Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Going to Die: The Shrieks, Man
Pestle 05:22 AM 03-22-2018
Got a 16mo who has always been a max-volume beastie. But this week is a doozy. Constant joyful shrieks. She hates being picked up and shoves off from me and runs away to shriek from another part of the room if I try to impose a little cheerful social pressure or provide a distraction. She gets a dazed look for a moment, then runs off shrieking when I give her the stern "NO." She's just talking to herself, only it's loud enough to be heard in three states if the wind is blowing in the right direction. I feel like I'm crushed against the speakers at a concert and am seriously wondering about permanent hearing loss. My head is already ringing at 8:20am. And she's set off the 22mo. They're having a GREAT TIME. My DD is hiding at the other end of the house.

I would like to order one medically-induced coma, please. Wake me at pick up time.
Ac114 05:39 AM 03-22-2018
Hugs to you mama! I have a shrieker too and it’s at a crazy high decibel that some days I think I may suffer hearing loss. It’s the same shriek when he’s sad, happy, mad etc. Its almost the weekend though!
ColorfulSunburst 10:16 AM 03-22-2018
try to stop paying attention to it. do not say no, do not look at her angrily. zero attention. it usually works very well
daycarediva 10:20 AM 03-22-2018
Oh goodness shriekers.

I have a growler.

ALLLLL DAY. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It's LOUD. Like a caged lion.
Miss A 10:37 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Oh goodness shriekers.

I have a growler.

ALLLLL DAY. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It's LOUD. Like a caged lion.
My 18mo DS is a combination shrieker and grunter. He has the loudest, highest shriek when happy or angry. Usually by the afternoon my ears are ringing and I have a headache from all the noise. My husband watches "Home Improvement" on Hulu at night, and my DS picked up on Tim Allen's grunts and now does that while playing.
Pestle 11:00 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
try to stop paying attention to it. do not say no, do not look at her angrily. zero attention. it usually works very well
Well, since the shrieking is nonstop, I do pretend to ignore it most of the time. She's not shrieking for attention; it's just the vocal development stage she's at. I figure she'll keep shrieking until she figures out how to make a new sound.

Right now she just woke up and is strangely silent; I checked her to make sure she wasn't having a seizure.
Pestle 11:03 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
My husband watches "Home Improvement" on Hulu at night, and my DS picked up on Tim Allen's grunts and now does that while playing.

Tags:loud child, shriekers
Reply Up