for something.
Thanks, he is now in his 1st year of College. JPL is looking at offering him a job. He is a 4.0 and way smarter then me.
Countrygal 05:20 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome, Icaredaycare! It'll be great to hear the male side of things more often! Temper some of our female emotions running all over the board!
SilverSabre25 07:16 PM 02-09-2012
Welcome to the board! My DH helps me a lot and enjoys hearing about some of the crazy stuff that gets posted here, although he never posts.
melskids 04:37 AM 02-10-2012
Welcome to the boards!

My husband, although he loves all of these kids, avoids this house like the plague.

He usually strolls in as the last kiddo leaves, and I'm starting to think he plans it that way.
icaredaycare 05:56 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Welcome to the boards!

My husband, although he loves all of these kids, avoids this house like the plague.

He usually strolls in as the last kiddo leaves, and I'm starting to think he plans it that way.
wow...same here! my wife normally walks in before the last kid leaves...and i'm starting to think she plans it that way as well. lol
countrymom 06:09 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
computer programming? My son love's programming. Since 9 he has been going to book stores and only wants computer programming books. I wish I could find the interest in it to get into his world but I just don't find it as interesting as he does. He lives for programming. I told him he owns the keys to the future.
my ds is 9 too and we call him the "computer junkie or computer freak" he has gone as far as making his own app for the ipod. What kind of books are there, my ds would love it. He tells me that he's going to work for nintendo one day and build their software. He's scary sometimes because he knows so much about computers.
MrsB 06:12 AM 02-10-2012
My hubby is in the military and works full time but is my substitute when I need him. This is not his dream job, like it is mine, but the kids ABSOLUTELY, love him. I think its because he is all play all the time and no rules. While with me we play alot but always within the rules! LOL. After all these years I am surprised his knees are still holding up after all the times he has crawled around on the floor with kids jumping and hanging on him. I think it has been good for him to gain an appreciation for all that goes into this job. In 4 more years he will retire from the military and he has mentioned us opening up something bigger with us being partners. It will be a little less pressure financially cause he will have his military retirement and insurance, but I am not sure I could have a co-boss! LOL. Welcome!
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
my ds is 9 too and we call him the "computer junkie or computer freak" he has gone as far as making his own app for the ipod. What kind of books are there, my ds would love it. He tells me that he's going to work for nintendo one day and build their software. He's scary sometimes because he knows so much about computers.
My son tells me all the time that there are two kinds of people in the world: Those that can read binary code and those that can't.

Thankfully, mine can. I also believe it is the key to the future.
beachgrl 09:32 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My son tells me all the time that there are two kinds of people in the world: Those that can read binary code and those that can't.

Thankfully, mine can. I also believe it is the key to the future.
Love it! My hubbys dream is to work in video game design or do his own apps so he is working toward that!
icaredaycare 09:38 AM 02-10-2012
mrsb. thanks for the welcome!

blackcat, ur son sounds so smart! u are so lucky! my son is 7. all he likes to do is play video games and dance. not sure what kind of future he has with those 2 talents, but ill support him in anyway. lol. well..except for the video games...he's only allowed to play during the weekends.
dave4him 10:02 AM 02-10-2012
I dont know where my post went, but i am still here. Just not posting too much as ive been pretty busy trying to start my daycare up. glad im not the only guy here too
icaredaycare 10:23 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
I dont know where my post went, but i am still here. Just not posting too much as ive been pretty busy trying to start my daycare up. glad im not the only guy here too
hi dave

this is a great forum. wish i joined sooner.
Sugar Magnolia 10:32 AM 02-10-2012
My husband works full time with me at our center :-)
karen 10:33 AM 02-10-2012
Welcome icaredaycare!
I could seriously use a guy assistant right now as for some crazy reason I have ended up with all BOYS! 6 of them everyday!!!!
TGPII 09:33 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by icaredaycare:
Hey all, I have been reading this forum for about a week now, and i'm so glad I found it. I was just curious, how many men are on this forum? I was reluctant at first to register, because i didn't want to feel like an odd ball as the only man who owns an in-home daycare.

I already tried to do a search, but nothing came up.

anyway...hello, and thanks for letting me join!
Originally Posted by karen:
Welcome icaredaycare!
I could seriously use a guy assistant right now as for some crazy reason I have ended up with all BOYS! 6 of them everyday!!!!
I am male. I have worked with some poor male and female teachers. I have all the same state/local requirements as everyone else. We all put our pants on the same.
My3cents 11:13 AM 04-13-2012
There are some good summer camps devoted to computer programming. My boys both went back at that age and loved it- look around.
My3cents 11:17 AM 04-13-2012
Thanks, he is now in his 1st year of College. JPL is looking at offering him a job. He is a 4.0 and way smarter then me.
Michael, lol.......should have read on first. Sounds like your son is beyond summer camp

Welcome to the Forum!
Meeko 11:52 AM 04-13-2012
Welcome! My husband was my assistant for years and now my son is! I think we need MORE men in home day care. So many of the kids nowadays do not have a good male role model in their lives. We look forward to you input!
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:17 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Welcome to the boards!

I swear mine does too.
Recie 02:24 PM 04-13-2012
Welcome!!!

My husband actually talked me into opening a daycare im in school for my CDA! I plan on him being my full-time assistant after a while so he'll be able to quit his job. I hope parents will respond well to a male being very active with the children.
Checkinkids.com 05:45 AM 04-14-2012
Wow -I bet your son is a tech master. I didn't start programming till towards the end of college(when I realized it would pay much better than being a musician or working at a record label - ha), but I can definitely see how it becomes something that people identify themselves with. Most really good IT guys I know consider themselves "programmers" as a person, not just a job.
themoorethemerrier 09:12 AM 04-16-2012
I'm the forum face here, but my hubs is my FT assistant.

I'm the silly and fun nurturer and he's the creative yet serious adventurer.

I wish you well!!!
Tags:men in daycare, pennsylvania
Reply Up