Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool Teachers
MsMe 12:56 PM 10-06-2011
I would like to know more about teaching preschool.

I have been looking into starting as a preschool assistant.

I have my CDA and nearly 8 years HDC experiance. I have about 12 credit hours of ECE and would like to cont on to my BA.

I am looking to move on from my HDC to a center or community based preschool program (Church (faith)based preschool is not an option.) The area I am moving to has around 50+ preschools. Is my experiance and CDA enough to qualify me for this position?

There is also an ad out for an Assistan Director of a center and CDA is listed as desired education. What would this posotiopn include?

Are there any A. preschool teachers here? Can you tell me a little about your job?
kendallina 05:05 PM 10-06-2011
I've been a preschool teacher and director in a classroom and now run a preschool out of my home.

The duties of a preschool teacher can vary WIDELY depending on what company/school/organization you're working for. Also every state has different regulations about what qualifications you need to be a preschool teacher. In most areas that I'm aware of, having a CDA plus HDC experience would qualify you to be an assistant teacher, or possibly a teacher or director. I've worked for some companies, though, that you need a bachelors at least to be a teacher. I would go on craiglist or careerbuilder and look at the listings just to see what the qualifications and starting pay are for your area.

The same goes for an Assistant Director. At a smaller preschool, an AD probably spends some time in the classroom and some time in the office or doing other duties. In very large centers, an Assistant Director may not be in the classroom at all. ADs might do anything from enrolling parents, staff schedules, dealing with staff issues, assisting with hiring of staff, cooking, cleaning, etc.

One thing that was a deal breaker for me (and why I'm SO happy to not be working in a center anymore) was the ratio and number of students in a class. Most places that I have worked have 18-24 3-5 year olds in one room with 2-3 teachers. The ratio isn't horrible, but the class size (in my opinion) is very difficult to work with and can be very chaotic. I've moved to a new area and I know the preschools here only have about 12 kids per room with 2 teachers, which I think it much much better. So, that may be something to consider when you're looking as well.

Good luck!!
MsMe 05:34 PM 10-06-2011
Thank you so much for your advice.

I have searched on Craigslist and many list CDA as desired. At this time I have no desire to be a lead preschool teacher. I may in a few years want to move up so I will cont to work on schooling.

I am not really interested in working as a provider in a Center setting. I do home daycare bc I don't agree with many parts of center care. I would consider a job in a preschool classroom associated with a center as long as it was only classes and not care based.

Thank you again!!
cheerfuldom 05:53 PM 10-06-2011
Definitely do your research on the particular preschool. They do vary a lot with many of them care based (especially since some will take kids as young as 18 months). My friend worked at one in my town that had as many as 30 kids under 4 in one class, sometimes there was one aide, sometimes not! I have noticed a lot of the "preschools"in my area are really not that different than daycare and do not require much training with the teachers. Many will take college freshmen as aides. the nicer ones are attached to the university system, private schools or large churches.
MsMe 06:03 PM 10-06-2011
great advice! I have only visited two preschools. They are both attached to my communities Christian school system. Thay were really great programs and I fell in love....but they are not an option for me to work in.

I will for sure keep in mind to ask questions about class size and the age of sudents!!
Tags:assistant, preschool
Reply Up