Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Other Employment
Crystal 08:14 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
My son is gone from 8:30am until 4:00pm monday through friday. I do not have the time to do any of that with my son until I'm off the clock at 5:15pm! I work almost a 10 hour day and still find time to do fun stuff with my child after hours...and ps I don't get my laundry done during the day...that waits until the weekend or my cleaning lady takes care of it for me! And the school can not provide water play for my son...that was the whole point of the post she was quoting on...there fore it is unfair to state that it is up to providers to do the same!
Oh, wow. I didn't realize it was such a long school day. That sounds like school with extended day- day care attached to it.

It's nice that you can provide for cleaning service so that you can spend more time with your child as well, I don't know many parents who can afford that luxury.

Of course we ALL find fun stuff to do with our children after work hours and weekends.....even the DCP do, believe it or not......but WE have the children for the most awake hours....during the heat of the day....during the alert hours.....so, we can provide more "fun" opportunities for the kids than the parents might be able to - IF WE WANT TO AND CAN - I'm not saying it should be mandatory
Angelwings36 08:33 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Oh, wow. I didn't realize it was such a long school day. That sounds like school with extended day- day care attached to it.

It's nice that you can provide for cleaning service so that you can spend more time with your child as well, I don't know many parents who can afford that luxury.

Of course we ALL find fun stuff to do with our children after work hours and weekends.....even the DCP do, believe it or not......but WE have the children for the most awake hours....during the heat of the day....during the alert hours.....so, we can provide more "fun" opportunities for the kids than the parents might be able to - IF WE WANT TO AND CAN - I'm not saying it should be mandatory
Due to the fact that I run a daycare my son has to BUS to school...this makes for the long school hours!!!!
Cat Herder 08:36 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok.... Now the tags aren't so funny anymore...
Sorry Blackcat.... I really did not intend them to be funny.

IMHO, (and admitted by op) This thread was a nasty spin off of a long thread attacking Nan over the weekend.

I know by being hired/chosen to do the daycare.com blog Nan had a target placed on her back and she is tougher than I am... BUT it infuriates me to see people try to tear her down for trying to create a financial future for her family in blogging/consulting.

What retirement plans/goals do the rest of you ladies have going???? I am proud of the risk she is taking, it is so out of my comfort zone... I hope she makes it big. I met her here and I adore her.

I have been trying to stay out of it since I had "nothing nice to say" , but I felt the 3 tags I added summed it up nicely. Sorry if I offended anyone.

You can delete them if you feel it is appropriate.

If not I stand by them.
mom2many 08:36 PM 07-19-2011

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
I agree whole heartedly!
Blackcat31 08:44 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Sorry Blackcat.... I really did not intend them to be funny.

IMHO, (and admitted by op) This thread was a nasty spin off of a long thread attacking Nan over the weekend.

I know by being hired/chosen to do the daycare.com blog Nan had a target placed on her back and she is tougher than I am... BUT it infuriates me to see people try to tear her down for trying to create a financial future for her family in blogging/consulting.

What retirement plans/goals do the rest of you ladies have going???? I am proud of the risk she is taking, it is so out of my comfort zone... I hope she makes it big. I met here here and I adore her.
I have been trying to stay out of it since I had "noting nice to say" , but I felt the 3 tags I added summed it up nicely. Sorry if I offended anyone.
You can delete them if you feel it is appropriate.

If not I stand by them.
Cat... Not offended one bit. I did think the tags were just a funny fluke at first, then I read all the negativity and realized they (the tags) were sadly VERY appropriate!
I think they should stay as they really do speak volumes.
mom2many 09:12 PM 07-19-2011
I am brand new here, but have a HUGE question?! Why is it when someone objects to Nannyde's posts it is an "attack"? Aren't we all able to express our opinions on here???? I have been observing what others are saying on this forum for a few weeks now and IMHO, as providers, we ALL have our "own" expertise to offer. Maybe I am just overly sensitive, but I have read many of the posts on here and find Nannyde to be condescending at times and it bothers me that no one can object to her point of view w/o being considered a "mean girl". What is that all about?
Cat Herder 09:30 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I am brand new here, but have a HUGE question?! Why is it when someone objects to Nannyde's posts it is an "attack"? Aren't we all able to express our opinions on here???? I have been observing what others are saying on this forum for a few weeks now and IMHO, as providers, we ALL have our "own" expertise to offer. Maybe I am just overly sensitive, but I have read many of the posts on here and find Nannyde to be condescending at times and it bothers me that no one can object to her point of view w/o being considered a "mean girl". What is that all about?
Stick around for a while and you will understand...

It is a cycle....
Zoe 09:40 PM 07-19-2011
Wow. Kinda glad I wasn't on the forum today. There's a difference in discussions between difference of opinion and just plain attacking people. Think I might check back in a few days after everyone has calmed down and gotten back to normal.
Unregistered 12:06 AM 07-20-2011
Without getting into job descriptions here, I think it is apparent from several months of observation that our resident blogger also manages to read and post on most of the daily forums, much as a moderator would. The honor of a blog is one thing. Leader of the pack is another.

I also think its true that she is respected and successful and that her blog and opinion probably are valuable as a single perspective from a single point of view on a particular model of very basic childcare.

I have said before (also anonymously) that I don't believe her style represents the majority of caregivers or that her services would work (or be available) to the majority of children in daycare.

Nanny does espouse a popular concept of cherry picking which is also a problem in our public schools and in most aspects of child placement endeavors. If you are an upscale childcare provider, you probably don't use the word daycare, but, whatever. Daycare is what it is, and that varies widely. For what its worth, I pass a couple of well paid nannies on the patio of our local starbucks with cigarettes and coffee while the infants sleep in the strollers from time to time.

Expertise is a difficult monster. In order to know one thing very well, you must chose not to learn about others. In the child development field(s), the bottom line is the well being of the children. The truth is that very few adults really can manage children full time. Nanny's expertise is based on her experience, and that is limited by her choice to specialize. Moving on to blog and consult (and there must be more lucrative ways to blog) is a natural extension of that expertise, but in no way does it represent knowledge of all childcare needs or settings. I don't agree with most of what she suggests. I find her model too restrictive, the uniformity, as reported, of her clients unsettling, and her choice to limit her services saddening. But, its also important to strike a balance you can live with, in your own practice, for your own profession. And that's a valuable lesson I learned from Nannyde
nannyde 03:44 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Moving on to blog and consult (and there must be more lucrative ways to blog) is a natural extension of that expertise, but in no way does it represent knowledge of all childcare needs or settings.
What does THAT mean?
nannyde 06:37 AM 07-20-2011
I find her model too restrictive, the uniformity, as reported, of her clients unsettling, and her choice to limit her services saddening.
It's commonly understood that you should take clients that are a "good fit" for your program.

When I declare what is a "good fit" then it's unsettleing and limiting.

This kind of response is rooted in a fundamental belief that as women we are to just DO. We are to do as we are told. We are to do whatever it takes for the sake of the babies. We are to serve the parents. We are to say YES.

We SHOULD be able to specialize and do what we want to do with our lives and our careers. We don't have to be everything to everybody. Trying to be that and do that causes child care workers to fail and children to be under the care of miserable providers.

We get one life just like everybody else.

Can you imagine saying to a cardiac surgeon... "ya know Doc your services are limited and your client base is too restrictive."

Can you imagine saying to a special needs teacher "ya know teacher... your services are limited and your client base is too restrictive."

"Nanny's expertise is based on her experience, and that is limited by her choice to specialize."

Of course I choose to "specialize" but I can go back to doing any kind of care I choose. I can take care of families that are unstable, have unstable kids, one to one needing special needs kids, unstable schedules, short term, part time, behavior disorders, eating disorders, non paying, shift changing, late parents, "what curriculum do you have for my nine month old" parents...

I CAN do all of that but I don't want to. So yes... I "specialize" in uniformly stable families and really nice (and very cute kids.
Angelwings36 06:44 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's commonly understood that you should take clients that are a "good fit" for your program.

When I declare what is a "good fit" then it's unsettleing and limiting.

This kind of response is rooted in a fundamental belief that as women we are to just DO. We are to do as we are told. We are to do whatever it takes for the sake of the babies. We are to serve the parents. We are to say YES.

We SHOULD be able to specialize and do what we want to do with our lives and our careers. We don't have to be everything to everybody. Trying to be that and do that causes child care workers to fail and children to be under the care of miserable providers.

We get one life just like everybody else.

Can you imagine saying to a cardiac surgeon... "ya know Doc your services are limited and your client base is too restrictive."

Can you imagine saying to a special needs teacher "ya know teacher... your services are limited and your client base is too restrictive."

"Nanny's expertise is based on her experience, and that is limited by her choice to specialize."

Of course I choose to "specialize" but I can go back to doing any kind of care I choose. I can take care of families that are unstable, have unstable kids, one to one needing special needs kids, unstable schedules, short term, part time, behavior disorders, eating disorders, non paying, shift changing, late parents, "what curriculum do you have for my nine month old" parents...

I CAN do all of that but I don't want to. So yes... I "specialize" in uniformly stable families and really nice (and very cute kids.
And the reason you don't...like some others, I imagine, is because you have already been there did that lol. You more than likely learned the hard way, went through the stress of dealing with that 'kind' of clientel base and washed your hands of it. It takes EXPERIENCE to be able to build a clientel base that doesn't rub you the wrong way and cause unneeded stress in an already stressful line of business. SMART SMART WOMAN!
nannyde 06:45 AM 07-20-2011
And the reason you don't...like some others, I imagine, is because you have already been there did that lol. You more than likely learned the hard way, went through the stress of dealing with that 'kind' of clientel base and washed your hands of it. It takes EXPERIENCE to be able to build a clientel base that doesn't rub you the wrong way and cause unneeded stress in an already stressful line of business. SMART SMART WOMAN!
The LONG ............... HARD ............... WAY
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 07-20-2011
Speaking from MY own personal experiences, I have found that since I learned to "specialize" in the things I do best, there have been fewer stressful days, fewer kids in time-out or being redirected, there are fewer changes in policies and rules, fewer terminations and fewer days where I simply wish to throw in the towel and quit.

Being able to pick and choose the things I want to "specialize" in has made me a better child care provider to the families and children I serve. Being able to "specialize" has allowed me to be the best I can be. It has allowed me to no longer be in the pool of unstable, over stressed, and harried providers who are the perfect canidates for having a shaken baby or have an accidental injury happen due to being stretched to their limit.

I no longer feel obligated to be at someone else's beck and call. I have realized that I cannot physically, emotionally or mentally meet every client's needs. I cannot solely exist to simply be available to make the lives of my daycare parents easier as some providers have said they do. There are many many providers to choose from and it would seem to me that if every one of them "specialized" it would be a lot simpler for parents to find that perfect fit.

"Specializing" has allowed me to love my career choice and be in it for the long haul. It has allowed me to have a very low turnover rate, children who stay enrolled an average of 4-6 years and have a long waiting list of potential clients.

"Specializing" has made me more profitable, higher quality and most importantly, made me and my daycare parents and children happy.
Crystal 07:21 AM 07-20-2011
So, I really haven't seen any "attacks" and if those of you who are stating so are referring to me, I stated my "opinion" in a very respectful manner re. Nannyde...as I stated, I agree with some forum members that she does sometime come off sounding as "superior" yet while I may not 100% agree with her philosophy of early care and education, I can respect that she does offer quality services that meet the needs of her family, as well as the families that she works with. In case those of you who think I have "attacked" Nannyde didn't notice....she and I respectfully "talked" about things and we are fine with each other. I don't know why some of you feel the need to defend her, she is quite capable of speaking for herself, and as you know, does so often.

And, I ask, as another poster did, WHY is it that some of us cannot ever disagree with nannyde without her "followers" attacking us? We are entitled to our thoughts, opinions and beliefs, just as she is.
Crystal 07:22 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Speaking from MY own personal experiences, I have found that since I learned to "specialize" in the things I do best, there have been fewer stressful days, fewer kids in time-out or being redirected, there are fewer changes in policies and rules, fewer terminations and fewer days where I simply wish to throw in the towel and quit.

Being able to pick and choose the things I want to "specialize" in has made me a better child care provider to the families and children I serve. Being able to "specialize" has allowed me to be the best I can be. It has allowed me to no longer be in the pool of unstable, over stressed, and harried providers who are the perfect canidates for having a shaken baby or have an accidental injury happen due to being stretched to their limit.

I no longer feel obligated to be at someone else's beck and call. I have realized that I cannot physically, emotionally or mentally meet every client's needs. I cannot solely exist to simply be available to make the lives of my daycare parents easier as some providers have said they do. There are many many providers to choose from and it would seem to me that if every one of them "specialized" it would be a lot simpler for parents to find that perfect fit.

"Specializing" has allowed me to love my career choice and be in it for the long haul. It has allowed me to have a very low turnover rate, children who stay enrolled an average of 4-6 years and have a long waiting list of potential clients.

"Specializing" has made me more profitable, higher quality and most importantly, made me and my daycare parents and children happy.
I agree....we all have something we specialize in.....so long as that specialization isn't hindering us from offering well-rounded programs, then what's the problem with that?
Crystal 07:24 AM 07-20-2011

Really? Why would she have a "target" placed on her back? When has anyone tried to tear her down? I have read her blog and I have found it to be very well-written....not sure why you think anyone is trying to tear her down for writing a blog????
nannyde 07:37 AM 07-20-2011

Really? Why would she have a "target" placed on her back? When has anyone tried to tear her down? I have read her blog and I have found it to be very well-written....not sure why you think anyone is trying to tear her down for writing a blog????
Crystal

Bringing up a line off my consult site about seeking advice from internet forums and applying it to this forum was a "tear down".

Consult site: "Often times, those who answer forum request for help are not experts with experience in the field of home daycare."

You Take a look at her "consulting" site and see what she REALLY thinks about forum posters....basically Nan is an expert and all of us are not.

That wasn't a DIRECT MISSLE HIT? (laughing in a fun way not a mean way... for reals)

I don't care if you want to take a swing now and then cuz I know deep down you likey a little of Nans work... but THAT was a direct hit.

I said it before... I'll say it again. I'm your bff and you don't even know it. My prediction is there will come a day when the two of us are side by side IRL in person... maybe on opposite sides ... but side by side nonetheless.
Crystal 07:48 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Crystal

Bringing up a line off my consult site about seeking advice from internet forums and applying it to this forum was a "tear down".

Consult site: "Often times, those who answer forum request for help are not experts with experience in the field of home daycare."

You Take a look at her "consulting" site and see what she REALLY thinks about forum posters....basically Nan is an expert and all of us are not.

That wasn't a DIRECT MISSLE HIT? (laughing in a fun way not a mean way... for reals)

I don't care if you want to take a swing now and then cuz I know deep down you likey a little of Nans work... but THAT was a direct hit.
Okay...I'll take that. Perhaps that was out of line. But, I did feel that it was an insulting remark about "forum posters" and it related to the discussion about "superiority" BUT, I REALLY do like your site and I think it's AWESOME that you are consulting....especially for centers that have issues with staffing and behavior problems....I can see your service as being very valuable for them.

And yes, I do like some of your work. I wish I could do the menu you do....I wish I could find the time to find the foods, prepare the foods and then get the kids to eat it. I also like some of your techniques with families. I also agree with you about society and parenting practices today and where this next generation might be headed. I agree with you on MANY things, and disagree with you on MANY as well....but in the end, I do respect you for sticking to your guns and doing things in a way that make you happy and help you to be a good parent and provider for the families you work with....you have found your niche and I think that's a good thing.
Angelwings36 08:15 AM 07-20-2011
So, I really haven't seen any "attacks" and if those of you who are stating so are referring to me, I stated my "opinion" in a very respectful manner re. Nannyde...as I stated, I agree with some forum members that she does sometime come off sounding as "superior" yet while I may not 100% agree with her philosophy of early care and education, I can respect that she does offer quality services that meet the needs of her family, as well as the families that she works with. In case those of you who think I have "attacked" Nannyde didn't notice....she and I respectfully "talked" about things and we are fine with each other. I don't know why some of you feel the need to defend her, she is quite capable of speaking for herself, and as you know, does so often.

And, I ask, as another poster did, WHY is it that some of us cannot ever disagree with nannyde without her "followers" attacking us? We are entitled to our thoughts, opinions and beliefs, just as she is.
I believe that can be flipped both ways here. On the sprinkler thread I agreed with Nan, reason being, because I do NOT offer water play either for the reasons posted in my response to that thread. I was immediately attacked for my opinion on 'water play' and pretty much told that I strip the children from their child hood memories. It then got turned to a direct attack on me for a while because my opinion was different than someone else's. I do not think that is fair in any way whatsoever. Each person IS entitled to run their daycare in which ever way they see fit, pick their own policies and procedures and work with a clientel base that they are comfortable with. Just because someone doesn't offer a service that someone else does offer doesn't mean they are less of a daycare. I never have a problem keeping my daycare full, my children and parents happy and I don't offer 'water play' like other providers think is essential for a sucessful daycare to incorporate into their program.

I stood my ground on things when I was UNFAIRLY attacked because I stand behind my policies, procedures and program 100% regardless of how other people feel...this is still MY business and MY life!
MommyMuffin 09:25 AM 07-20-2011
No other employment for me. I am thinking about doing an online program. My brain is rotting. I am a mover and a shaker so I have to do something else during down time.
Meeko 10:05 AM 07-20-2011
I believe that can be flipped both ways here. On the sprinkler thread I agreed with Nan, reason being, because I do NOT offer water play either for the reasons posted in my response to that thread. I was immediately attacked for my opinion on 'water play' and pretty much told that I strip the children from their child hood memories. It then got turned to a direct attack on me for a while because my opinion was different than someone else's. I do not think that is fair in any way whatsoever. Each person IS entitled to run their daycare in which ever way they see fit, pick their own policies and procedures and work with a clientel base that they are comfortable with. Just because someone doesn't offer a service that someone else does offer doesn't mean they are less of a daycare. I never have a problem keeping my daycare full, my children and parents happy and I don't offer 'water play' like other providers think is essential for a sucessful daycare to incorporate into their program.

I stood my ground on things when I was UNFAIRLY attacked because I stand behind my policies, procedures and program 100% regardless of how other people feel...this is still MY business and MY life!
Well said!
daycare 11:16 AM 07-20-2011
I chose to stay out of that hot mess....lol I read some, but then it got too much for me so I stopped reading.

I agree with what Angelwings36 is saying. We all offer something different for our own reasons... I don't think it is fair to attack someone just becuase we don't agree or understand... I have been attacked on here before and it was silly.

good for you that you stood your ground!!
Cat Herder 11:47 AM 07-20-2011
So, I really haven't seen any "attacks" and if those of you who are stating so are referring to me, I stated my "opinion" in a very respectful manner re. Nannyde...as I stated, I agree with some forum members that she does sometime come off sounding as "superior" yet while I may not 100% agree with her philosophy of early care and education, I can respect that she does offer quality services that meet the needs of her family, as well as the families that she works with. In case those of you who think I have "attacked" Nannyde didn't notice....she and I respectfully "talked" about things and we are fine with each other.
Crystal, I added the tags within a few minutes of the thread being posted...LOOOOONG before you even logged in. You were not even in my thought pattern at that time.

The thread was intended to stir the pot, IMHO. If you noticed I was the first to reply then I was offline for a day.

Pot meet kettle. There is so much irony here because you were the one I (and a few other forum friends) could not stand for my first 6 months....your posts made my blood boil because they came off so superior and condescending.... I think it happens slowly after you have answered the SAME question for the 400th time in online forums. It is not really intentional....

The truth of it is that you are very intelligent, deliberate, organized and know your stuff. I get that now, after having been here for a while and have a great respect for your posts. I have something to gain from knowing your philosophy whether or not I agree with it.

We are on polar opposite sides of the spectrum (and the country)...but so are our communities/cultures. YKWIM?

There is no "Right or Wrong" really (barring cruelty/abuse, etc) and the ECE recommendations over the years are documented proof . Everytime we adapt to a new method, they change it....
Unregistered 03:58 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I have something to gain from knowing your philosophy whether or not I agree with it.
And it is one of the most valuable things a forum can provide.
Unregistered 10:10 AM 07-21-2011
I dont do day care......but in my opinion.......if you all are so high and mighty and wonderful daycare providers........what are you doing online posting long posts that obviously take time to write.....when you should be taking care of kids?
Just sayin
MommyMuffin 11:43 AM 07-21-2011
I dont do day care......but in my opinion.......if you all are so high and mighty and wonderful daycare providers........what are you doing online posting long posts that obviously take time to write.....when you should be taking care of kids?
Just sayin
All my kids are sleeping, my house is clean and snack is prepared for when they wake up...a little me time now! And I deserve it. So if I want to look at a daycare forum, then darn it I am going to.
mac60 02:44 PM 07-21-2011
Just sayin
If you don't do daycare, why don't you find something more constructive to do than to dish on people you know nothing about, including their profession. Just saying.................
Unregistered 07:21 PM 07-23-2011
because its fun watching women argue on the computer about watching kids which isnt even a real job LMAO
Meyou 02:33 AM 07-24-2011
Trolls are smelly.
Unregistered 02:53 AM 09-10-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Regarding another post where Nan and I were talking about her having other employment while doing childcare started making me wonder: how many of you do some sort of other job while doing childcare? I know alot of people have jobs like tupperware, scentsy, pampered chef.

I know Nan said the state (I hope I am quoting her right) can't have regulations on when she does her other jobs. If I don't have this right please correct me on this Nan. Our regulations say: The provider shall have no other employment, either in or out of the home, during the hours children are in care.

Do any one else have regulations like this?
Yes we have thatr reg in Arkansas. I cannot work outside home any hours children are in care. I can be gone for business related to daycare, personal business...etc
Tags:catty, jealous, second job, vindictive
1 2
Reply Up