Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Social Media New Employee
daycare 10:57 AM 05-10-2013
ok I need some advice here.

I am revamping my EHB.

I need to add in a section that talks about my expectations of employee Social Media accounts.

What I want to say is that while they are employed with me that they will be expected to maintain professional social media accounts at all times. They also will not be allowed to accept Add/Friend request of current or past clients.

I also want to add in that while I understand that everyone needs to vent about what they may not like about their job, social media is not a place to discuss it. Clients can read this.

I suggest that they keep all social media accounts, private, but understand that I cant require it. Or can I?

They also will never be allowed to take photos of any of the DCKs EVER and should NEVER post anything about any child, DCF or anything about my family on their Social Media accounts. Some of this falls under my confidentially section, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't leave out the internet.

is there anything that you all can see that I need to add? I don't participate in social media at all. I hate it.. the form is the extent of me playing online...
DaisyMamma 11:21 AM 05-10-2013
I agree with it all.
I had an employee post a photo of a kid on my personal facebook. I wasn't there and found out later. I wasn't happy, as this family had specified that the child's photo not be put on facebook.
daycare 11:29 AM 05-10-2013
I live in a pretty small town, so I have to require this...you know how that whole thing goes, someone always knows someone else that knows someone else....lol

Do you think that I can make it mandatory to have them keep a private profile??
daycare 12:59 PM 05-10-2013
wanted to bump this back up....MV I am curious to know what you have in your EHB in regards to this. I recall, you said you are making one.....

thanks
Cradle2crayons 01:00 PM 05-10-2013
I wouldn't think it would be legal to keep it private however if they are following the rules it shouldn't matter if its private or not.
daycare 01:04 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I wouldn't think it would be legal to keep it private however if they are following the rules it shouldn't matter if its private or not.
very good point... So I guess I should just keep it as a suggestion. I don't want to have to police it, but I will check it out from time to time.
Cradle2crayons 01:06 PM 05-10-2013
Maybe give them a hand out on social media safety and have them sign they understand it. You would be surprised how few people really know how to and why they should keep it private?
daycare 01:12 PM 05-10-2013
Maybe give them a hand out on social media safety and have them sign they understand it. You would be surprised how few people really know how to and why they should keep it private?
I plan on this....

DO you think that anything that I am asking is unfair.....or is there anything else that I need to add to this section of my EHB?
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I live in a pretty small town, so I have to require this...you know how that whole thing goes, someone always knows someone else that knows someone else....lol

Do you think that I can make it mandatory to have them keep a private profile??
I am unsure of your state's licensing laws but family privacy and confidentiality are something that is legally required in my state for ANYONE who works, assists, helps and/or volunteers in a child care.

I would have your employee sign a statement that anything daycare related will remain at daycare.

If I heard or found out that an employee was talking about, posting about or sharing ANY kind of info about an enrolled family, I would fire them immediately for breach of confidentiality.

In my opinion that is the first rule of professionalism.
Cradle2crayons 01:19 PM 05-10-2013
Blackcat, I was referring to her asking them to make their PERSONAL facebook account private... That's not legal... Although she could try.

She already mentioned her confidentiality notice
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 05-10-2013
Blackcat, I was referring to her asking them to make their PERSONAL facebook account private... That's not legal... Although she could try.

She already mentioned her confidentiality notice
Oops...my bad. Sorry.

I am reading on my phone and the text is so tiny....
Cradle2crayons 01:24 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oops...my bad. Sorry.

I am reading on my phone and the text is so tiny....
It is on my iPad too!!!!! And the danged auto correct!!!!

Lol no harm done... I read things wrong all the time myself... Then I just have to do a forehead slap

daycare 01:33 PM 05-10-2013
dont you love auto correct.....hahahahha

Yes, confidentiality is in contract. it is also state law here too....
preschoolteacher 02:04 PM 05-10-2013
I think this is a really important policy to have. I would suggest that you extend it to families, as well! There may be times when a parent takes a photo of the kids and puts it on facebook without realizing that another family might have a problem with that. Whatever you come up with for your employees, you should consider including in your policy handbook for your families.

You're right to think that a social media policy needs to be spelled out clearly for people. Some people just don't get it and can't understand why posting pictures of kids on facebook could be a problem. It's a sore point with some of my extended family members that my husband and I don't let them upload pictures of our son to their facebook pages or other personal sites!
daycare 02:15 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I think this is a really important policy to have. I would suggest that you extend it to families, as well! There may be times when a parent takes a photo of the kids and puts it on facebook without realizing that another family might have a problem with that. Whatever you come up with for your employees, you should consider including in your policy handbook for your families.

You're right to think that a social media policy needs to be spelled out clearly for people. Some people just don't get it and can't understand why posting pictures of kids on facebook could be a problem. It's a sore point with some of my extended family members that my husband and I don't let them upload pictures of our son to their facebook pages or other personal sites!
I do not allow for parents to take pictures of any of the kids ever. I have permission slips that will allow me to do it. I have a private section on our website that I will post pictures. My parents are lucky that photography is my hobby and I have some really nice equipment, so I take about 40-50 pics a day. My pictures upload straight from my camera to my website...I love it and so do they..

I always feel like when it comes to business, things have to be very clear. No grey area. Can someone tell the state of CA to get on the same page...lol
earlystart 04:06 PM 05-10-2013
I agree 100% with all the confidentiality stuff. I don't happen to agree with you trying to control their personal life however - telling them to keep a professional social media life and saying they can't friend clients. Just because you don't like it? As long as they aren't violating confidentiality, why shouldn't they be free to do what they want in their free time? Online social life is similar to offline social life. Would you tell them they can't wear bikini or drink alcohol or kiss in public? That they can't be friends or hang out with past clients? Just my perspective. I understand why you wouldn't like those things, but I just don't think you should have a say over employees personal life choices.
daycare 04:13 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by earlystart:
I agree 100% with all the confidentiality stuff. I don't happen to agree with you trying to control their personal life however - telling them to keep a professional social media life and saying they can't friend clients. Just because you don't like it? As long as they aren't violating confidentiality, why shouldn't they be free to do what they want in their free time? Online social life is similar to offline social life. Would you tell them they can't wear bikini or drink alcohol or kiss in public? That they can't be friends or hang out with past clients? Just my perspective. I understand why you wouldn't like those things, but I just don't think you should have a say over employees personal life choices.
how would you feel if you went and googeld your childs care taker and saw pictures of her doing beer bongs on a Tuesday night, venting about how much she hates her job or the children at her job. Or better yet what if they have an Ode to Marijuana on their profile?? Still want them around your child?

What you do in your free time is none of my business, but when you put it out there for the world to see, it becomes my business, as well as the business of my daycare families.

I will not stand for anyone that works for me making a fool. They are accepting a job as a role model in my community and this is what I am requiring of my employees. If they don't like that rule, they don't have to work for me....
Cradle2crayons 05:35 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
how would you feel if you went and googeld your childs care taker and saw pictures of her doing beer bongs on a Tuesday night, venting about how much she hates her job or the children at her job. Or better yet what if they have an Ode to Marijuana on their profile?? Still want them around your child?

What you do in your free time is none of my business, but when you put it out there for the world to see, it becomes my business, as well as the business of my daycare families.

I will not stand for anyone that works for me making a fool. They are accepting a job as a role model in my community and this is what I am requiring of my employees. If they don't like that rule, they don't have to work for me....

Reply Up