Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Age Do You Expect A Child To Listen?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:22 AM 04-04-2012
At what age to you expect a daycare child to really listen? For example if you tell them to do something and the continue to do the opposite, when do you expect this type of behavior to end? I know for some children it never ends, but I was just curious at what age you all really expect this skill to really kick in and expect them to listen and know better. Thanks.
nannyde 04:51 AM 04-04-2012
about 18 months
godiva83 05:31 AM 04-04-2012
In between 16 - 20 months. It depends a lot on the child and expectations at home. My DS was able to follow easy one step directions by 1 and by 18 months he knew the rules and what was expected because we were very very consistent.
cheerfuldom 06:47 AM 04-04-2012
I expect a child that is crawling to at least recognize simple phrases like "no touch"....as for full on instructions, it should be by the time they are full on walking so yes, about 18 months, maybe a tad earlier for some kids.
GretasLittleFriends 06:49 AM 04-04-2012
My dd will be 2 the end of this month and she listens and follows 1 and 2 step directions. My ds who is 7.5 listens, but if you give him more than 2 step directions to follow he gets side tracked very easily. LOL

I expect dc kids to listen and follow 1 step directions by about 18 months. I have one who just turned 1 and will listen. You tell him no, or not to do something he will stop and do something else. As far as following directions (ie - put something away or pick something up) I say he is only about 40%.
JenNJ 07:23 AM 04-04-2012
Most kids understand one word commands by the age of 12 months. By 15 months, they get 2 word commands. By 18 months they should be able to understand and follow them. I have a 15 month old here who stops immediately when told no. I find this to be the average age here.
spud912 07:26 AM 04-04-2012
My 16 month olds both follow 1 step directions. It depends on the child, but I would say between one and two years old.
MizzCheryl 09:27 AM 04-04-2012
Some at 14 months or younger. Some at 20months. Depends on the child.
A few never learned
jenn 10:14 AM 04-04-2012
Between 12-18 months, I do a lot of training. I will tell them to do something (like pick up), and then keep redirecting/encouraging/modeling. By 18 months they are capable of following at least one step directions. Some are not willing, but they are capable.
MrsB 10:47 AM 04-04-2012
18 months is about the age here where they can make the right decision "on their own" most of the time.

As far as consequences go I have no problem excluding an 18month old from an activity if they can't follow age appropriate expectations. Depending on the situation, I have the thinking chair or a separate area to do their thing until they decide to follow the rules of the activity.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:58 AM 04-10-2012
Thank you everyone! The input really helps. I have a 3 year old daycare boy who will repeativly touch things I tell him not to over and over again, or do things I tell him not to over and over again, as if he doesn't hear me (although I know he does). I thought maybe this was too young to really get it but now I know it's not. He ignores me all the time when I tell him not to do something. I'll have to work on him, I just took him in about a month ago.
TBird 10:14 AM 04-10-2012
My 2 cents....18 months. And God forbid you listen to me by accident before that...TOO LATE!!!
familyschoolcare 10:23 AM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Thank you everyone! The input really helps. I have a 3 year old daycare boy who will repeativly touch things I tell him not to over and over again, or do things I tell him not to over and over again, as if he doesn't hear me (although I know he does). I thought maybe this was too young to really get it but now I know it's not. He ignores me all the time when I tell him not to do something. I'll have to work on him, I just took him in about a month ago.
Be sure to have the child give you his eyes (look directly at you) before talking to him. Make the child repeat the instructions that will help you know %100 for sure the child heard and understood. My own children are 13, 15, 17, 18 and three of them will not always hear me. One of them will repeat or mirror the instructions incorectly about %90 of the time the first time. Not sure if this information helps or not just please keep in mind that while most children realy listen at 18 months old some children find that to be a very difficult task.
Reply Up