Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Client Past Due/Letter
PitterPatter 08:15 AM 03-29-2014
Hey gang sorry I haven't posted much been busy. I was hoping to find some ideas for a nice letter to a client that wont pay. Sad situation for me because I love the kids, they love me, but DCM is ignoring me for whatever reason. She is a month past due on payments. She stopped bringing the kids 2 weeks ago with excuses but said she had the money and would stop by. This went on for a week. Now suddenly she wont reply at all. I tried calling its not going right to voice mail so I know shes ignoring the calls, texts ignored, Facebook messages ignored yet I caught her posting a couple times.

She is always late but usually only a week or so. My mistake is I never fined her because we had a good relationship, so I thought, but she does dodge me when pay is due. Anyway I dont know what the deal is they have never been out this long and been avoided this long. I have had the kids for 2 years so I dont want to be demanding and tick her off but she needs to pay me. I even left a message that I really needed the money which I have never done, still ignored. The kids are in school everyday and talk to my other school kid so all seems fine. I was mad but now just hurt that she would totally disrespect me and avoid me THIS long! What can I send her in the mail? Would sending it certified make her mad? If I get her signature she cant say she didnt get messages, so unsure of things at this point.
Laurel 08:37 AM 03-29-2014
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Hey gang sorry I haven't posted much been busy. I was hoping to find some ideas for a nice letter to a client that wont pay. Sad situation for me because I love the kids, they love me, but DCM is ignoring me for whatever reason. She is a month past due on payments. She stopped bringing the kids 2 weeks ago with excuses but said she had the money and would stop by. This went on for a week. Now suddenly she wont reply at all. I tried calling its not going right to voice mail so I know shes ignoring the calls, texts ignored, Facebook messages ignored yet I caught her posting a couple times.

She is always late but usually only a week or so. My mistake is I never fined her because we had a good relationship, so I thought, but she does dodge me when pay is due. Anyway I dont know what the deal is they have never been out this long and been avoided this long. I have had the kids for 2 years so I dont want to be demanding and tick her off but she needs to pay me. I even left a message that I really needed the money which I have never done, still ignored. The kids are in school everyday and talk to my other school kid so all seems fine. I was mad but now just hurt that she would totally disrespect me and avoid me THIS long! What can I send her in the mail? Would sending it certified make her mad? If I get her signature she cant say she didnt get messages, so unsure of things at this point.
My guess is that you will never get it unless you take her to court.

I used to always collect on the Friday following care until something like this happened to me. I had this mom for 4 years and 2 of her children. She paid like clockwork for 4 years. Never had to ask her for it once. She 'was' a great client.

She got in a financial bind and I tried to get it short of going to court (cause I had to have her address to serve her I think and she had moved).

I had to chalk the loss up to my own failure to get the money BEFORE care is given and not accept child if payment isn't made upfront. An expensive lesson!

I don't get why you would be worried about being nice to her. She skipped out on you. I'd always be professional and was in my case. Even called her at her work where she HAD to answer the phone. Just promises to pay but no money.

I suppose you could send her a certified Demand for Payment letter. Hopefully she hasn't moved. If you are taking her to court I'd suggest doing it soon in case she moves and you can't find her.

Laurel
MotherNature 09:24 AM 03-29-2014
Who cares if it makes her mad??? She is avoiding you and being dsrespectful. She has stolen from you a month's wages. Threaten small claims, send it certified and be done enabling her.
KiddieCahoots 11:09 AM 03-29-2014
Been there, done that!

Try sending a letter to the client first with all the fees they will incur if court action is required. Court filling fee, certified delivery of the County Sheriff, all past recorded late fees, past recorded early arrival fees, fees for out of pocket expenses, example; lost days of pay to attend court. Add anything and everything that your hb backs up.
Usually.....when the client sees all the added fees, they pay you quickly on what they owe, to end the process.

If not, and you need to follow through with small claims court, this will document that you have made an attempt to collect dues, which the court will recommend you add all these fees anyway.

I now require a Registration fee. That pays for 2 weeks in advance, (that some parents make payment on). I look at it as a rent type fee....first and last week of care. And collect payment the Friday before services are rendered. Late payment entitles me to charge a fee of $10. a day til payment is made, if it runs into the following week, I will not care for their child until that payment is made, with the added $10. a day fees.

Good Luck!
Crazy8 11:48 AM 03-29-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Who cares if it makes her mad??? She is avoiding you and being dsrespectful. She has stolen from you a month's wages. Threaten small claims, send it certified and be done enabling her.
EXACTLY. Even now you are worried about making her mad??? Do you think she plans on ever bringing the kids back? I wouldn't expect that and I wouldn't take them back no matter how much I care for them. Stand up for yourself. Send her a certified letter stating the amount due and attach a late fee (assuming there is one in your contract). Give her a deadline and let her know the claim will be going to court if payment is not received by that date. Make it professional and very to the point. Do not get personal or emotional.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:44 AM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
EXACTLY. Even now you are worried about making her mad??? Do you think she plans on ever bringing the kids back? I wouldn't expect that and I wouldn't take them back no matter how much I care for them. Stand up for yourself. Send her a certified letter stating the amount due and attach a late fee (assuming there is one in your contract). Give her a deadline and let her know the claim will be going to court if payment is not received by that date. Make it professional and very to the point. Do not get personal or emotional.
This. Most likely sending a bill via certified letter is enough to remind her that you are a BUSINESS. If you had a contract with her, be sure to include a copy of that as well. Let us know how it turns out!
snbauser 09:51 AM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
This. If she is ignoring you, then she has no intention of bringing the kids back or paying you. You need to stand up for yourself and not worry about her being mad. Be professional but firm. Send her a certified letter. Tell her that after numerous requests for payment, here are the facts. Tell her to pay you by a certain date or she will leave you no choice but to file a claim and here are all the fees she will be responsible for if she forces you to do that.
taylorw1210 11:19 AM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
This. If she is ignoring you, then she has no intention of bringing the kids back or paying you. You need to stand up for yourself and not worry about her being mad. Be professional but firm. Send her a certified letter. Tell her that after numerous requests for payment, here are the facts. Tell her to pay you by a certain date or she will leave you no choice but to file a claim and here are all the fees she will be responsible for if she forces you to do that.
I totally agree. Sometimes it's hard to stand up for ourselves when we've let someone walk all over us for quite some time, but you owe it to yourself!
Reply Up