Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop-Off Procedure: What Do You Do?
DeeDee 01:09 AM 01-21-2020
Me and my family just recently purchased a home to run my daycare business. Previously I was running my in-home daycare out of my apartment the second floor unit.

Our old place was on a one way street and parking in the area was difficult, so I would go down to get the kids and help parents with multiple kids get the children out of the car. One of my DCP only has one child, and I would unbuckle him from his carseat and carry him upstairs.

So my question is to providers who have been running your business from your home: What is your drop-off procedure? Do you go outside to get kids, do you help families with 2 children get the kids inside or have them bring the children inside themselves, Do you take kids out of carseats? Do you meet parents at the door, or leave it open and have them come in, etc...

The DCP with only one DCC I feel has come to expect me to get her son from the car. Because even on the days there was parking she would be sitting in the car waiting for me to come take her child out instead of taking him out.

Also the last few years my age group has mostly been infants - 2 yrs old, and because of the lifting upstairs and back down I have been having some shoulder pain. It has been mild, but was aggravated during the move-in process (not completely finished yet).

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Gemma 02:40 AM 01-21-2020
I do not go outside to help parents bringing in their kids, they manage just fine on their own just as they would do when they go shopping.

I would send out a "policy change" note, and restructure your drop off/pick up procedure.
Cat Herder 04:00 AM 01-21-2020
Parents bring their children to the front door, sign them in and then I take the children back to the playroom.
rosieteddy 05:04 AM 01-21-2020
Parents always brought children in to coat area.I would let them know new home new rules.You should stay with the children already there.
Snowmom 05:58 AM 01-21-2020
Eeks no, I never ever ever touch a car seat. That's a huge liability. That's a parental job to secure (and unsecure) their child in their car. I also don't allow them inside for the same reason.

Congrats on buying a home. I would do what's easiest for you. Keeping in mind that you will need to supervise all the children at every arrival, the easiest way to do that is to have them come in, parents help children take off coats and shoes, a quick goodbye and leave. This is pretty standard procedure for in homes.
Ariana 08:19 AM 01-21-2020
Parents ring the bell with their kids in tow, I answer the door, parents undress their kids and hang up their stuff then leave.

I would let them know about the new procedure!
Msdunny 09:31 AM 01-21-2020
My parents bring their kids in, and most help them start their beginning of the day duties (take off shoes, take off coats, etc.). The kids can do these things by themselves, so usually the parents remind them of what to do and head out. I'm right there, so they don't have to do anything really but give hugs and kisses goodbye! Occasionally, if we are already outside playing, I will meet the parent in the driveway simply to avoid them opening the gate.
sunshst 08:45 PM 01-21-2020
This!
"Parents always brought children in to coat area.I would let them know new home new rules.You should stay with the children already there."

-I do this too, day in and day out.
Unregistered 07:23 AM 01-22-2020
Kids come to my door. That's pretty standard like everyone is saying. I would just like to add that you need to change your policy asap because the longer you keep doing this in the new home the more they will question why you're changing the policy. They need to see that the reason you helped them in the first place was the that you had inadequate parking but that is no longer the case. Also congrats on buying!!!
flying_babyb 10:15 AM 01-26-2020
Parents walk them in (if they have multiples, they learn to deal, though If I see them comming and CAN help I will). They take off the kids things and hang them up. We talk breifly about the kids night then we sing the parent out.
"Bye bye mom, Bye bye mom, bye bye mom, we will see you later" Then we sing the kid in "Hello___, Hello___, Hello___. Were so glad your here" And sometime "Mommy will be back, mommy will be back, She loves that a fact, mommy will be back"
And most days my kids run to the window to sing the Bye bye song to the parents car color (red car, blue car)

Oh and no car seats or bags. Bed bugs, listening devices, ect.
DeeDee 07:04 AM 02-29-2020
Hi everyone, just wanted to say thank you all for your helpful responses. My computer was giving me trouble so I wasn't able to reply back to you all.

Update: I sent out a note to all my DCP's about the policy change, and also texted them the same thing just in case any of my notes got lost. Almost all of my DCP's accepted the policy and gave no push back.

However the DCM I mentioned previously who sits in the car did the same thing the next day. So I called DCM while she was sitting in the car and asked her to bring DCB to the door. Her tone sounded annoyed and mad but she did bring him to the door. Then I just let her know I sent out policy notices and that she must not have received them, and proceeded to tell her in person.

DCM didn't say anything she just signed the sign in sheet and left. After that day dad has been doing drop-off and pick-ups, he's always dropped off and picked up at the door.

Thank you all again!! This forum is a Godsent
DeeDee 07:07 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I do not go outside to help parents bringing in their kids, they manage just fine on their own just as they would do when they go shopping.

I would send out a "policy change" note, and restructure your drop off/pick up procedure.
Your absolutely right they do manage when I'm not around, so it's no different. Thank you
DeeDee 07:23 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Parents always brought children in to coat area.I would let them know new home new rules.You should stay with the children already there.
This was also one of my concerns, leaving the other children to go outside. Definitely new house new rules!!!
Unregistered 07:33 PM 02-29-2020
Question: did all the kids go down with you when you picked up more kids? That would be a lot of stop what you're doing, shoes on, possibly a coat, etc.
Tags:bye bye outside, drop off issues, drop off policy, drop-off rules, supervision
Reply Up