Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do You all do With Those DCK's When They turn School Aged?
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:06 PM 03-21-2012
What I mean by that is, if you all dont do SA kids where do they go when they get older?

Do you tell the parents, sorry when they turn such n such an age they have to go?

My kids cant stay at home alone till 12yrs. so what do the parents do?
Blackcat31 02:10 PM 03-21-2012
We are over run in my community with after school and school age programs.

Our YMCA does Edu-care which is an after school program that is at each elementary school and runs from 3-6 pm. The YMCA also does a school age summer camp type program.

We have LOTS of options for SA kids here.

We also have no laws saying when a child can stay home alone after I think 9 yrs. It is still up to the parents to make that decison here.
JenNJ 02:11 PM 03-21-2012
I have no idea what parents do. I don't care, they aren't my kids. I do care until 5 or K. After that, its on the parent. Most seem to do an afterschool program or the Y.
AnneCordelia 02:19 PM 03-21-2012
Our local school has a before/after program for $12/day. I can't compete with that! LOL.

I don't particularly enjoy the SA crowd so I don't offer that care anyway. I don't tell parents that...but when the time comes that they are registering for kindy is when I tell them that I don't provide care for SAers.
Greenplasticwateringcans 02:29 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
What I mean by that is, if you all dont do SA kids where do they go when they get older?

Do you tell the parents, sorry when they turn such n such an age they have to go?

My kids cant stay at home alone till 12yrs. so what do the parents do?
Before and after school care if the school has it.

Local rec centers offer school aged care.

Some daycares only take school agers.
daycare 02:31 PM 03-21-2012
mine age out. I don't do SA....so they get replaced
DCMom 02:32 PM 03-21-2012
I used to keep them until the youngest sibling hit the first day of kindy; starting in Sept I am not keeping them beyond day 1 of school. I have two school age spots, but I will keep those for the pre-kinder kids.

My families have all been made aware so they can plan ahead for after school programs, etc,
mrsp'slilpeeps 03:05 PM 03-21-2012
I cant fathom having to tell the parents that their kids have to go to someone else because the kids are too old to stay here.

I thought that's what running a daycare was all about, careing for your kids until such time that they are old enough to stay home or parents move on.
daycare 03:10 PM 03-21-2012
I cant fathom having to tell the parents that their kids have to go to someone else because the kids are too old to stay here.

I thought that's what running a daycare was all about, careing for your kids until such time that they are old enough to stay home or parents move on.
School agers don't work with my program. I teach preschool....I do the same thing the preschools do, Give a graduation, say good-bye as they move on to big boy school and give them the number to the before and after school program.

do you have SA and preschool ages mixed together? I did it once and will never again. Within 3 days all of my preschoolers were repeating everything the 6 year old SA said. This is lame, I'm bored, you're stupid, I don't have to if I don't want to. I don't have to listen to you, you are not my mother. ALL of my littles picked up on it and were repeating it. Thank god it was only for 3 weeks and they left after that....They wanted to come back and I said no thankyou....

YOu have to realize that we can only do what works for us and our group. If we know we can't handle something then I feel it is right that we let that child move on. Regardless of the childs age....
Greenplasticwateringcans 03:18 PM 03-21-2012

Not for my program and bank account.

If I took school agers permanently it would be at a cost loss to me of 66%.

I let people who want to and can properly care for school agers do that job. Win win for everyone.

......I'll have to bookmark my reply for when I have someone ask me to take their schools ager for a few days this summer lol
DCMom 03:25 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
Some daycares only take school agers.
I've often thought it be fun to do this, especially when my kids WERE the SA's, lol. But how do you make a living during the school year? I've never been able to figure out a way to make it work.

It's not schoolagers I don't like necessarily...it's the mix of them with the littles. Just a group of 5-9 or so would be kinda fun.
Country Kids 03:29 PM 03-21-2012
I can only have 10 children totally, only 6 can be preschoolers. If I didn't fill those other 4 spots with sa, I would lose out on money. It takes me 1.5 hours a day to make what a full time child would bring by watching 4 schoolagers-its worth it to me.
nannyde 03:29 PM 03-21-2012

For me ageing out is when they no longer need a nap. That can happen as infants, toddlers, preK, or school agers.
DCMom 03:30 PM 03-21-2012

I've done daycare for 20+ years and I used to feel this way. However, in the last few years something happens to those kids when they go to school...they come come back mouthy, antsy and disrespectful. I'm painting with a broad brush here because there are one or two of my SA's that I would keep but for the most part I'm not sorry to see them go. And I've had these kids since infancy.

It kind of makes me sad that it's come to this for me, but I can't do it any longer.
mrsp'slilpeeps 04:01 PM 03-21-2012
So what do you do when you have siblings and one is sa and the other is prek or k?

Keep one and not the other?

Makes no sence to me.
daycare 04:05 PM 03-21-2012
So what do you do when you have siblings and one is sa and the other is prek or k?

Makes no sence to me.
yes... I only take kids 20months to 5 years of age as long as they are NOT enrolled in school.

I have plenty of families that have younger and or older kids in a different Childcare because they love my program and they really want their child here and they dont meet my age requirements or limits...

I don't understand why you think its wrong. You choose to offer a differnt service than some of us. We don't do SA care. YOu do. Parents know this from dayone
Greenplasticwateringcans 04:08 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
yes... I only take kids 20months to 5 years of age as long as they are NOT enrolled in school.

I have plenty of families that have younger and or older kids in a different Childcare because they love my program and they really want their child here and they dont meet my age requirements or limits...

I don't understand why you think its wrong. You choose to offer a differnt service than some of us. We don't do SA care. YOu do. Parents know this from dayone
Exactly this. Parents know my service does not include permanent school age care.
Crazy8 04:59 PM 03-21-2012

really??? I don't see too many "daycares" that take older children, even the centers - there are separate aftercare programs for that - we have PAL, YMCA, school run programs, etc. that are all options for parents who just need an hour or two before or after school. I run a daycare for young children, most leave even for a year of preschool before kindy. My program isn't suited for older kids at all.
Meyou 02:45 AM 03-22-2012
The kids that age out here go into other home daycares or school based afterschool programs. I keep ones that go to the same school as my dd but since all the kids walk if they don't live close they go elsewhere. I've been lucky enough to have 3 of my favorites go to a friend's dayhome in another school district. She happens to do only SA care and I happened to have 3 favorites that live in her school district. I still get to see them frequently.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 03-22-2012

Makes no sence to me.
Absolutely. I currently have 4 families who have older children that do not attend my program. I don't see what is so odd about that. It is the same concept as having one kid in elementary school and one in middle or high school. Two or more drop offs, two or more places of attendance.....what is weird about that?

Parents all completely understand that mixing older ones with younger ones isn't always ideal....I mean they live with it at home every day so they know....

I have never ever had a parent not understand or be upset that their kids aren't together at daycare.

By the time a kid reaches school age, they have a completely different set of needs than the younger under SA kids do. I actually think most my parents appreciate the fact that their kids go different places. I think it probably cuts down on squabbling at home since their kids didn't spend all day together.

IMO, another downfall of having an older SA kid who has a sib at daycare is the older one wants to "parent" the little one. Either because they want to or the parents tell them to keep an eye out for "little sis/bro"....... I HATE that! It robs the little one of an opportunity to be independent and it makes the older ones feel responsible when it isn't their job.
Reply Up