Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Should Child Return To Daycare?
Unregistered 10:11 AM 05-18-2014
I have a 19 month old daycare child who just had her Adenoids taken out and ear tubes put in on Friday. When should this child return to daycare? I think I might require a Doctors note to return. I've never had a daycare child who's had surgery before I have no clue what to do or expect.
NightOwl 10:32 AM 05-18-2014
Tubes can return the next day. That's easy peasy. Not sure about adenoids, though. My daughter was pretty sore for several days after she had hers out. But that was many years ago.
pandamom 10:40 AM 05-18-2014
One of my sons had this surgery at 2.5 years old. When DH and him came home from the hospital, he was good to go- eating, playing, talking, etc.

The surgery was on a Thursday and I took leave Thursday and Friday. Even though he probably would have been ok to go back on Friday, I wanted to give him a chance to be babied or extra time in case he needed it or there were complications.

If it were me, I'd say 1-2 days off after surgery to be on the safe side. I remember asking at the pre-op appointment and was told they would clear him to go back to daycare the next day barring complications.
Unregistered 03:45 PM 05-18-2014
Thank you for your answers. I told the mom I need a Doctors note before this child can return to daycare.

Thanks again you are all great help
Kabob 06:06 PM 05-18-2014
My son had the same done as well as a dcb. Dcb had a dr note allowing return to daycare the same day as the surgery...turns out dcm knew the dr personally so he wrote the note as a favor. So don't go by the note. I was told that ds was to stick to soft foods at first. I also was told to limit activity at first. Also have to watch out for sudden bleeding or fever. Dcb developed a low grade fever so I made him stay home 2 days so he could properly recover from surgery at home.

Basically, if the child seems lethargic, has a fever, or requires a constant dose of pain meds then they need to stay home. Surgery, however "routine" is not something that should be mixed with daycare activities, imho.
TwinKristi 06:19 PM 05-18-2014
I had a boy who had tubes on a Friday and ended up with a fever Sat-Sun-Mon and then a post-Op appt Tues so they kept him home all week just to be sure, but the plan was for him to return Monday.
sahm1225 06:23 PM 05-18-2014
My dd2 had her ear tubes and was very tired the next day. Then last month she had her tonsils and adenoids removed and recovery was horrible. She had complications and we were admitted overnight, her breathing was labored so she had to get oxygen, she refused to eat or drink. Once we got discharged, I had to log her wet diapers for a week before she was back to normal. She was very cranky, tired, difficulty w eating, and just a plain mess for almost 16 days. Her discharge papers said one week no childcare/school.

My ds (now 6) had his tonsil & adenoids removed when he was 3. Difficult recovery too. He was tired and had problems with wanting foods but couldn't eat them because he was sore. His back to normal was about 5 days.

I had a dcb that had his tonsils & adenoids out on a Thursday and he was back at daycare Monday w no issues at all.
I had another Dcb with ear tubes put in on Thursday and I had him at daycare by Monday (mom took Friday off to stay w him, but she said he was totally fine).

I'm sure you can call the hospital and ask for general
Information about when they can return to care.
sahm1225 06:25 PM 05-18-2014
This website says 7-10 days

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...key=260&page=7

But most of the ones I found are generic and say possibly in 2-3 days. There's usually a set of instructions about diet & pain managent
itlw8 07:14 PM 05-18-2014
If they need soft food an stay quiet they need to stay home because I am not set up for that. IF I only had one or two kids maybe but We are too active.

Recently heard of a case where the child started hemorrhaging from tonsils I assume the child was not quiet or eating a soft diet.

Special care means home for me.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 05-19-2014
I would not accept the child back into care until they are back to their normal activities. Including eating a regular diet.

My nephew had his adenoids removed and after 3 days ended up back in the hospital because his scabs fell off and he started bleeding profusely.

NOT something I would want to deal with at daycare while caring for others.

I think most Drs require a follow up visit so personally I would wait until that follow up visit was completed so I knew there was less risk involved.
Reply Up