Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD- Dropped Off a Sick Kid
spedmommy4 10:37 AM 06-30-2015
Dcm knowingly dropped off dcb sick with diarrhea. She can't be reached. (Ignoring me I think) All listed emergency contacts are an hour away.

What would you do?
NoMoreJuice! 10:39 AM 06-30-2015
Do you know where mom works? I'd call there. If not, call every emergency contact until someone agrees to come get dck. Then have all dck's stuff in a bag by the door (aka terminate immediately!).

That's a horrible display of disrespect dcm is showing you!
mamamanda 10:40 AM 06-30-2015
I'd call one of the emergency contacts to pick up anyway & charge her for the time it takes them to get there. I recently changed my policy to say anything longer than 30 minutes to pick up a sick kid gets late fees per advice I received on this forum.
childcaremom 10:42 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Do you know where mom works? I'd call there. If not, call every emergency contact until someone agrees to come get dck. Then have all dck's stuff in a bag by the door (aka terminate immediately!).

That's a horrible display of disrespect dcm is showing you!

daycarediva 10:49 AM 06-30-2015
How do you know she did it intentionally?

-call her office..main desk, have her paged. Tell them the situation -daycare, sick kid, can't reach Mom.
-call her emergency contacts and have one pick up. Charge late fees if your contract is set up for that (mine is $1/m after 30m from initial contact).
-terminate effective immediately

The one time I did not terminate for this, I regretted it.
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
How do you know she did it intentionally?

-call her office..main desk, have her paged. Tell them the situation -daycare, sick kid, can't reach Mom.
-call her emergency contacts and have one pick up. Charge late fees if your contract is set up for that (mine is $1/m after 30m from initial contact).
-terminate effective immediately

The one time I did not terminate for this, I regretted it.

Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Dcm knowingly dropped off dcb sick with diarrhea. She can't be reached. (Ignoring me I think) All listed emergency contacts are an hour away.

What would you do?
What would I do?

I'd exhaust every effort to reach her or a family member, even if that meant calling mom or dad's place of employment. I'd also send a text or leave a voice mail for the parent that they are terminated immediately and that if they do not pick up their child within 60 minutes (more if you are metro) or you are calling CPS and reporting an abandoned child.

Like Diva said, this kind of thing can come back to bite you so I do NOT mess around when it comes to illness and blatant disregard for my policies.

Add in the mother being unreachable and I'd be livid.
spedmommy4 12:10 PM 06-30-2015
To respond to a previous poster, I believe it was intentional because the child's stools were soft yesterday and she only sent pull ups as a back up today. She also dropped off super late and ran out quickly without saying a word to me. 30 minutes after drop off, dcb3 had a massive diarrhea accident. It was a mess.

She works in sales so she doesn't have a desk phone. She didn't respond to texts for over an hour. Dcd responded right away but he is out of state. Between dcd and I, it took 2 hours to get dcm to pick up. I was livid but in the middle of cooking lunch for 8 kids when she finally arrived. She was in and out the door in a hurry.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:13 PM 06-30-2015
If you plan to keep watching the kid, I would let her know dcb is not allowed back for 48 hours and if you are unable to reach her again in the future, or if she drops off dcb sick again, she will be termed.
Thriftylady 12:14 PM 06-30-2015
I would be typing up a notice of some sort to keep this from happening again.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
To respond to a previous poster, I believe it was intentional because the child's stools were soft yesterday and she only sent pull ups as a back up today. She also dropped off super late and ran out quickly without saying a word to me. 30 minutes after drop off, dcb3 had a massive diarrhea accident. It was a mess.

She works in sales so she doesn't have a desk phone. She didn't respond to texts for over an hour. Dcd responded right away but he is out of state. Between dcd and I, it took 2 hours to get dcm to pick up. I was livid but in the middle of cooking lunch for 8 kids when she finally arrived. She was in and out the door in a hurry.
I would call her and let her know that she is immediately terminated.

It's pretty obvious from her "sneaky" actions that this was intentional or at the very least something she was aware of.

Sorry you had to deal with that.
childcaremom 01:37 PM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would call her and let her know that she is immediately terminated.

It's pretty obvious from her "sneaky" actions that this was intentional or at the very least something she was aware of.

Sorry you had to deal with that.

Personally, I would term also because you couldn't reach her. If her contacts are that far away, she should always be reachable. Or at the very least, be able to provide you with contacts who are nearby.
AmyKidsCo 01:40 PM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

Personally, I would term also because you couldn't reach her. If her contacts are that far away, she should always be reachable. Or at the very least, be able to provide you with contacts who are nearby.

What if her child had been seriously injured? We need to be able to reach parents at all times, or have emergency contacts close enough to help if there is an emergency.
Reply Up