Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Help DCG at Nap
jenboo 12:01 PM 06-29-2016
I have a 16 month old DCG who has been with me for a month now.
Everyday at nap, she wakes up 4- 6+ times completely hysterical to the point where she wakes up the whole house. Its all one motion- eyes open, stands up, full on hysterical fit. I have to pat her back to sleep each time. The poor child is exhausted. By pick up time, she is usually falling asleep on the floor waiting for mom.
We have made progress in other areas. For example, the first couple weeks she would scream hysterically when I would get the nap mats out. Now she gets excited and jumps right on her bed and lays down.
I thought for sure we would have made progress by now. I talked to mom. Mom said she doesn't wake up multiple times at home but when she does wake up at the end of nap she cries.

Is there anything I can do to help DCG sleep better? For her sanity and mine.
Controlled Chaos 12:04 PM 06-29-2016
That's super rough. I don't have any advice - but I'm sure someone will
childcaremom 12:36 PM 06-29-2016
I just had this issue. I received lots of good advice here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=whisperers
jenboo 12:43 PM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I just had this issue. I received lots of good advice here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=whisperers
Thanks.
I just read over your thread. The biggest issue I have is that all the rooms in my house are right next to each other. If I just let her cry, she wakes everyone up. I did let her cry one day and she screamed for 2 straight hours. No one slept that day and I thought i was going to go mental.
jenboo 11:43 AM 07-01-2016
Question: when she wakes up in the middle of nap screaming, should I lay her back down each time she sits up? Or should I just leave her?
Scout 01:18 PM 07-01-2016
Is it possible she needs both a morning and afternoon nap? Maybe she is overly tired?
jenboo 01:32 PM 07-01-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
Is it possible she needs both a morning and afternoon nap? Maybe she is overly tired?
I tried a morning nap. She screams for 2 hours straight. Every time I tried. I know she is exhausted.
It's so frustrating because she fabulous except for nap time.
childcaremom 03:17 PM 07-01-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Question: when she wakes up in the middle of nap screaming, should I lay her back down each time she sits up? Or should I just leave her?
I went in in increasing intervals to lay her back down. 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins, etc. If it makes her more upset, then I would just leave her.

It took me 4 full weeks (right to the last day) for it to click for mine.
jenboo 03:37 PM 07-01-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I went in in increasing intervals to lay her back down. 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins, etc. If it makes her more upset, then I would just leave her.

It took me 4 full weeks (right to the last day) for it to click for mine.
This is the last day of our 4th week. I'm in vacation next week too. So we will be starting over once I back. Oh joy.
I hope it clicks soon. I'm going to talk to mom about it today again. Yesterday and today she woke the whole house up with her screaming.
Unregistered 03:58 PM 07-01-2016
Search Music Therapy on Facebook. That's the name of the site I've used, Supposedly it's the right frequency for deep sleep. I don't sleep well and it's helped me personally!

Have you tried white noise? A fan or even a white noise machine.

If she would let you before nap massage her feet or palms lightly...reflexology. You can google exact spots on hands or feet for sleep. I'd try this a number of days. It's worked for me. Might be worth a try even if she wakes up.

Possibly these may help.
childcaremom 04:57 PM 07-01-2016
This is the last day of our 4th week. I'm in vacation next week too. So we will be starting over once I back. Oh joy.
I hope it clicks soon. I'm going to talk to mom about it today again. Yesterday and today she woke the whole house up with her screaming.
I also did as Heidi suggested: didn't pick her up when she was screaming. Went in with a big smile and told her that nap was over and tried to get her to stop screaming before I picked her up. She would usually stop as soon as she saw me.

I've had this happen twice. First time I tried 4 months (!!!) before terming. I swore never again. This time I was convinced we had turned the corner and dcm pulled. So hopefully it goes better with you. I know how nerve wracking it can be.
KiwiKids 06:58 PM 07-01-2016
There's zero chance that she's a co-sleeper at home? I only ask because she acts like the toddlers I've had who still co-sleep at home.
KiwiKids 07:01 PM 07-01-2016
In my case with the co-sleepers... Some adjusted to being on a nap mat in the middle of the play room with classical music playing loudly and I would stay within sight but not make eye contact during nap time. Eventually some would sleep and some never did but would nap for a little while and then lay quietly until I told them it was time to get up and have fun.
jenboo 01:21 PM 07-15-2016
So I talked to mom some more and ..... DCG sleeps in a stroller at home!

I have no idea how to even go about this whole situation now.
Advice is welcome.
Baby Beluga 01:29 PM 07-15-2016

Advice is welcome.
Yikes! Are the parents pushing the stroller while DCG sleeps or is she just sitting/laying in stroller?
jenboo 02:19 PM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Yikes! Are the parents pushing the stroller while DCG sleeps or is she just sitting/laying in stroller?
They push her in it until she falls asleep. Then they leave her in it.
KiwiKids 02:39 PM 07-15-2016
Oh my! I would ask that for the sake on consistency and to make this as easy as possible on DCG that they try to get her to nap the same way she's expected at daycare. Hopefully they'll listen... In many cases they won't and it means DCG may not adjust to napping at daycare.
KiwiKids 02:44 PM 07-15-2016
I've had 50/50 luck with toddlers who have had parents not willing to make changes to assist.
Leigh 03:00 PM 07-15-2016

Advice is welcome.
O.M.F.G. THAT is one I haven't heard before. All you can do is accept it or put your foot down and let them know that they have 30, 60, however many days to get it together and teach their child to sleep laying flat-like she is SUPPOSED to, or find a new childcare situation. I'd include a warning that it will be VERY hard to find a childcare willing to deal with this.
Baby Beluga 03:14 PM 07-15-2016
They push her in it until she falls asleep. Then they leave her in it.
Oh my...that's a new one!

I think I would have to have a sit down with mom/dad and as a PP suggested, give them x amount of days for this to stop at home and improve at DC. This situation is unfair to you and DCG.
jenboo 03:28 PM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Oh my...that's a new one!

I think I would have to have a sit down with mom/dad and as a PP suggested, give them x amount of days for this to stop at home and improve at DC. This situation is unfair to you and DCG.
And everyone else who has to listen to her!
They said they will work on it at home. If I don't see any changes soon, we will have a serious sit down chat and they will be given x amount of days.
I have two people on my waitlist but neither need care until the end of summer so I don't want to term too early.
I'm hoping they actually work on it. I love dcg the rest of the day and she fits in well with the group.
rosieteddy 10:02 AM 07-20-2016
Iwould tell parents that she is on probation. They should be aware of the safety issues sleeping in a stroller can cause.I would continue nap time as you are.I also used music -pretty loud .I would sit in the room.Read or do something for yourself.I even ate lunch sometimes.One thing that worked for me was the "magic"blanket.A heavyish blanket layed onto the child.It always seemed to comfort them and kept them from startling awake.I would give it two weeks after vacation then if not better then I would replace.
jenboo 08:11 AM 08-02-2016
I'm not if anything was changed at home or not but DCG is napping great now!!
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 08-02-2016
I'm not if anything was changed at home or not but DCG is napping great now!!
Yay! Maybe mom sensed your frustration and figured she better hurry up and "fix" the situation before you termed them.....

I know most parents don't pick up on that type of thing but one can dream right?!?!

Hoping she stays on her new routine and is a great napper for you!
LostMyMarbles 02:57 PM 08-02-2016
Please keep us updated.
jenboo 05:30 PM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
Please keep us updated.
She took a 4 hour nap today!
Scout 06:04 PM 08-02-2016
Yay!!
KiwiKids 05:32 AM 08-03-2016
Awesome!!!
Tags:nap, sleep - issues
Reply Up