Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Age Restricted Communities and Family Childcare
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 10-23-2017
Do adults have the right to live child free?

Would you support a committee "to evaluate local zoning ordinances and ensure that while they protect a certain community’s quality of life, they don’t serve as barriers to the supply of high-quality and affordable child care"?
Ariana 09:05 AM 10-23-2017
I am not sure! I mean if a person purchased a home under the impression it would be kid free then that would not be really fair if a daycare popped up on their corner. Having said that I know of people who have purchased houses backing onto forests that were told nothing would be built and then it happens.

I think I would agree with the comittee as long as people purchasing homes knew in advance that it could be a possibility. I do support adults living a kid free lifestyle but when you are part of a society and children are part of society it can be an impossible expectation to have.
Cat Herder 09:14 AM 10-23-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am not sure! I mean if a person purchased a home under the impression it would be kid free then that would not be really fair if a daycare popped up on their corner.
For clarification:
"They go by a variety of names – 55-plus, independent living, active-adult and more – and they’re the only legal exception to fair housing laws that prevent discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability or family status." https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...-cant-tell-you
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 10-23-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Do adults have the right to live child free?

Would you support a committee "to evaluate local zoning ordinances and ensure that while they protect a certain community’s quality of life, they don’t serve as barriers to the supply of high-quality and affordable child care"?
I absolutely support a community that is child free!

My DH and I were just discussing something similar while at a local restaurant. We were of course seated next to a huge table with at least 10 kids under age 7 and 3 adults....ALL of whom spent the entire time looking at their phones while the kids ran amok in restaurant.

I told my DH I longed for a place that had "Kids/No Kids" sections much like the old "Smoking/No Smoking" sections in the past.

NOT everyone loves kids 24/7.
NOT everyone enjoys kids 24/7.

There are plenty of places in the world to live... some should be free of X, Y and/or Z if there is enough interest.

Just like peanuts.
Not everyone can have them, enjoy them or want them and they should have that right.
Cat Herder 09:48 AM 10-23-2017
FTR, I think they should be able to.

The biggest rub comes in when they are not over 55. That group seems to have no long term protection. Why? That is the group that is currently under fire, locally. Young adults in kid free condos, apartments and communities. One tenant gets pregnant/unexpected custody and forces their will with media/public pressure and city hall.

What about the children!! Oh, the poor children! Dramatics ensue. They deserve this peaceful and beautiful property too. The property that is so awesome due to their absence, mind you. <> just a little poking the bear.

Many 55+ are having to fight to stay that way, as well. Rebounding launched kids, grand kids being dropped off endlessly and community pressure.

They are made out to be heartless monsters when the reality is they have simply already paid their dues and want out.
daycarediva 10:39 AM 10-23-2017
I am all for it!

Like BC said- there should be kid free places. Just because children exist doesn't give them rights to everything.

Went with dh to get a drink late Friday night at this very high end new tapas/wine/beer place. THREE toddlers and two moms BITCHING because there were no high chairs. Um lady, it's a BAR. We ended up leaving and told the manager why- the kids were LOUD. The mom had to move the candles off the tables, a glass was broken, they didn't want to eat the food (and no, the waiter said that was their entire menu, no kid friendly food) I had enough of loud kids by Friday night. We could barely hear the pianist.
sharlan 10:52 AM 10-23-2017
Most definitely.

There is a reason people spend the $$$$ to buy in these communities.
Play Care 11:04 AM 10-23-2017
I agree if the community is designated/advertised as over 55+ then yes, NO kids. But I admit I feel bad for those grandparents who wind up with the grandkids (be it due to death of parents, abandonment) and have to move out of their home.

That said, DH's parents have a condo in Florida in a 55+ community and I know a lot of people with grandparents and parents who live in The Villages in Florida and I say with 100% certainty that I would NEVER, EVER, EVER live in those types of communities.
EVER, EVER, EVER.
Amen.
MarinaVanessa 11:06 AM 10-23-2017
I'm fine with the idea as long as they make it known at the time of sale that it's a child-free community. Not a community with children first that tries to change it after the fact.

I live in a townhouse condo community and we came in at the end of a long-time debate between the HOA and some homeowner's vs other homeowner's. The HOA, run by older/retired homeowner's, wanted to convert the community into a senior living community and the families with children were fighting against it. There used to be a playground near one of the pools and the HOA took it out because of "noise complaints". Funny thing is that the people that lived near the playground area were all on the board .

Enough of the community protested against it that it didn't happen and some of those homeowner's moved. That's how mu DH got our place.
Ariana 01:16 PM 10-23-2017
FTR, I think they should be able to.

The biggest rub comes in when they are not over 55. That group seems to have no long term protection. Why? That is the group that is currently under fire, locally. Young adults in kid free condos, apartments and communities. One tenant gets pregnant/unexpected custody and forces their will with media/public pressure and city hall.

What about the children!! Oh, the poor children! Dramatics ensue. They deserve this peaceful and beautiful property too. The property that is so awesome due to their absence, mind you. <> just a little poking the bear.

Many 55+ are having to fight to stay that way, as well. Rebounding launched kids, grand kids being dropped off endlessly and community pressure.

They are made out to be heartless monsters when the reality is they have simply already paid their dues and want out.
If I bought property under the premise that there were no kids then I woukd expect no kids for sure!! I would be miffed if any of the above happened. No one is forcing grandma or mom/dad to live in this community. It would kind of be like going to a community pool and complaining because you can’t swim.

Also agree with kid free venues, especially restaurants. If I go to a bar I expect a kid free atmosphere. If I go to Chucky Cheese I expect kids. I don’t take my kids to non kid friendly places but even if I do, they are well behaved or we leave!
Baby Beluga 01:31 PM 10-23-2017
I am ALL for it. Especially as a parent.

Branching off from the 55+ community and into restaurants, bars, etc idea: just because my children "can" go somewhere doesn't mean they should.
Baby Beluga 01:31 PM 10-23-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
If I bought property under the premise that there were no kids then I woukd expect no kids for sure!! I would be miffed if any of the above happened. No one is forcing grandma or mom/dad to live in this community. It would kind of be like going to a community pool and complaining because you can’t swim.

Also agree with kid free venues, especially restaurants. If I go to a bar I expect a kid free atmosphere. If I go to Chucky Cheese I expect kids. I don’t take my kids to non kid friendly places but even if I do, they are well behaved or we leave!

Play Care 10:58 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I am ALL for it. Especially as a parent.

Branching off from the 55+ community and into restaurants, bars, etc idea: just because my children "can" go somewhere doesn't mean they should.
Here's the thing though - kids are ALLOWED in those places to VISIT. They just can't live there.
So even at my IL's retirement condo, there are always a ton of kids in the pool during the school breaks. Visiting is always allowed, IME.
Being there all day every day because g'parents are providing free day care is not usually allowed.
And living there (usually due to death of parents) is also not.
Cat Herder 11:07 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Here's the thing though - kids are ALLOWED in those places to VISIT. They just can't live there.
So even at my IL's retirement condo, there are always a ton of kids in the pool during the school breaks. Visiting is always allowed, IME.
Being there all day every day because g'parents are providing free day care is not usually allowed.
And living there (usually due to death of parents) is also not.
That is actually part of the "problem" being discussed. Most people buy in believing there won't be kids then that one neighbor starts with the grand kids every day. Then the other neighbor decides to keep a couple kids after school, upgrades to a group home. Later, the guy across the street's kids don't "live" there if they stay less than 51% of the year (tax rule).

Where is the line in the sand?
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 10-27-2017
That is actually part of the "problem" being discussed. Most people buy in believing there won't be kids then that one neighbor starts with the grand kids every day. Then the other neighbor decides to keep a couple kids after school, upgrades to a group home. Later, the guy across the street's kids don't "live" there if they stay less than 51% of the year (tax rule).

They'll have to start classifying them like resorts pretty soon...

Inclusive, ALL inclusive or not inclusive etc...

That way buyers know if kids will be there visiting, if they might just be there visiting during the day or if they are not even allowed on the property.
hwichlaz 12:02 PM 10-27-2017
here, in my area, they aren't really to keep the community kid free...they are generally gov subsidized in some way, as a more affordable way for retirees to live. And there are always lots of kids around, lol.
Play Care 02:18 PM 10-27-2017

I would have to ask my IL's but I'm pretty sure their community in Florida is very strict about those things. I recall FIL saying they had to sign something about renting to only other 55+ (as some of the owners do rent out their condos in the winter months) I also bet there is a clause about having home businesses. But there are certain times of year that the residents know they'll be a lot of kids due to winter breaks and such. Anyone who thinks they won't ever see kids in a 55+ community is delusional. But I'm kind of surprised it's such an issue by you, as HOA's are usually pretty explicit in their contracts and they do hold up in court. Seems someone dropped the ball.

That said, I always think people who want things *just* so need to get 40+ acres and put their house in the middle of that. Then they wouldn't have to worry about what everyone else was doing.
Blackcat31 05:02 PM 10-27-2017
That said, I always think people who want things *just* so need to get 40+ acres and put their house in the middle of that. Then they wouldn't have to worry about what everyone else was doing.
Nah, the neighbors are still annoying.
HappyEverAfter 07:14 PM 10-27-2017
I love the idea of a kid-free community. I actually can't wait until my DH and I are old enough to retire and we move into a retirement community in Palm Springs.
knoxmomof2 02:35 AM 10-28-2017
In regards to how minors are handled in adult communities - 17 years ago, I worked at an over 55 community in Florida. There were blanket restrictions / rules on guests (how many, how long they could stay, specific rules about minors and how they had to be accompanied in any public space within the park). Members were expected to register guests with us at the office, including an arrival and departure date. Since lots / driveways were so small, extra cars were easy to spot and park attendance was closely monitored twice a week by resident volunteers. That was done for multiple reasons such as security, but also to monitor non-residential attendance in the park.

They even started requiring lot numbers on golf carts after the Grandson of a resident flashed several residents 🤤 lol....

In regards to the original point of the post - yes, adults should have the right to expect child free living as long as the housing was already designated that way. If these are new proposed changes, that is a different story.
Josiegirl 02:50 PM 10-29-2017
Please. Give me that 40 acres so I can put a house smack dab n the middle. Please. I always wanted to be a hermit where NOBODY is allowed.
Play Care 06:16 AM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nah, the neighbors are still annoying.

Right! But at least you don't have the visual from your windows
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 10-30-2017

Right! But at least you don't have the visual from your windows
True. This is very true.
I don't even have to have curtains or blinds and don't.
Play Care 06:21 AM 10-30-2017
I mean, I LOVE adult time as much as anyone - probably more than anyone
I would pay to take a vacation where it's 21+ And we are taking a cruise in June and I plan on using the adults only section quite a bit

But you would never catch me living in an HOA (which is what those 55+ communities are)
Seriously, we visited my IL's once at their place in Florida. That was enough
Old people can be persnickety enough on their own. En masse was unbearable
Tags:child free zones, zoning
Reply Up