Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Van - Coats in Boosters
happymom 08:56 AM 03-02-2018
OK, so I have been REALLY happy with my daycare situation lately.

I love the director. Love her. And the teachers in all my kids classrooms.

My oldest gets transported in a big van (I think it's a 12 or 15 passenger Ford Transit) -- not exactly sure. BUT, daycare transportation scares the crap out of me. My son is harnessed with me, but in a no back booster at daycare. When I changed him to this center, I asked if I could see how they buckle him in the van and to see the car seats they use and make sure he was within the limits. They told me they always have boosters for all the kids that need boosters (but I think by law they only need boosters until they are 8 --- I know safety wise, that that is not the case, and I will worry about that when my son turns 8).

I meticulously taught my son the importance of riding safe, not slouching, how the seat belt should fit him, and to always take his winter coat off before buckling. I told him if he ever gets in the van and they don't have a booster for him, that he is not to ride in the van and he needs to have the driver call me right away. Overboard? I don't know. Sometimes I don't know where to draw the line between crazy protective and regular mom looking out for her kid.

Yesterday my son (who turns 6 this month) came home upset because the driver of the van told him he needs to ride with his coat on. Her reasoning is that he struggles climbing into the van when he's carrying his coat and his backpack (according to him). I did some research and found out that it might be safe for him to ride with his coat unzipped. Maybe it is? I'm honestly much more comfortable with him riding without his coat at all. We don't live in sub zero temps, he's fine for a few minutes without his coat.

Should I bring it up with the director? My son told me "everyone" rides the van in their coats with their backpacks on (something I specifically told him he is NEVER to do no matter what). I'm not here to micromanage and make sure all the kids are riding safe, I will mind my own business when it comes to all the other kids, but I am kind of ticked that he was told to wear his coat when I specifically told him not to.

Does anyone have an alternate point of view? I'm trying to be very open minded. I don't have a lot of tolerance for improper car seat use.
Tags:6 year old, 7 year old, own child, school aged care, van
Up