Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Registered User, Need Some Advice On A Big Decision...
Unregistered 11:37 AM 05-23-2014
Logged out for privacy.

First and foremost, I run an in home program to be able to be with my children as well as negate $840 of childcare expenses we had a month for our children.

That being said, I care for 2 young toddlers. Both parents are expecting in December. Both parents are teachers and I do not have the children, or income, in the summer. I also care for two 3 year olds part time and their parents enjoy the preschool program. I also have an after school only child.

My enrollment:
13m
15m
3y
3y
4y (DD)
6y (DS)
5y (after school only)

I had been planning on letting the part time 3 year olds go and take on both babies in February. However, I am concerned that my DD will have no playmates her age nor will I be able to dedicate time to prepare her for Kindergarten while taking care of two infants and two 25m olds. I had thought about enrolling her in extracurriculur activities to give that social aspect. Both toddler parents expect me to take their babies in February and I have indicated that I plan to verbally as the 3 year olds are part time and full time trumps part time. There is nothing in writing about pt vs. ft or about me agreeing to take the infants, but my word is important.

I have at least 1.5 years left of doing in home childcare before I go back to work part time during school hours as DD enrolls in full day Kindergarten. I do not need long term enrollment, but I do need at least $600 of income per month to be able to stay home. Keeping the two 3 year olds and the after schooler put me at $720 per month and I would could take on 1-2 more full time preschool aged or school aged children.

I am seriously considering letting the toddlers go with their siblings (assuming parents don't want to keep toddlers here if I don't take the babies) to run preschool-focused childcare for the next couple of years at least.

What would you do in my shoes? I am really torn and really love all my families right now. If I don't take the babies due to wanting to run a more preschool-focused childcare, I need to let the toddlers go in my mind because they don't fit into a preschool-focused childcare... if that makes sense. Any thoughts? I don't mind harsh/critical replies....I really just need some other opinions.

DH is supportive of my decisions regardless. He agrees that my in home childcare is to negate the childcare expenses we had - so as long as I bring in enough to keep us comfortable, any decision is fine. He also agrees that I won't have time to prepare DD for Kindergarten if I take the babies...and we have no easy way right now to transport to the local school for 4 year old preschool for her (I don't want to transport kids - huge liability to me).
midaycare 11:42 AM 05-23-2014
If you don't want the work of infants, then don't take them. Especially if you make enough money without doing it.
drseuss 11:42 AM 05-23-2014
Only you can really say what's best for your family and household. It is good that you are planning ahead as you are. You seem very organized.

As far as infants go, and this is just me, but I do not take them on unless I plan to keep them until they age out to kindergarten. I do not think it is fair to them, considering how vital early attachments are. JMO. The preschool thing is the way I would lean in your situation.
Heidi 11:52 AM 05-23-2014
Assuming you enjoy the whole preschool aspect, I'd go with that. You could advertise as a preschool, and maybe get a couple more 3 year olds, if possible.

Personally, though, it is such a loooong way off, I wouldn't start saying much of anything. You just never know what the parents will want to do then.

Mom's are having babies in December, which means, if they get 12 weeks leave (a lot of teachers do), they are into late February before they go back to work. That is a long ways away, and who knows if they don't decide to stay home, or hire a nanny, or move to Alaska?

It's good to have a plan, but take your time making a decision.
Chellieleanne 11:53 AM 05-23-2014
Decide what you want and your family needs. Daycare would be $800 a month for my kids if I were to work, so I stay home. DH makes enough where I don't need to do anything but I want to help out becuase I like the extra cash. I had an infant (6months) once, and that lasted a week because mom was way too picky and the poor kid was over weight and so needy that I couldn't do anything but tend to him. The kids I watch now are 2.5, 2, and 20 months. I only ever get the 2.5 on a regular basis though and that is fine for me.

Maybe you can increase your rates a little bit and only take preschool age so you can do prep for preschool and take less kids?

I don't know what your rates are or how much you need to make a month but it is just an option
Unregistered 12:47 PM 05-23-2014
Original poster here.

I was a private pre-kindergarten teacher before I opened up in home. "My" age group is 3-5. Older 5s are often can be too much for me depending on the child (arguing/bossy).
Infant care is very hard to come by around here, so I do want to give the parents notice if I make this decision. It's hard to know when to make the decision and when to notify if I choose to care for preschoolers only. I would be happy to take a couple more 3 year olds, even part time versus the toddlers/babies.
cheerfuldom 01:14 PM 05-23-2014
How many are you allowed to have in care right now?

Why not just start the transition now? Interview and start one preschooler at a time since you apparently have the room and after that one adjusts, give one toddler parent notice. I assume you have two weeks notice in your contract but if it makes you feel better, give four or six if you can. Then interview for another preschooler and start another round of transition. You can probably get everyone transitioned by fall if you get going now. It doesn't sound like you want to take infants necessarily plus you are a trained preK teacher, which parents will love and your daughter will be prepped for kindy with kids her age......this all trumps the toddler families. Just let them know "I know I discussed taking the baby but my program is evolving to include preschool aged children only and I want to give you as much time as I can to find replacement care rather than pop this one you closer to when the baby is born. My families needs have changed and I won't be able to offer infant care anymore and big sister/brother is too young for my preschool program. I know this is not the news you wanted to hear but the decision is final"
Crazy8 03:00 PM 05-23-2014
If getting preschoolers is not an issue for you and you enjoy that age group better I would let the toddlers go. I would wait until school gets out and then tell the parents that for September you will be moving your daycare in that direction and unfortunately you will not be able to take the babies next year. I know here I get the most calls over the summer, so since you don't have these kids for summer anyway I would just be done with them at the end of this school year.
Unregistered 03:17 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
How many are you allowed to have in care right now?

Why not just start the transition now? Interview and start one preschooler at a time since you apparently have the room and after that one adjusts, give one toddler parent notice. I assume you have two weeks notice in your contract but if it makes you feel better, give four or six if you can. Then interview for another preschooler and start another round of transition. You can probably get everyone transitioned by fall if you get going now. It doesn't sound like you want to take infants necessarily plus you are a trained preK teacher, which parents will love and your daughter will be prepped for kindy with kids her age......this all trumps the toddler families. Just let them know "I know I discussed taking the baby but my program is evolving to include preschool aged children only and I want to give you as much time as I can to find replacement care rather than pop this one you closer to when the baby is born. My families needs have changed and I won't be able to offer infant care anymore and big sister/brother is too young for my preschool program. I know this is not the news you wanted to hear but the decision is final"
5 plus my own DD (4y). So I would have 2 full time openings with the school ager (this kid is easy money and a good playmate for my son after school) and the 2 PT preschoolers.

I like that idea - especially since the teacher's toddlers are gone for the summer. I also like the way you phrased the notice as well. My only issue is that the best area to advertise on 2 facebook groups that one of the moms is a part of, but she knows I have open spots in the summer to fill with her toddler and the other gone. Interviewing in the summer would work well in terms of the program setup too - with only preschool and school age children my house will be set up toward preschool rather than preschool and toddler/baby.

All children who have enrolled (some didn't work out and were termed for behavior) over 3 have enrolled for the preschool program, so I do have that going for me - locally there is a 3 and a 4 year old public preschool. Neither offer full days and transportation is at a premium here and enrolling a child in a non-center preschool program means paying $$$$ for the program AND the transportation AND the part time care if you can find it at an in home provider.
Shell 05:35 PM 05-23-2014
I am a former k and pre-k teacher like you, and find I feel so much more fulfilled when I have an older group. I thoroughly enjoy the teaching part of having older kids, and honestly, I just love it when everyone is potty trained. I started taking infants out of necessity, since nearly every child around here goes to Preschool at 2.5 or 3! I prefer to take on babies when one of my own kids is that young, but otherwise I would love to have an older crowd of preschoolers. If you can do it, I say take the older kids and let the babies go.
Reply Up