Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Battle-Scarred?
Pestle 12:13 PM 06-29-2017
What's the worst injury you've sustained from your job? I remember somebody here talked about losing a tooth to a well-placed head butt.
daycarediva 01:28 PM 06-29-2017
I had a kid smash me in the face with a wooden block, and it formed a mucocele. I have to have the damn thing operated on this summer!
Indoorvoice 01:55 PM 06-29-2017
I haven't had any injuries doing daycare yet, but when I was pregnant with my 2nd, I was teaching special ed and went into premature labor from getting kicked in the stomach by a student. He told me I was a wh*re and he was going to "knock that f**king baby out of me" Such a lovely child. That was pretty psychologically scarring and I quit. My baby is fine by the way. It was when I was teaching an emotionally impaired classroom. That student had major anger issues about me being pregnant and he was only in 3rd grade
LysesKids 02:06 PM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
What's the worst injury you've sustained from your job? I remember somebody here talked about losing a tooth to a well-placed head butt.
I have had my right knee cap broken 2 times & all the tendons torn in the same ankle... my first injury was my front tooth in 2005. I've been doing this 17.5 years now. Ankle happened in 2006 on my birthday, knee cap in 2012 & 2015 (I wear a brace on it fairly often due to pain) - never closed more than 24 hrs afterwards ( couldn't afford too)
Josiegirl 03:08 PM 06-29-2017
Oh wow! Unbelievable what some of the kids are capable of!!
Me, thankfully nothing more than black and blues.
Mike 03:21 PM 06-29-2017
I guess I should get myself full body armor before I go into business.
e.j. 03:27 PM 06-29-2017
Wow! I feel very lucky compared to everyone else! I've had relatively minor injuries so far. I stepped on a toy that one of the kids left on the stairs and twisted my ankle. I heard a snap and based on the level of pain I felt, I thought for sure I broke my ankle at first. It gradually got better so it wasn't broken but it took awhile.

I also burned my hand while making lunch for the kids one day. I was going to make a hot lunch and turned one of the stove burners on. I then changed my mind and turned it off. Shortly after that, I noticed some crumbs on the stove and, being the ditz that I am, went to swipe them up with my hand, totally forgetting that the burner was still hot. I ended up burning the palm of my right hand. I still had to make lunch for the kids so I did it with one hand in a bowl of cool water while I made lunch with my left hand. (Not easy for a righty!) I could remove my hand from the water for a few seconds before the burning got so bad I had to dunk it back in again. I made it through the end of the day but getting the kids ready for nap and changing diapers was definitely challenging!

I've been head butted before and had to feel my front teeth to make sure they weren't knocked out because it hurt so much. I try to remember to hold the kids down a little lower so if they do try to head butt me, they don't hit my mouth.
Pestle 05:08 PM 06-29-2017
e.j., I just looked more closely at your profile photo and realized it's hearts. I'd assumed it was 2d4 (two of these four-sided dice) but then I actually thought about and considered that no, it wasn't likely anybody on here had tabletop role-playing dice as a profile pic.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 05:50 PM 06-29-2017
Pulled a drawer front off and it landed on my foot. I cried. Finished making lunch, got the kids down for nap and called the family ex-ER nurse. I had no feeling in a couple toes and it was swelling huge quickly. Decided to make it through the day, and it slowly improved. I was definitely making my exit strategy in my head that day.
e.j. 06:30 PM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
e.j., I just looked more closely at your profile photo and realized it's hearts. I'd assumed it was 2d4 (two of these four-sided dice) but then I actually thought about and considered that no, it wasn't likely anybody on here had tabletop role-playing dice as a profile pic.
Funny! Someone else had the same heart picture and it used to make me do a double-take every time she'd post.
DaveA 04:16 AM 06-30-2017
I've been pretty lucky. Some bumps and bruises from head on collisions with kiddos in play cars. That sort of stuff. I think my worst was a back injury from falling while salting driveway before DCFs showed up. That one hurt for a while.

Now my OTHER job........Let's just say that's a different story.
Mike 05:27 AM 06-30-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I've been pretty lucky. Some bumps and bruises from head on collisions with kiddos in play cars. That sort of stuff. I think my worst was a back injury from falling while salting driveway before DCFs showed up. That one hurt for a while.
I know all about that. Did it cause you permanent damage? (ruptured disc) I slipped and fell 15 years ago and ruptured a lower disc. If I'm careful what I do, it's not a big problem, but 6 days ago I shingled my mother's garage roof, then was going to do the house roof, but my back is currently still so sore it hurts every time I change positions. The house roof has to wait at least another week, and even then, I'm going to get tarps and do it very slowly.

Originally Posted by DaveA:
Now my OTHER job........Let's just say that's a different story.
Those injuries are ok though because you're having fun, right?
DaveA 06:53 AM 06-30-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
I know all about that. Did it cause you permanent damage? (ruptured disc) I slipped and fell 15 years ago and ruptured a lower disc. If I'm careful what I do, it's not a big problem, but 6 days ago I shingled my mother's garage roof, then was going to do the house roof, but my back is currently still so sore it hurts every time I change positions. The house roof has to wait at least another week, and even then, I'm going to get tarps and do it very slowly.

Those injuries are ok though because you're having fun, right?
Of course.

As for the back- nothing big like ruptured disk or anything permanent. My back isn't great, but that would be hard to place on that fall. The "why my body hurts" list has a few pages to it.
BrynleeJean 09:36 AM 06-30-2017
a child who was stacking chairs at the daycare center i was working at was walking past me with the chair and dropped it on my toe.
Reply Up