Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Overnight Child Care Center Ideas!
missy 02:00 PM 10-05-2013
Ohhhh, I am learning so much from these forums!

I have set my mind on a "niche" center, one that is after hours and overnight. Any of you creative ladies and gents want to take a stab at it and give me some ideas to keep me sane and avoiding total chaos? Lol.

I would like to have a room set up just for bedtime since routine and comfort is so important for little ones. So they could all have their own beds and such.

Any thoughts on nightly/evening themes and such? Any tips/thoughts in general that would make the experience something kids will enjoy? I think this will be fun:-)
Starburst 02:37 PM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by missy:
Ohhhh, I am learning so much from these forums!

I have set my mind on a "niche" center, one that is after hours and overnight. Any of you creative ladies and gents want to take a stab at it and give me some ideas to keep me sane and avoiding total chaos? Lol.
Set rules and be consistent- set bedtimes (may be different for every age group and keep it the same time even on weekends), set TV/screen time limits (too much tv or light exposure before bed time can make it hard for them to sleep), make sure to have bed time routines (maybe a story for children 7 and under; older kids maybe able to read to themselves or to younger children)

I would like to have a room set up just for bedtime since routine and comfort is so important for little ones. So they could all have their own beds and such.

Any thoughts on nightly/evening themes and such? Any tips/thoughts in general that would make the experience something kids will enjoy? I think this will be fun:-)
I would save themes for the weekends, special nights, or more towards the early evenings because too much excitement and inconsistency (especially for younger children) can make it hard to relax enough sleep. Also remember that not all children will be interested in particular themes, and sometimes you need to be more flexible and be willing to drop some of the things you want to do and let the children have a choice in the activity.

Some theme ideas on weekends or once a month that you can try (some may work better for children 4+):
*Movie Night- Children can pick 1 or 2 Disney or other child friendly movie to watch (just don't make it a regular thing or it wont be special)

*Game Night- You can play board games, charades {or a modified version of "Whose Line"} and other child friendly games (resist the urge to let them just play video games all night)

*Craft Night- Have a variety of craft projects available for them

*Cooking Night- Look up some simple kid-friendly recipes and have them help you cook.

*Camp Night- Maybe you can set up "tents" in the house (or back yard depending on licensing regs) and get a fire pit {or fake fire with light bulb} so they can roast marshmallows or eat s'mores, camping related games or camp fire stories (nothing scary but funny or "fake scary" {look up "Ghost of the Bloody Finger"})

* Story Night- Have children pick their favorite books (maybe they can bring one from home or you can look into a mini field trip to the library) and read to all the children for about an hour or so (works better with short non-chapter books); kids can also make up their own stories or tell everyone about something interesting that happened to them (make sure you review it first to make sure it's appropriate).

* Science Night - Look up different mini science projects for kids and let them explore (rocks, bugs, animals, and plants can also fit in this category)

* Music Night- Children can explore with music and movement, maybe they can also make homemade instruments like drums or maracas or you can teach them dances for different types of music.

*Talent Night- Kids can make their own skits {or act out their favorite story} or sing/dance or show any talent that they have.

*Seasonal/Holiday Night - Depending on the beliefs of your clientele and yourself, you can do seasonal crafts and activities (making snowflake or pumpkin crafts and snacks) or maybe even holiday related activities (such as making costumes or writing letters to Santa), if you have kids on Halloween maybe you can take them trick or treating around your neighborhood or have a little Halloween party (with parental permission); just try not to cross any boundaries (some parents may see it as a family thing to go trick or treating or carve pumpkins).
Cradle2crayons 03:00 PM 10-05-2013
I do afternoon and night contracted care but I'm an in home provider, legally unlicensed in my state.

I have a separate nap area for those who use mats and I have another room for those in play pens.

We have a very consistent bedtime routine which is the same my own school age kids follow.

Everything else is the same as daytime just at different times of the day.

We do the exact same things as daytime day cares do.
Sunshine75 03:13 PM 10-05-2013
I guess it depends on when kids start. With overnight care I imagine you will be getting children who show up in their pj's ready for bed, which is nice. It will be good for you and good for the parents because overnight care is hard to find.
missy 05:45 PM 10-05-2013
Great ideas, thanks! And great theme suggestions, Starburst!

I was hoping to do only after hours, like 2pm-8am, but I just did some research online and I am skeptical that I would get many clients. Some folks talked about even with several plants and hospitals in their area, they just didn't get much interest at all in the third shift. Mainly, I think people just accommodate child care in other ways when they work after hours, like by using family and friends.

Sooooo, I think I would have to start out as a 1st and 2nd shift facility then leave the 3rd shift open for consideration or when I get clients. I personally think it would be fun to work the late shift with kids--I wouldn't have to focus as much on curriculum and could have FUN with the kids which is my favorite part of it all, kids are so much fun :-)

I tried starting a survey to find out if there is a need in my area--I posted an ad in a couple of the local newspapers that will start tomorrow. The ad directs them to a 30-second free survey so I'm hoping I get some responses.

I have run out of ideas on how to find out PRIOR to opening what the need is!
Cradle2crayons 06:35 PM 10-05-2013
Great ideas, thanks! And great theme suggestions, Starburst!

I was hoping to do only after hours, like 2pm-8am, but I just did some research online and I am skeptical that I would get many clients. Some folks talked about even with several plants and hospitals in their area, they just didn't get much interest at all in the third shift. Mainly, I think people just accommodate child care in other ways when they work after hours, like by using family and friends.

Sooooo, I think I would have to start out as a 1st and 2nd shift facility then leave the 3rd shift open for consideration or when I get clients. I personally think it would be fun to work the late shift with kids--I wouldn't have to focus as much on curriculum and could have FUN with the kids which is my favorite part of it all, kids are so much fun :-)

I tried starting a survey to find out if there is a need in my area--I posted an ad in a couple of the local newspapers that will start tomorrow. The ad directs them to a 30-second free survey so I'm hoping I get some responses.

I have run out of ideas on how to find out PRIOR to opening what the need is!
Al five of my kids (two families) are afternoon or late night shift. The moms are waitresses and the need here is HUGE becAuse no other providers or centers do it. I have a very long waiting list for afternoon times.

And voucher pays for afternoon shift also
Starburst 06:41 PM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Al five of my kids (two families) are afternoon or late night shift. The moms are waitresses and the need here is HUGE becAuse no other providers or centers do it. I have a very long waiting list for afternoon times.

And voucher pays for afternoon shift also
I was about to say that too because my mom was a waitress and a single mom, we mostly stayed with my aunt when we were young because we lived in the same house for a few years but eventually when we moved my brother and I stayed home alone because there were no night daycares (this was in the early 2000's when most school aged kids still had more life skills than computer skills ).

There are also people who work as night shift managers, security guards, cops, doctors, nurses, EMTs, truck drivers, college professors with night classes, and night school students.

And there are also parents who sometimes just need a night out (either date night or a night out with the girls/boys) that you could have as a drop in or once a week regular. The biggest reasons most marriages fall apart: when the kids come along they neglect the relationship and focus on the kids. My teachers all say that the best gifts you can give your children is for their father to love and respect their mother and vice versa (one of my teachers said "the best gift you can give your child to have a good marriage" but that isn't possible for a lot of families)
missy 06:55 PM 10-05-2013
Good points:-)
Nebula 08:09 PM 10-06-2013
I do overnight care, but on a private level> it is $40 per kid
Cradle2crayons 08:27 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Nebula:
Yes, sometimes I do overnight but it's additional and private also. It's not part of my contracted hours and I only offer it for my two current families and two previous families that used to be full time but now are drop in.

My two full time moms generally pick up no later than 1:00 am and that's only on fri and sat nights. Like tonight it's 10:30 ISh pm and they are both in the way to pick up.

My overnights are with at least a weeks notice and I also charge $40.
LoraJenkins 08:32 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Nebula:
I also offer overnight care for current families. It is double my daily rate. I have one DCG that is here overnight at least once a week. Also, one DCM is a waitress and another is a bartender so they use 2nd shift often.
Nebula 08:48 PM 10-06-2013
Oh and I should add, the $40 is not part of their tuition. It is paid at pickup, as I consider it private babysitting/nannying, which I charge premium rates for.I figure 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM is decent hours. Nights & weekends are my own, and If I am watching a child, you better believe I am going to be paid for it.
Nebula 05:37 AM 10-07-2013
Some states have specific regulations about overnight care as actual hours. I.e an official overnight center, in Texas it requires a special permit.

Now what I do, the private sitting is diff- My listed hours are 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Anything after 7 is considered off hours, and can do pretty much what I want.
Tags:night care, overnight care, themes
Reply Up