Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Won’t Nap Unless Held...
ihop 11:03 AM 10-07-2013
I'm sure this has been addressed a million times but I'll ask anyway.

I have a 6mo in care. When he started a month ago he was my only baby so he got loves non stop and if or when he did take a ten minute nap I was usually holding him. Well now I have several other kiddos here, including ones younger.

My problem is that when he is tired and ready to nap, he must be held. If I put him in th pnp he will SCREAM. He cannot soothe himself. I know he is teething and extra fussy but it has gotten to the point where I cannot even put him down for tummy time with toys. Or in the exersucer. He just cones undone every time he is set down.

I love this baby but he is 20lbs an I cannot carry him all day an he is waking up all of the other kids with his crying.

How do I train him to stay calm and self soothe when I am not holding him?

I have tried singing, humming. Pacifier, talking in soothing voice, playing with him, snuggles on the floor,......
msmegandc 11:15 AM 10-07-2013
I have had several infants whose parents have created this habit. Unfortunately, you will have to let the baby cry it out until he/she realizes that they can go to sleep on their own. They never learn to "self soothe" until they are forced to do so. I have been a provider for almost 13 years and have had numerous infants do this. The parents are amazed when I can eventually put them down without any holding. It is really a bad habit and only hurts them. I had a mom that would always rock and pat her baby to sleep. I let him cry-it-out for a couple days and he got the hint. Each time his crying would decrease. Only advise I can give it start working on it now or he will always be a challenging napper!
ihop 11:16 AM 10-07-2013
How long do you let them cry for? Friday I tried, he cried nearly two hours.
blandino 11:50 AM 10-07-2013
Two hours is a long time for that baby to be able to keep it up.

At 6 months he should be able to learn some self-soothing techniques. In your state can they have a light blanket in bed ? Sometimes rubbing that on their face can help. Does baby take a paci ? That could also be a self soothing technique.

I have had many babies whose parents have created that same problem, and it is very hard to correct. I would stick to a routine, for putting him down. Lay him down when he is tired, come back every 10-15 minutes, rub his back or rub the blanket on his cheeks (to show him that it is soothing and he can do it too), then walk away and come back in another 10-15, and repeat. At 6 months he should start to get the hang of it. That age seems old for swaddling, so I don't think that's a good option, but I do do that with littler ones who need to be held.

IMHO you should get him able to put himself to sleep right now, because it only becomes more difficult the older they get.
ihop 12:04 PM 10-07-2013
Thanks! He occasionally takes a pacifier but no blankets are allowed. When I gave up after two hours and held him he fell to sleep the second I picked him up. Ugh. Well he's tired and it's nap time. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Unregistered 12:16 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
Thanks! He occasionally takes a pacifier but no blankets are allowed. When I gave up after two hours and held him he fell to sleep the second I picked him up. Ugh. Well he's tired and it's nap time. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Are you allowed to use a little square thing they sell at stores? Of course I can't remember what they are called right now! I knit or crochet a granny square. They have large holes and only about 6 inches. We are allowed to give older infants them to sleep with. It really helped a 10 month old I had.
ihop 02:09 PM 10-07-2013
Well an hour and a half in, he finally fell asleep. My heart may be physically broken after hearing him cry for so long and no picking him up. But he has been asleep for over 45min now.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
ihop 04:02 PM 10-07-2013
So happy to hear at pick up today that this mom is experiencing the same issues and wants to begin teaching him to self soothe. Hopefully she is committed and it and this may go a lot easier!
Tags:holding baby, sleep issues, won't sleep
Reply Up