Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Name Recognition
flying_babyb 07:40 PM 10-23-2017
so I need some help. My kids are way too smart. They can name hundreds of animals, know there colors, recognize most letters and are working on numbers. So now we are working on name recognition. Most of my kids cant even figure out what letter there names start with (I have 2s and 3). This seems to be there latest interest, learning there names. So any good name recognition activities? Anything I can do with a file folder for some solo learning? i like the idea of doing there name with the boxes to put the cut out letters in but what else could I use? These kids are wild and crazy unless I keep them busy learning hard!
daycarediva 10:27 AM 10-24-2017
You should do some sensory activities, gross motor, etc to mix up which domains they're working.

If they know the letters, why can't they recognize the first letter of their own names? For almost all kids ever, that is their first 'letter' to actually know/recognize in print and it spring boards from there.

For name recognition- we label every dang thing with their name. I make lists for centers, the kids have to write their names to join. Scribbles at first, but it comes. Cubbies, take home folders, rest items, place at the table, cups, etc. I also added a photo to each child's fridge magnet.

I don't push it though- there is no proven benefit from learning letters at 2-3-4 and reading or writing earlier. I have had kids know every letter upper and lower case, sounds, etc and not read until 7 and kids have ZERO interest in letters at 4 reading at 5.
Baby Beluga 01:17 PM 10-24-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
You should do some sensory activities, gross motor, etc to mix up which domains they're working.

If they know the letters, why can't they recognize the first letter of their own names? For almost all kids ever, that is their first 'letter' to actually know/recognize in print and it spring boards from there.

For name recognition- we label every dang thing with their name. I make lists for centers, the kids have to write their names to join. Scribbles at first, but it comes. Cubbies, take home folders, rest items, place at the table, cups, etc. I also added a photo to each child's fridge magnet.

I don't push it though- there is no proven benefit from learning letters at 2-3-4 and reading or writing earlier. I have had kids know every letter upper and lower case, sounds, etc and not read until 7 and kids have ZERO interest in letters at 4 reading at 5.
This. They all do it at their own pace

With that being said, I do monthly learning goals and 2 letters are included in those goals each month. It is not pushed on the kids though. If I have someone who doesn't wish to participate, no biggie. However mine (so far) are always excited to do so.

One of our favorites is our welcome name song. It is sung to the tune of bingo and goes:

We have a friend who's here today and Sally is her name
S-A-L-L-Y
S-A-L-L-Y
S-A-L-L-Y
And Sally is her name!

We clap while doing it. Sometimes the child who is being sung about will get up and dance. Sometimes they will point to the letters in their name and sometimes they just sit. We mix it up. BUT this is often how each child learns to recite and spell their name.
ColorfulSunburst 06:01 PM 10-29-2017
I do not teach kids to recognize their name or some other words.. I teach them to read it.
For an example at September kids learned the letters Mm, Dd, Aa, Oo and their phonics. By using this knowledge they were able to read the words Mom and Dad. They got an idea why they are learning letters. They also learned ASL signs for that words as well as the signs for words brother, sister, grandpa, grandma, uncle ... The Septembers theme was Family.
My kids start reading around 3yo. Reading. Not recognizing words.
LK5kids 09:09 PM 10-30-2017
Your kids are young and are learning a lot including academics. They just can't keep cramming more and more in! When I taught kindergarten and the kids began to read they started forgetting pre-k knowledge....their birthday, harder shapes, etc. it was like the hard drive was full. There's only so much you can keep expecting them to learn. Give them some space. They are super young (2&3).

That said here are some ideas and yes label cubbies, coat hooks, etc. I'd choose name recognition fun over letter and number recognition for 3's. I wouldn't even worry about the 2's. But that's just my opinion.

Name strips at snack and or lunch. You put them out, they find their name and seat.

Do you have a pocket chart? Write names on index cards and at circle have them come up and find their name. Add some extras so last child has a challenge. If you don't have a pocket chart find a different way for them to find their name. I've seen names written on a tongue depressor and placed in a basket. When children arrive they find their name and put it in a cup or other holder.

Name art-write their names with white crayon on white construction paper ( press hard) and have them watercolor paint the piece of paper.

Make Class books that focus on their names.

Put a sticker on the index card and then write their name. This gives them a picture cue. K's & 1st graders and even older use picture cues when reading. Have them pick out their own sticker so they have ownership. This will also introduce reading left to right.
flying_babyb 04:39 PM 10-31-2017
would tempra work over crayon?
Mom2Two 10:52 AM 11-02-2017
I wouldn't push it, but you could expose them to their names and they will learn to recognize their names. One k-readiness class I took recommended that kids be exposed to their names in print 10 times a day. For the record, I do not do that myself. But the idea is that you can have their names on their cubbies, write it on their art work etc.

For one pre-k class I taught at a homeschool co-op, I made laminated name signs in different shapes and taped them on the walls and had kids find their own name.

But I wouldn't recommend pushing that for 2 and 3 year olds. The thinking is that teaching children that age to do academics teaches them to focus on right and wrong answers and to always be looking for adult approval in their learning. Exploration is considered better and supports cognitive development. Academics are not the same thing as cognitive development (e.g. problem solving etc)

Do you have enough places set up for free exploration? My kids never run out of things to do.
Baby Beluga 02:01 PM 11-02-2017
Just a random thought: I saw on a provider FB group some are making crayon name puzzles as Christmas gifts for their DCK's. You can purchase silicone letter molds on Amazon, melt the crayons, put in a cute box and viola! Just an idea for your kids
Tags:alphabet, name recognition
Reply Up