Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Arriving With Old Injuries - How To Document
Baby Beluga 08:44 AM 10-31-2017
DCG - age 2. Mom is an RN.

DCB has a good amount of accidents at home. Normal for his age, I don't expect abuse, foul play or anything like that.

He has been in my care for 3 months and mom has told me 4 times that he has hit his head which resulted in a bump, an urgent care visit, and/or her giving him tylenol in case DCB gets a headache.

When these incidents happen mom has been great about notifying me at drop off. It's usually something like "hey, DCB and so and so were playing in the yard, DCB fell and hit his head. He has a bump, we did/did not go to urgent care but I wanted to let you know since we usually monitor head bumps for 24 hours in case of vomiting or other symptoms."

I get it. I am the same way with my own kids. DS started pulling up/standing at 6 months...we had our fair share of head bumps and 24 hours of monitoring BUT for my own protection, how would you recommend I document these conversations?
daycarediva 08:55 AM 10-31-2017
Can you send me a text about it dcm?

Papertrail. I have parents send me texts or emails about everything "so I will remember"
284878 09:01 AM 10-31-2017
Create a form for parents to fill out with info of injury (use a body drawing to x where the owie is) and some quick yes or no, (went urgent care, taking meds.....) And then have them sign it. Later or then, take a pic of injury.

I don't have the form but have considered making one. I do take pictures and make note of injury in child's daily note.
Daycare Insurance 10:10 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
Create a form for parents to fill out with info of injury (use a body drawing to x where the owie is) and some quick yes or no, (went urgent care, taking meds.....) And then have them sign it. Later or then, take a pic of injury.
This is what we recommend. Document it, have the parents sign it, and take a picture. That way parents can't come back later and say it happened in your care.
LysesKids 10:51 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Daycare Insurance:
This is what we recommend. Document it, have the parents sign it, and take a picture. That way parents can't come back later and say it happened in your care.
Oh yeah... it's like my one child that got a minor skull fracture from their marble window sill @ home; documented & the child went to the DR before coming back here
Snowmom 11:35 AM 10-31-2017
I have small post-it note forms near my front door. I designed them in Photoshop and had them printed through Vistaprint.
They are labeled for vacation time, early pick up/late pick up notices & ouch reports (which I would use and note it happened at home and mentioned at drop off). Plus I always have a termination notice in there so it's handy in case I need one in a pinch.

If a parent mentioned an injury, I would grab one, jot it down and have them initial before leaving.
hwichlaz 11:42 AM 10-31-2017
Do you have individual sign-in sheets or a group sheet? You could have a notes section for things like that.
Baby Beluga 12:59 PM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:

I don't have the form but have considered making one. I do take pictures and make note of injury in child's daily note.
I like this idea!

Each child has their own section in my sign in/out binder. It would be very easy to add a few sheets to each child's section so when mom mentions an injury I can have her right it down.
Tags:injury prone, liability insurance
Reply Up