Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>16 Month Development
Unregistered 10:24 AM 04-07-2014
I'm a member but logged out. I have a 16 month old dck that is the least physically developed child I have ever seen. Barely crawls, can hardly pull himself up. Literally sits in one spot and plays until I move him. Very happy kid, good eater and sleeper talks quite a bit. Mom and dad say he walks at home but I have a hard time believing he is so different here and there. Everything I pull him to standing or try and help him walk he starts screaming. I've casually mentioned to mom and dad but they don't seem concerned. Anyone else ever had a child this late to walk or be interested in walking? Any suggestions?
Scout 10:27 AM 04-07-2014
Ds did not walk until 19 mos! He was quite proficient at crawling, army crawling and just did not want to walk! He also talked a lot and his dr. said they can not usually master both skills at one time. Usually if they are great talkers, they delay in when they begin to walk.
Scout 10:28 AM 04-07-2014
Does he seem in pain when you pull him up though? DS has none of that-just lazy!
preschoolteacher 11:26 AM 04-07-2014
I'd be concerned that he's not crawling. He doesn't get around AT ALL? Not walking at 16 months isn't cause for concern, but not moving at all...? And parents claim he walks at home? That seems strange. Why would they lie?
cheerfuldom 02:08 PM 04-07-2014
I would not be concerned about a child not walking until 18 months. It sounds like he can crawl and can pull himself up, just doesnt do it that often. I would just have one finally discussion with the parents right when he turns 18 months and will have his checkup. Let them know that you are concerned about XYZ but until then, I would wait it out. He may start getting more mobile before then. For now, you already discussed it so the parents are aware, plus, his current behavior is not disruptive to the daycare from the sounds of it so I would leave it alone for now. My 3rd daughter did not take a single step till 17.5 months. My 4th is now 16 months and while he can walk, he still rarely does. Its not worrisome at all till about 18 months from my understanding.
gracepatiencelove 03:28 PM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a member but logged out. I have a 16 month old dck that is the least physically developed child I have ever seen. Barely crawls, can hardly pull himself up. Literally sits in one spot and plays until I move him. Very happy kid, good eater and sleeper talks quite a bit. Mom and dad say he walks at home but I have a hard time believing he is so different here and there. Everything I pull him to standing or try and help him walk he starts screaming. I've casually mentioned to mom and dad but they don't seem concerned. Anyone else ever had a child this late to walk or be interested in walking? Any suggestions?
I have a DCG same age but way less advanced. I am not really sure how to handle this as the previous provider/concurrent provider has addressed it. In the OP case I would definitely bring it up because not moving enough is worrisome.
Tags:milestones
Reply Up