Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Canadians...Can I Ask A Question?
SilverSabre25 08:36 PM 11-08-2012
I've noticed that you guys refer to holidays as "stat" holidays...why stat? My brain wants to put an e on that and make it "state" but I guess because you don't have states that wouldn't make sense. But why "stat"?

(I've wondered for a long time, I hope no one finds this rude! I am just a very curious person and always want to know answers to things)
Greenplasticwateringcans 10:19 PM 11-08-2012
Stat = Statutory
Meyou 12:30 AM 11-09-2012
There are 6 statutory national holidays that everyone is entitled to have off with pay or be paid double time to work. There are also a ton of regular holidays where employers are not required to pay employees extra or give them the day off.

The stats are:
New Year's Day
Good Friday
Canada Day
Labor Day
Remembrance Day
Christmas Day.
Greenplasticwateringcans 05:10 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
There are 6 statutory national holidays that everyone is entitled to have off with pay or be paid double time to work. There are also a ton of regular holidays where employers are not required to pay employees extra or give them the day off.

The stats are:
New Year's Day
Good Friday
Canada Day
Labor Day
Remembrance Day
Christmas Day.
Stats and pay vary by Province and Territory.

In BC Family Day (Feb) is a new stat holiday as is Victoria Day (May). You have to have worked at a job for a certain amount of time and a certain amount of hours to be paid time and a half for stats. Government is always closed on Stats and uses Boxing Day (Dec 26th as a government holiday too which confuses a lot of people. Also if the holiday falls on a weekend, like Remembrance Day ( Nov 11) then the weekday closest will be the holiday.
Greenplasticwateringcans 05:12 AM 11-09-2012
*May Day isn't new...I just meant its am additional Stat.
DBug 05:19 AM 11-09-2012
Remembrance Day isn't a stat here in Ontario, except for federal employees. In this military town, that means technically the military have it as a stat, however most of them are working on parade, etc. So Monday (which would be the lieu day for Nov 11), I'm open .

I take New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Day, Labour Day and Thanksgiving Monday as paid stats. They're all fed stats (hubby's a civil servant, so he gets those days as stats too).
littlemissmuffet 05:48 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:

The stats are:
New Year's Day
Good Friday
Canada Day
Labor Day
Remembrance Day
Christmas Day.
Actually this completely depends where you are. My province considers 10 holidays to be paid stats off (or you are paid time and a half to work them).
SilverSabre25 07:32 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
Stat = Statutory
excellent, thank you! I figured it was short for something but I couldn't imagine what. That makes perfect sense. Phew! Now I can stop getting distracted by it every time I see it :P
Meyou 08:35 AM 11-09-2012
I didn't know that it was different in each province. My apologies.
Tags:canada, holidays, national holidays
Reply Up