Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I May Have Over-Reacted
Sunchimes 02:41 PM 03-22-2012
My 18 mo with pneumonia/RSV came back yesterday for 6 hours. She did fine although she has a runny nose and an awful cough.

She came back at lunchtime today. She was cheerful and seemed in a good mood. But her cough was even worse, croupy sounding. She got here just at lunchtime, so I put them in their high chairs and went to get lunch. She was coughing like crazy and then she threw up. It was phlegmy and I was pretty sure it was cough related. No big deal. I cleaned everything up and went back for lunch. By this time, she had quit coughing.

About 5 minutes goes by while I reheat what needs it and just as I'm about to serve it, she throws up again--this time the real thing--stomach stuff. I cleaned her up and called her mom to get her. If mom had been working, I might have waited and not counted the first time, but she wasn't working (which is fine-she paid for the time.)

Anyway, mom came and got her with no argument, but she was a little peeved. Did I do wrong by calling her? Except for the cough and nose, she seemed to feel ok. She was only here about half an hour, so I'm just assuming she would have played ok since she did yesterday.

Just curious about what you would have done.
sharlan 02:44 PM 03-22-2012
I would have called on the second vomit.
bice99 02:52 PM 03-22-2012
Yep - send her home! I probably would have sent her home the first time b/c we don't have time to deal with all of the clean up involved with that. What if she threw up in her PNP during nap b/c she was coughing hard? If they are that sick, they need to be home, especially since mom wasn't working!
mema 02:55 PM 03-22-2012
You did the right thing. Throw up=home. Poor baby. Hopefully she'll feel better soon.
cheerfuldom 03:14 PM 03-22-2012
i would have called at the first time.
Sunchimes 03:27 PM 03-22-2012
Thanks y'all. I was feeling bad and thinking that I might should refund today's pay or something. I feel better now.
Greenplasticwateringcans 03:40 PM 03-22-2012
I would have called after the second throw up. You absolutely did the right thing and don't let mom make you feel badly.
MizzCheryl 05:32 PM 03-22-2012
Right thing! Maybe mom wasn't peeved at you, maybe just the situation of her child being sick. I would want to be called if my child puked.
saved4always 06:54 PM 03-22-2012
I would have called at the first one. If she was coughing so hard that she puked, she is too sick to be at daycare. She needs to be home.
LittleD 06:11 AM 03-26-2012
Of course she's going to be peeved. She payed for the day and so she probably had plans. Really though, she is sick and needed to be home. Any normal human being would be upset cuz they had plans, and now those plans fell through. She'll get over it!
littlemissmuffet 06:28 AM 03-26-2012
I don't care what caused the vomit, they get sent home the second time... sometimes the first depending on the situation. I don't have time to be cleaning up puke all day. Also, I'd rather do without the extra exposure of passing illness along!
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I don't care what caused the vomit, they get sent home the second time... sometimes the first depending on the situation. I don't have time to be cleaning up puke all day. Also, I'd rather do without the extra exposure of passing illness along!
Puke is puke.....I don't care either why they puke. I am just NOT going to deal with it. I love how some parents will immediatley say the puke is from coughing. Like that makes it any easier to clean up!

I had a DCM tell me last week that her 22 month old threw up because of teething! Now I actually have heard everything!

Here if a DCK throws up, they go home and stay home the next day too.
SunshineMama 07:09 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
My 18 mo with pneumonia/RSV came back yesterday for 6 hours. She did fine although she has a runny nose and an awful cough.

She came back at lunchtime today. She was cheerful and seemed in a good mood. But her cough was even worse, croupy sounding. She got here just at lunchtime, so I put them in their high chairs and went to get lunch. She was coughing like crazy and then she threw up. It was phlegmy and I was pretty sure it was cough related. No big deal. I cleaned everything up and went back for lunch. By this time, she had quit coughing.

About 5 minutes goes by while I reheat what needs it and just as I'm about to serve it, she throws up again--this time the real thing--stomach stuff. I cleaned her up and called her mom to get her. If mom had been working, I might have waited and not counted the first time, but she wasn't working (which is fine-she paid for the time.)

Anyway, mom came and got her with no argument, but she was a little peeved. Did I do wrong by calling her? Except for the cough and nose, she seemed to feel ok. She was only here about half an hour, so I'm just assuming she would have played ok since she did yesterday.

Just curious about what you would have done.
You did the right thing. I would have called for pick up after the first vomit.
Reply Up